Previous topic - Next topic

FIQ

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on February 04, 2013, 03:01:48 PM
Quote from: FIQ on February 04, 2013, 01:54:40 PM
I was a little bored...

...so I made a way to access all the 7 levels in-game by a cheat menu. :3
Not done yet, though.

HOLY CRAP I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO DO THAT
You can look at the scripts in the level editor (they all start with levelselect) once 1.2 is released.

FIQ

The cheat code system I thought up is coming along nicely. Once this thing is finished, and a playtest give no issues, I'll release Back to VVVVVV 1.2 with bugfixes and some new features, probably sometime in the coming week.

Also, I looked at the main post, and whoa, 76 downloads. :o

FIQ

Sorry but I'll have to delay V1.2.

I've just run into a hard limit on the amount of scripts you can have in a level at the same time.

I hardly need more scripts than I already have (only about 20 max) to get V1.2 in the state I want, but I want to optimize away a noticeable amount of scripts so that I hardly ever stumble upon the limit again.

Until I've done this, I'll not be able to continue development.

Fussmatte

Quote from: FIQ on February 14, 2013, 04:28:23 PM
Sorry but I'll have to delay V1.2.

I've just run into a hard limit on the amount of scripts you can have in a level at the same time.

I hardly need more scripts than I already have (only about 20 max) to get V1.2 in the state I want, but I want to optimize away a noticeable amount of scripts so that I hardly ever stumble upon the limit again.

Until I've done this, I'll not be able to continue development.

I had to

FIQ

Optimizations are complete and I've resumed development. 1.2 will have several bug fixes and some new features, and will be released most likely in tomorrow. Due to the optimizations done, you will NOT be able to continue on an old save file, sorry, this wasn't the plan!

A non-final changelog can be seen in page 8.

FIQ

Version 1.2 has been released!

Changelog below:
* Fixed clearing Platform Arena playing a flip sound effect instead of the level complete song in some cirumstances
* Fixed using TD resulting in "Level part completed! @ Life Factory" dialog if you had Potential for Anything activated in jukebox
* Altered the terminal in Crossway to give a more useful hint for 2.0 users.
* Made trinket locator usable for 2.0 users
* Made a room right of the trinket locator which you can use to check which trinkets you've found and which you miss currently
* Made the terminal in Crossway usable for 2.0 users
* Made a trinket room available before the end
* Made a TF pointing to the second dimensional tunnel (disabled before you complete the first phase of the level)
* Created a visible divot in Teleporter Divot
* Made *all* rooms in Dimensional Tunnel "wrap", there used to be a few rooms which didn't.
* Fixed a bug in which Vitellary (and possibly Vita) would disappear when choosing teleporter destination.
* Cheat code system. Codes are listed at the ship.
* Altered Into The Platform Arena slightly.
* Buffed Flip Training
* Nerfed Better Safe Than Sorry, Right?
* Fixed a typo in a roomname (Walk Agsint The Flow -> Walk Against The Flow)
* Placed checkpoints in DT (polar -> VVVVVV) at the trinket paths to make you walk less
* Placed several new checkpoints in the overworld to prevent dying in the few spots you can die at taking you to somewhere else far away
* Made a terminal at DT before the trinkets which comments a little on them, just for fun
* Made several script optimizations to account for hard limit of 500 scripts per level
* Fixed several typos
* Fixed a bug in the initial cutscene that made text boxes not show up correctly, and then crash VVVVVV if you button mash ACTION
* Removed an enemy in Easier Than it Looks to prevent dying by sheer (un)luck (this isn't a nerf in practice)
* Added persistent Vermilion at the ship, explaining the gravitron terminals.
* Added a 22nd trinket challenge -- complete the game (activate polar PS with 20 trinkets) and only ever activate destination teleporters in the hub personally 2 times

If you want to try out cheats without beating the level, I also list them here:

Cheat codes are written by accessing the different teleport terminals in the hub. For example, 1337 means that you'll first turn on T1, then T3, then T3 once again, then T7. Once you've done this, use the terminal without a T(number) in the red room in the hub. Keep in mind that you do NOT have to have permission to use the different teleporter destination setters, codes will work even if you get "Permission denied!" when activating them.

Code list:
DEAD - Start over, kinda like a new game plus (Only available once you finish the level completely)
FEED - Spawn all the trinkets you've yet to collect (Doesn't include the 2 extra challenge trinkets)
1994 - Level Select Menu
1EE7 - Make the 4 primary levels (Life Factory, The Maze, Platform Arena, Inversed Floors) completed
53C7 - Open access to Secret Area (the area with a warp token denying access before you activate all power sources)
D357 - Make all teleporters available for use

Note that while I've tested doing the game with cheats, there might arise some issues if you sequence break using them (like going to DT without clearing all the other levels, etc).

FIQ

I realized that I forgot to fix two things in 1.2 that I intended to do. Thus, I'll release a 1.2.1 release. This also allows me to alter DT slightly, to make the trinkets a little easier. 1.2.1 has the following changes:
* Fixed a typo in the last dialog before the level ends
* Improved the dialog at the end to point out that the level will end immediately afterwards, and should you want to explore more, you're recommended to save
* Nerfed trinket challenges in Dimensional Tunnel
* Moved the DT challenge explanation terminal to the right side, to prevent users from accidentally skipping the first trinket (Riosha did this twice and I don't think it was intended)

FIQ

I found some issues. While I'm mostly happy with how the level is right now, it would be cool if they were fixed.
I probably wont release a new version soon, though.

Things to do for an eventual 1.3:
* Fixed various (minor) tile errors in the level
* Moved T4 terminal a little to the right to prevent game complete amount of flips text to be hard to read due to it going through it.
* Decreased amount of minimun teleporters to get an extra challenge award at game completion from 2 to 1 due to an oversight (you can complete the game and only use the teleporters once, without abusing invincibility nor glitches).
* Maybe alter how special challenges are awarded, to work around the 2 star problem, and not have to do special handling for DIY VI Repair if you complete them.
* No Death mode

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on March 22, 2013, 12:52:36 PM
* No Death mode

How would that work? Other level? Or a title screen like the level select menu?

FIQ

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on March 22, 2013, 12:54:12 PM
Quote from: FIQ on March 22, 2013, 12:52:36 PM
* No Death mode

How would that work? Other level? Or a title screen like the level select menu?
EDIT: Turns out I might be wrong after doing some quick math. I'll investigate this to see if it's theoretically possible to merge the modes. However, due to the 500 script limit, I would have to do some optimizations most likely.

EDIT2: No, it wont work. First, it wont look good. Second, while it's possible if I reuse IDs, that would most likely introduce various bugs everywhere with checkpoints being lit when they shouldn't. So, no, I'll have to make it a different level.

Fussmatte

Quote from: FIQHi. I've had some fun with the internal-script-activation bug. No, I'm not planning on using it in a submitted level. Actually that would be a very bad idea as I discovered that segfaults are a common thing when playing with this (Also I messed up my save one time :P )
It's funny how this statement has been rendered entirely invalid now

FIQ

Quote from: Doormat on March 31, 2013, 10:15:26 PM
Quote from: FIQHi. I've had some fun with the internal-script-activation bug. No, I'm not planning on using it in a submitted level. Actually that would be a very bad idea as I discovered that segfaults are a common thing when playing with this (Also I messed up my save one time :P )
It's funny how this statement has been rendered entirely invalid now
Meh, that was before I realized that if you know exactly what you're doing, you'll be fine.

If 2.2 was actually released with more powerful simplified scripting, I have a feeling this wouldn't exist (and if it would, it wouldn't be like this). It started out as a proof of concept of what you could do with internal scripting, but ended up being a fully playable level (and according to most people, a good one!)

sv6z2

Whoa, the level is totally awesome  :viridian:
but how did you replicate rooms of the real game?

10 / 10
:shiny:

Fussmatte

Yeah, I kinda wondered that myself. He made an exact copy of Dimension VVVVVV... did he copy all the rooms of the game by hand? ???

sv6z2

Quote from: Rainbow Dash on April 16, 2013, 10:49:09 PM
Yeah, I kinda wondered that myself. He made an exact copy of Dimension VVVVVV... did he copy all the rooms of the game by hand? ???
Hmmm...
My suspicion is he copied D. VVVVVV room data into his level and then edited them. (if you can do that)