Author Topic: Internal commands  (Read 258370 times)

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: Internal commands
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2012, 12:40:25 PM »
Why, when you use createentity you create trinkets, and collect more than 50, you get "Lots out of Twenty"? Weird, it's similar to the 21st trinket glitch I mentioned before. What does it say when you collect 21? And 22? And >22? It's weird because the number of trinkets is written in words, not numbers.
I think that the maximum number of anything wouldn't go above 50, and that if you go above that it would say 'Lots'. I think that those words were put in the game before the idea to put 20 trinkets in the game.

Anything? Isn't it just for trinkets? Or, do you mean crewmates? Try to make a costum level with 50 crewmates, if that's what you mean. Also, is there a limit for the number of crewmates in costum levels? I'm sure it's >19, because Dim. WWWWWW has 20.
Well, he already had the idea of having 20 trinkets in the 1st prototype (get one of them and "You found a shiny trinket; One out of Twenty" will appear). But, that explains the existence of "Lots", the rest of the numbers and the 21st trinket glitch.

EDIT: According to one of FIQ's posts, companion(x) might work if you use numbers instead of colors. I don't know why it only worked for :vermillion: when PJBottomz tried.

Companion only works with numbers, and in the real game, only numbers are used. Strangely enough, only if you use it with :vermillion:, he will walk across screens. :-\ Maybe it has something to do with that his teleporter is to the right, and most of the others had to leave on the left or something.

:verdigris: also leaves to the right, so that can't be the reason. What is it, then?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:41:56 PM by blue626 »

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2012, 01:24:11 PM »
Why, when you use createentity you create trinkets, and collect more than 50, you get "Lots out of Twenty"? Weird, it's similar to the 21st trinket glitch I mentioned before. What does it say when you collect 21? And 22? And >22? It's weird because the number of trinkets is written in words, not numbers.
I think that the maximum number of anything wouldn't go above 50, and that if you go above that it would say 'Lots'. I think that those words were put in the game before the idea to put 20 trinkets in the game.

Anything? Isn't it just for trinkets? Or, do you mean crewmates? Try to make a costum level with 50 crewmates, if that's what you mean. Also, is there a limit for the number of crewmates in costum levels? I'm sure it's >19, because Dim. WWWWWW has 20.
Well, he already had the idea of having 20 trinkets in the 1st prototype (get one of them and "You found a shiny trinket; One out of Twenty" will appear). But, that explains the existence of "Lots", the rest of the numbers and the 21st trinket glitch.

What I meant was that Terry probably put those words in the game before deciding there would be 20 trinkets and certainly before deciding the maximum number of crewmates in custom levels would be 20. He didn't know how many trinkets there was going to be, so he could just put in 50 trinkets without having to change the words.

EDIT: According to one of FIQ's posts, companion(x) might work if you use numbers instead of colors. I don't know why it only worked for :vermillion: when PJBottomz tried.

Companion only works with numbers, and in the real game, only numbers are used. Strangely enough, only if you use it with :vermillion:, he will walk across screens. :-\ Maybe it has something to do with that his teleporter is to the right, and most of the others had to leave on the left or something.

:verdigris: also leaves to the right, so that can't be the reason. What is it, then?

I have no idea, maybe a compile bug or something? :-\ I really wouldn't know.

FIQ

• Captain
  • https://github.com/FredrIQ/
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »

What I meant was that Terry probably put those words in the game before deciding there would be 20 trinkets and certainly before deciding the maximum number of crewmates in custom levels would be 20. He didn't know how many trinkets there was going to be, so he could just put in 50 trinkets without having to change the words.

I have no idea, maybe a compile bug or something? :-\ I really wouldn't know.
No, the problem is that rooms which may or may not have crewmates are hardcoded, and which one that should be used. That's why in most rooms companion() doesn't work at all. Make a 20,20 map and be around Warp Zone, and Verdigris will show up after the right companion() numbers. Etc.

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
But then why does :vermillion: work everywhere (everywhere I tested, at least)? Is it because the tower level is not a usual level you can't really give the tower coordinates?

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »
But then why does :vermillion: work everywhere (everywhere I tested, at least)? Is it because the tower level is not a usual level you can't really give the tower coordinates?

It probably isn't, because :vermillion: isn't on "The Tower", but on the room "Seeing Red" after the tower. He can't even get to the Tower, because there's a large "step" in "Seeing Red" and crewmates can't flip when they follow :viridian: like that.

Wait, it sill don't understand why the word "Lots" exists in the game and appears when you get >50 trinkets. Even if the game would have more than 50 trinkets, the player should know when he has got all of them, so, creating the word "Lots" doesn't make sense (at least for me). Only Terry knows why.

FIQ

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »

It probably isn't, because :vermillion: isn't on "The Tower", but on the room "Seeing Red" after the tower. He can't even get to the Tower, because there's a large "step" in "Seeing Red" and crewmates can't flip when they follow :viridian: like that.

Wait, it sill don't understand why the word "Lots" exists in the game and appears when you get >50 trinkets. Even if the game would have more than 50 trinkets, the player should know when he has got all of them, so, creating the word "Lots" doesn't make sense (at least for me). Only Terry knows why.
Lots is just a fallback... Would you rather see " out of Twenty" instead of "Lots out of Twenty"?

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »
Yes, I think 'Lots' was meant for when something glitched and it is above 50 and there is nothing else to display. Just like when you change the map music to 0a, 5a or 9a manually in the vvvvvv file, and you want to change the map music from the level menu, it says the current song is "?: something else", but still plays it.

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »
So, what you're saying is that Terry thought that there might be glitches that make having more than the maximum number of trinkets possible, am I right?. I suppose that's possible.

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2012, 02:36:26 PM »
Or people changing their save file...?

<trinkets>51</trinkets>

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »

:viridian:

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2012, 03:16:47 PM »
Let me guess: You wrote a negative number in the trinkets number in the save file. Am I right? If so, what did it say about the number of trinkets? Nothing (Like "out of Twenty)?

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
Let me guess: You wrote a negative number in the trinkets number in the save file. Am I right?

Yes! I wrote -1.

If so, what did it say about the number of trinkets? Nothing (Like "out of Twenty)?

No. It said "Lots out of Twenty" :D Lots is just the word for anything that's not 0-50, as it's more likely that people have too many trinkets than that people end up with a negative amount of trinkets.

FIQ

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »
I re-downloaded 2.0 from Steam and tried it with my own level to see if there were any difference. I found *one* difference, so it seems that internal commands are pretty much interchangeable between versions.

The difference: I use musicfadeout() in one instance (actually 2, but in the same way), and resumed the music with play(<the song ID>). This didn't work in 2.0 for some reason and refused to play the track again. I've a great feeling that this is in fact the same bug that stops music in Time Trials after a retry. Anyway, a workaround is just to play another soundtrack and then change immediately - preferably a quiet song like "Presenting VVVVVV" to avoid it from being noticed.

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2012, 12:49:41 PM »
I re-downloaded 2.0 from Steam and tried it with my own level to see if there were any difference. I found *one* difference, so it seems that internal commands are pretty much interchangeable between versions.

The difference: I use musicfadeout() in one instance (actually 2, but in the same way), and resumed the music with play(<the song ID>). This didn't work in 2.0 for some reason and refused to play the track again. I've a great feeling that this is in fact the same bug that stops music in Time Trials after a retry. Anyway, a workaround is just to play another soundtrack and then change immediately - preferably a quiet song like "Presenting VVVVVV" to avoid it from being noticed.

I can see why that happens. If you want to play a song by using a command, and that song is already playing, it won't change anything. It might not have registered that that song has stopped playing, so it doesn't do anything. However, if you restart a time trial, it doesn't ALWAYS refuse to play again. What happens if you first use play(0) and then restart the song?

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »
However, if you restart a time trial, it doesn't ALWAYS refuse to play again.

Really? It always refuses when I restart a Time Trial.

Maybe it erases the play command before executing the script if it's the same as the song that's playing and in 2.1.beta it erases it only after executing the commands before it?

EDIT: This thread already has 10 pages! And it's the 3rd with most replies in this forum!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:36:17 PM by blue626 »