Back to VVVVVV (V1.2.4)

Started by FIQ, May 28, 2012, 08:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avengah

Sorry, I got stuck again. There's a glitch in the DIY VI Repair room. I had 14 trinkets at that point (including THAT one, yes), and all that happened is it said "Hm" when I used the PS terminal, and nothing happened when I used the T7 terminal.

Ah, got it, looking through the script - it seems that the Polar Dimension PS script "trinketcheckbonus" is faulty. It fails to allow for the possibility of getting that bonus trinket before going to the Polar PS for the first time. An extra line in that script is needed: ifflag(39,diyvirepair)

I think, anyway. That looks like it might fix the problem. Otherwise, I think you have to wait until you've activated all power sources before going for the bonus trinket, maybe?

Spoiler: Oh, by the way, I cheated. Sorry! I noticed something in the scripts about 21 and I knew it was nothing to do with the one in the bonus area (that's unobtainable), so I found a bonus text string. I didn't know which area it was for, though, but I tried it in each area until I found it.

FIQ

Quote from: avengah on October 13, 2012, 06:09:18 PM
Sorry, I got stuck again. There's a glitch in the DIY VI Repair room. I had 14 trinkets at that point (including THAT one, yes), and all that happened is it said "Hm" when I used the PS terminal, and nothing happened when I used the T7 terminal.

Ah, got it, looking through the script - it seems that the Polar Dimension PS script "trinketcheckbonus" is faulty. It fails to allow for the possibility of getting that bonus trinket before going to the Polar PS for the first time. An extra line in that script is needed: ifflag(39,diyvirepair)

I think, anyway. That looks like it might fix the problem. Otherwise, I think you have to wait until you've activated all power sources before going for the bonus trinket, maybe?

Spoiler: Oh, by the way, I cheated. Sorry! I noticed something in the scripts about 21 and I knew it was nothing to do with the one in the bonus area (that's unobtainable), so I found a bonus text string. I didn't know which area it was for, though, but I tried it in each area until I found it.
I know exactly what the problem is. The reason is that I use "iftrinketsless()", a faulty command that doesn't work as expected. Download the other .vvvvvv file and connect your save to it (That one isn't really stable and has a weird spawn location, but as long as you use your old save, things should work), that one has this bug fixed.

When I release the final version, all this DIY VI repair mess will be completly gone.

blue626

Don't forget that spoilers are white and quote boxes are blue! I didn't read everything...

I'm thinking of playing this level... when I have time.
What do you mean by connecting the save to it? Isn't the devbuild your level? (What do you mean bt devbuild, btw?)

avengah

There isn't an iftrinketsless command in that trinketcheckbonus script. All it does is say "Hm...", check one flag and check if you've got 21 trinkets - that's it. So, if that flag isn't set and you've got less than 21 trinkets, it just stops there.

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on October 13, 2012, 07:14:03 PM
What do you mean by connecting the save to it? Isn't the devbuild your level? (What do you mean bt devbuild, btw?)

Making sure the name of the old save file is the same as the name of the new version!

avengah

It also does nothing (not even Hm...) if you've already been through the polar dimension and got less than 21 trinkets. However, this isn't fatal because you can still get out. Maybe that's where the iftrinketsless command was used? I haven't checked the scripts that much.

EDIT: It ALSO does nothing if you've GOT 21 trinkets! So you can't complete the game if you get that one extra!

FIQ

Quote from: avengah on October 13, 2012, 07:17:53 PM
There isn't an iftrinketsless command in that trinketcheckbonus script. All it does is say "Hm...", check one flag and check if you've got 21 trinkets - that's it. So, if that flag isn't set and you've got less than 21 trinkets, it just stops there.
Did you try the devbuild? It should solve your problem. If not, I'll have to look into it again...

In general, DIY VI Repair never worked as I wanted before I got rid of iftrinketsless() completly. The devbuild completly rewrote all the if checks, this time excluding the faulty command, so it should definitely work!

EDIT: Turns out that my proposed fix for making chained gravitrons not stop bullet spawning didn't work! Argh! As I don't really want to remove them, I'll throw in a disclaimer instead.

FIQ

Quote from: blue626 on October 13, 2012, 07:14:03 PM
Don't forget that spoilers are white and quote boxes are blue! I didn't read everything...

I'm thinking of playing this level... when I have time.
I name my levels that before releasing them to sort my backups. I just threw in the latest (not bug tested) version into this forum when I realized that DIY VI Repair still didn't work as intended, as that one rewrote that part to fix all the bugs.

FIQ

Quote from: avengah on October 13, 2012, 05:11:40 PM
Sorry, I've just found another glitch. I loaded my save and it started me in the Gravitron on the ship, with only the lower line there. I'm stuck! I think this is because I saved on the ship after doing the Gravitron.
Yep, that's why.
It's fixed in the version I have locally, though!

blue626

So, I can start playing your level from the "devbuild"? I already put it in the "VVVVVV" folder, I think... Is it supposed to be named "vvvvvv.vvvvvv"?

FIQ

Quote from: blue626 on October 13, 2012, 08:07:03 PM
So, I can start playing your level from the "devbuild"? I already put it in the "VVVVVV" folder, I think... Is it supposed to be named "vvvvvv.vvvvvv"?
I think it has spawn point set wrong, that's why I only wanted people to use it if the beta 2c doesn't work.

avengah

No, the spawn point is fine. I've just played through the whole thing.

May I make a suggestion? It'd be better if you remove the left warp line in "Remember Super Gravitron?" - it's possible to do it without using that line, and I did it the hard way the first time.

EDIT: This isn't a problem with your level, but it's a problem with VVVVVV. Finishing with 21 trinkets only gets you one star for completion. You have to finish with exactly 20 to get two stars. Shame really, but you have to complete it at least once with 20 to get that second star. I don't think there's a way to fix it unless you can set Trinkets to 20 at the exact point you collect the final crew member?

FIQ

Quote from: avengah on October 13, 2012, 08:47:57 PM
No, the spawn point is fine. I've just played through the whole thing.

May I make a suggestion? It'd be better if you remove the left warp line in "Remember Super Gravitron?" - it's possible to do it without using that line, and I did it the hard way the first time.

EDIT: This isn't a problem with your level, but it's a problem with VVVVVV. Finishing with 21 trinkets only gets you one star for completion. You have to finish with exactly 20 to get two stars. Shame really, but you have to complete it at least once with 20 to get that second star. I don't think there's a way to fix it unless you can set Trinkets to 20 at the exact point you collect the final crew member?
Yeah, that's a shame, I found that out when it was kind of too late...

Anyway, I *know* it's possible to that room the hard way, but I wanted to hint at another solution. I'll think about it :P

I've done everything I wanted before releasing 1.0 now. I'll playtest tomorrow and in case I don't find any bugs, I'll release it!

Fixes since beta 2.0c:
* DIY VI Repair works. For sure this time! Really! I hope so...
* Saving in gravitrons works
* There's now a disclaimer in the ship about gravitron chaining
* There isn't random terminals missing in the ship anymore
* There's a little monologue right before ending the level to "justify" rescuing Victoria
* You cannot get the wrong music playing without editing the save file manually now. Eheheh... (Also, this "bug" exists in the main game in some places :3)
* Proper credits info
* The ship map coordinates is hidden until the ending now. Also hides the teleporter hub before you go there by yourself
* Made a very minor nerf to Spike Pit
* There isn't any obvious internal script trigger in the polar dimension entry anymore
* Fixed possibility to die in the secret area due to Inversed Floors being right above it (this wasn't supposed to be possible)
* Ship jukebox semi-works. I've yet to find out exactly how to light terminals manually, but you should at least be able to trigger them more than once now.
* Fixed VVVVVV 2.0 bug related to music stopping (mostly seen in time trial in the original game) affecting two of my internal scripts.
* Fixed a less brutal respawn if you manage to die after doing the first part of the dimension story without hitting a checkpoint.
* The locator now acknowledges the lack of a map in VVVVVV 2.0. I can't really do more than saying that 2.1 is recommended there, though...

FIQ

The stable version 1.0 has just been released! See the first post for changelog and download

Dav999

All right! I played it again and I made a bug list:

• Press ENTER to activate terminal during the first cutscene
  • Sometimes, during a cutscene with dialogues, the game just waits until you press enter, I guess there was supposed to be a text box there, but it didn't appear
  • Some room names are different ('Chinese Room' should be called 'Chinese Rooms', 'Seeing Dollar $ign$' is actually called '$eeing Dollar $ign$', and 'The Hanged Man, Reverse' should be 'The Hanged Man, Reversed' but those are just small details)
  • [grammar-nazi-mode]Some grammar mistakes (like Two Remains, One Remain, and 'Every source isn't on yet')[/grammar-nazi-mode]
  • You still can't use teleporter terminals to set the destination twice without leaving the room (same for the jukebox) ???