Internal commands

Started by Hilbert, July 28, 2012, 01:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilbert

Quote from: Dav999 on September 09, 2012, 07:40:51 PM
or the dimension is 200 rooms tall, for example.

Actually, most likely, it has warp lines.

Dav999

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on September 10, 2012, 08:56:35 PM

Huh? That was blue626's text, not mine! ???

Hilbert

Oh, WHOOPS! Sorry, there were so many quotes when I quoted that...

Dav999

:viridian:

And on topic: warplanes warp lines (auto correct) is the most likely. After that comes wrapping around the map.

FIQ

The polar dimension is only limited in the sense that computers cannot store infinitely large numbers.

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on September 10, 2012, 09:16:35 PM

And on topic: warplanes warp lines (auto correct) is the most likely. After that comes wrapping around the map.

Read this thread: Outer Space
It's understandable that both of you didn't read it. I created it before any of you registered.
What do you mean by wrapping around the map? Doing that would result in a collision error, as you have to hit the rooms "V", "VV", etc. sometime. Like I said, it could be 200 rooms tall, but, according to FIQ (see below), it's much larger!

Quote from: FIQ on September 10, 2012, 09:20:17 PM
The polar dimension is only limited in the sense that computers cannot store infinitely large numbers.

I guess you mean that its width and height is the biggest number VVVVVV can calculate, right? If so, then it's something like 264. That's 1,845x1019. :o To calculate the # of rooms I have to calculate (264)2, which is 2128, which is 3,403x1038. So many rooms! :o

Dav999

Then the map wrapping is disabled for that coordinate, that means, if you go to the top, you don't pop out from the bottom. Or there are 4 outer space rooms, which act like one wrapping room (go to the edge of the right room and pop out in the left room, without having two halves of :viridian: on the screen). At least, that would explain this:

Quote from: blue626 on May 04, 2012, 06:25:47 PM
However, if you go to the edge of the room and stay there, you don't see part of Viridian on one side  and the other part on the other side;

Of course, this would have to be hardcoded.

Hilbert

Quote from: blue626 on September 11, 2012, 03:09:47 PM

Quote from: Dav999 on September 10, 2012, 09:16:35 PM

Read this thread: Outer Space
It's understandable that both of you didn't read it. I created it before any of you registered.
What do you mean by wrapping around the map? Doing that would result in a collision error, as you have to hit the rooms "V", "VV", etc. sometime. Like I said, it could be 200 rooms tall, but, according to FIQ (see below), it's much larger!

Quote from: FIQ on September 10, 2012, 09:20:17 PM

I guess you mean that its width and height is the biggest number VVVVVV can calculate, right? If so, then it's something like 264. That's 1,845x1019. :o To calculate the # of rooms I have to calculate (264)2, which is 2128, which is 3,403x1038. So many rooms! :o
I read that thread before I registered.

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on September 11, 2012, 03:18:17 PM
Then the map wrapping is disabled for that coordinate, that means, if you go to the top, you don't pop out from the bottom. Or there are 4 outer space rooms, which act like one wrapping room (go to the edge of the right room and pop out in the left room, without having two halves of :viridian: on the screen). At least, that would explain this:

However, if you go to the edge of the room and stay there, you don't see part of Viridian on one side  and the other part on the other side;

I should have thought a bit better:

Consider that each byte has 64 bits and that each empty "Outer Space" room has 1 bit (not byte) of info. The whole polar dim. would have 3,403x1038 bits, or 5,317x1036 bytes. :o It would be impossible to fit that into my computer. :D It's very likely that each room, even if empty, has more than 1 bit. Perhaps 1 bit per pixel? If I'm right now, then your suggestion is the most likely.
However, if empty rooms don't have even a bit, then my suggestion might be right.

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on September 11, 2012, 08:08:37 PM
I read that thread before I registered.

Then why did you think that it's more likely to have warp lines? Did you forget about that thread when you wrote that?

EDIT: 204 replies! Maybe this will be in 1st after some time, after all!

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on September 12, 2012, 06:55:44 PM
EDIT: 204 replies! Maybe this will be in 1st after some time, after all!

Mark my words. It will become first.

Consider that each byte has 64 bits and that each empty "Outer Space" room has 1 bit (not byte) of info. The whole polar dim. would have 3,403x1038 bits, or 5,317x1036 bytes. :o It would be impossible to fit that into my computer. :D It's very likely that each room, even if empty, has more than 1 bit. Perhaps 1 bit per pixel? If I'm right now, then your suggestion is the most likely.
However, if empty rooms don't have even a bit, then my suggestion might be right.

You know, I think Outer Space is just one room. Why? Remember: Terry didn't have the limitations of the level editor we have. Outer Space could just be programmed to be a wrapping room, but not to show two halves of :viridian: on the screen. Or it might just act as if you can go to the rooms on the left or the right, but if you go there, it will always go back to the same room. And it's a thing you can try if you really have an extreme whole awful lot of time: just wait until that memory overflows. And see what happens.

Only Terry knows this. Please give us the answer so we can get some sleep again!                   .                       .                        .                   :D

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on September 12, 2012, 07:18:15 PM

You know, I think Outer Space is just one room. Why? Remember: Terry didn't have the limitations of the level editor we have. Outer Space could just be programmed to be a wrapping room, but not to show two halves of :viridian: on the screen. Or it might just act as if you can go to the rooms on the left or the right, but if you go there, it will always go back to the same room. And it's a thing you can try if you really have an extreme whole awful lot of time: just wait until that memory overflows. And see what happens.

Well, which of the 2 3 options is easier to code? Terry probably chose the easiest. IIRC (it means "if I remember correctly", right?), the background is reset when :viridian: reaches the edge of the room, so if the 2nd or 3rd option is the one, then the background would have to be hardcoded too. I actually don't know the definition of "hardcoding", but, with experience form this thread I can guess it means something like coding without the regular functions, scripting, objects, etc. to produce an irregular action.

EDIT:
Only Terry knows this. Please give us the answer so we can get some sleep again! :victoria:                  .                       .                        .                   :D

Comparing my time zone to yours and reading the time you wrote that in my time zone, I calculate that you wrote that at 9:18 PM on your time zone. You probably don't sleep at that time... so... :D

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on September 13, 2012, 11:18:00 AM
Well, which of the 2 3 options is easier to code? Terry probably chose the easiest.

I think that making :viridian: show two halves at the edges of the screen is harder to program than the other way around.

I actually don't know the definition of "hardcoding", but, with experience form this thread I can guess it means something like coding without the regular functions, scripting, objects, etc. to produce an irregular action.

Yes:

Quote from: WikipediaHard coding (also, hard-coding or hardcoding) refers to the software development practice of embedding what may, perhaps only in retrospect, be regarded as input or configuration data directly into the source code of a program or other executable object, or fixed formatting of the data, instead of obtaining that data from external sources or generating data or formatting in the program itself with the given input.

EDIT:
Only Terry knows this. Please give us the answer so we can get some sleep again! :victoria:                  .                       .                        .                   :D

Comparing my time zone to yours and reading the time you wrote that in my time zone, I calculate that you wrote that at 9:18 PM on your time zone. You probably don't sleep at that time... so... :D

Wow, did you think I literally couldn't sleep because of this question? And yes, 21:18 is correct.

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on September 13, 2012, 02:17:24 PM
Well, which of the 2 3 options is easier to code? Terry probably chose the easiest.

I think that making :viridian: show two halves at the edges of the screen is harder to program than the other way around.

With 3 options I meant these:

• There are 4 outer space rooms which act like one warping room.
  • There's one warping room, but it doens't show the 2 halves of :viridian: when he's on the edge
  • Every time :viridian: goes to other room, he'll go to the same room (isn't this the same as above?)

What I asked is which one of the 3 (2?) options above is the easiest. Only Terry knows, probably.
Well, I thought this way: It's regular in the game to show the 2 halves of :viridian: when :viridian: is on the edge of a warping room, so you have to hardcode. Hardcoding is probably harder than doing it the normal way...

Quote from: WikipediaHard coding (also, hard-coding or hardcoding) refers to the software development practice of embedding what may, perhaps only in retrospect, be regarded as input or configuration data directly into the source code of a program or other executable object, or fixed formatting of the data, instead of obtaining that data from external sources or generating data or formatting in the program itself with the given input.

Also, thanks for showing how to write the source of the quote when you create it with the "quote" button from the toolbar. I might get a use for it...
That seems harder to understand than what I wrote...

EDIT:

Wow, did you think I literally couldn't sleep because of this question? And yes, 21:18 is correct.

I thought it was some kind of joke (that's why I put a laughing face), and that without the laughing face in your post, I would think that you meant that.

MoogiGMD

is it possible to make the level flash colours like the final level? im thinking of a custom map with it... gamestate?

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Hacker3443 on September 14, 2012, 08:26:02 PM
is it possible to make the level flash colours like the final level? im thinking of a custom map with it... gamestate?

gamestate(200)

But the colors don't flash at all :(