Dimension Á [VERSION 1.1]

Started by Dav999, August 01, 2012, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav999

After I published my first level, Dimension of Secrets, I decided to make another level. Here it is.

In this level, the D.S.S. Souleye enters a new dimension, called Á, and the inhabitants are calling for help! Because their generator broke down, they cannot open the doors behind which they are locked up! Can you help them escape?

Like my previous level, this level uses internal scripting, but this is the first one with new, undiscovered text box colours! Also, a big round teleporter! :viridian:

Screenshots:

Have fun!

Note: If you find a folder called __MACOSX in the zip, please ignore that. It's a hidden folder, I can't change anything about that...

EDIT: The level has been updated.

Changelog:

V1.0
-First version, downloaded 13 times.

V1.1
-Fixed the glitch after you rescue the last crewmate (hopefully)
-Edited room 12,4 a bit.

EDIT in 2013: I know this level is old, but the dark green guy in this dimension has become more known recently, and he will also be used in a new level. He didn't have a name in this level, but to make it official: His name is officially Valso.

ToasterApocalypse

Ok. I know a lot of commands.

BUT HOW IN THE F(cussword) DID YOU GET THE TELEPORTER

Dav999

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on August 01, 2012, 04:24:07 PM
Ok. I know a lot of commands.

BUT HOW IN THE F(cussword) DID YOU GET THE TELEPORTER

You could have looked in my scripts... But anyway:

Don't use it unless you know what you're doing and make sure it is impossible to touch it! So if you don't use it in a cutscene after which you are teleported away, put walls around it! I say this because if you touch it, your teleporter save will be deleted!

If you're sure you want to use it, highlight:

createentity(x,y,14,0,0)

EDIT: Don't be afraid that your save will be deleted because of the teleporter in this level, unless you deliberately change the scrips. It's safe. :) I even put a script box near the teleporter that warns you about this, just in case the cutscene unexpectedly ends when it shouldn't and you get close to the teleporter.

ToasterApocalypse

Oh yes, just asking.
So there's the position, the enitity ID and then the 0,0. What is the 0,0? Is that something to do with speed and stuff for spawning enemies and platforms?

Dav999

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on August 03, 2012, 07:47:14 PM
Oh yes, just asking.
So there's the position, the enitity ID and then the 0,0. What is the 0,0? Is that something to do with speed and stuff for spawning enemies and platforms?

The 0,0 is metadata, in this case it means which teleporter it is, but that doesn't matter because it only applies to teleporters in the real game.

Hilbert

Was this supposed to happen?

Dav999

Huh? ??? That's very strange! That gray crewmate should be a terminal, and they are not supposed to float at all! At which room did this start? :vitellary:

It's supposed to look like this:

blue626

I was about to post what Roskilla said (except that I would describe it and not upload a zip file with an image). I'll describe it, I'll give more info. I have 2.0, so, it's not a 2.1.beta problem/compatiblity problem.
After I rescued everyone (except the last one), :viridian: didn't touch the ground yet and stayed floating. After I pressed space for the 2nd or 3rd time (becuase of the dialog), I automatically returned to the 1st room. Everyone was floating and the grey crewmate was there. According to your screenshot, green enemies should appear, but various :verdigris:'s appeared! After I automatically teleported to the other place, they were still floating (like in the image) and the grey crewmate was still there. Also, I couldn't move after that. I saved, quitted and loaded the save, and all the crewmates disappeared except the gray one, and I still couldn't move. I saved, quitted and loaded the last save, again, and it stayed the same. Even weirder, after I loaded the last save I wrote before, quitted without saving and started a Time Trial, :viridian: and the grey cremate appeared floating (perhaps in the same position) and I still couldn't move. After I pressed space to restart the Time Trial, it turned back to normal (the grey crewmate disappeared, :viridian: was on the normal start position and I could move).

The "going forward, backward and forward again" sequence was original, but it was a bit boring/annoying.
I wonder how you created those text boxes with different colors. They didn't appear in the main game, as well as the sound at the start of your other level "Dim. of Secrets"!

EDIT: Why are zip files the only file type allowed to attach to posts in this forum? In that way, you have to upload the image to a website or put it in a zip file. I saw old posts containing images attached! Strange! Perhaps, the rules were changed.

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on August 03, 2012, 09:43:03 PM
I was about to post what Roskilla said (except that I would describe it and not upload a zip file with an image). I'll describe it, I'll give more info. I have 2.0, so, it's not a 2.1.beta problem/compatiblity problem.
After I rescued everyone (except the last one), :viridian: didn't touch the ground yet and stayed floating. After I pressed space for the 2nd or 3rd time (becuase of the dialog), I automatically returned to the 1st room. Everyone was floating and the grey crewmate was there. According to your screenshot, green enemies should appear, but various :verdigris:'s appeared! After I automatically teleported to the other place, they were still floating (like in the image) and the grey crewmate was still there. Also, I couldn't move after that. I saved, quitted and loaded the save, and all the crewmates disappeared except the gray one, and I still couldn't move. I saved, quitted and loaded the last save, again, and it stayed the same. Even weirder, after I loaded the last save I wrote before, quitted without saving and started a Time Trial, :viridian: and the grey cremate appeared floating (perhaps in the same position) and I still couldn't move. After I pressed space to restart the Time Trial, it turned back to normal (the grey crewmate disappeared, :viridian: was on the normal start position and I could move).

I have no idea what's causing this, have you restarted the game? I think I understand why the crewmates are floating (because they are created there, and they would reach the ground before the screen faded back in, so there was no need to keep trying to find the exact y-coordinate when they're on the ground), but I don't understand why they are frozen there (and they are created with a certain mood (sad), so why are they happy?) and why terminals change into gray crewmates? You are using 2.0, so I should be able to get it too if I keep playing the level. This is the strangest glitch I've ever seen in a custom level.

I wonder how you created those text boxes with different colors. They didn't appear in the main game, as well as the sound at the start of your other level "Dim. of Secrets"!

I accidentally got those colors by creating a crewmate after the text command, but before position and speak_active. You can create a colored text box with this:

say(-1)
text(1,0,0,4)
say(2)
text(red,0,0,1)
This should be red.

When you add a createcrewman command at the end, you get new colors!

say(-1)
text(1,0,0,4)
say(3)
text(red,0,0,1)
This should be red.
createcrewman(50,176,blue,0,faceleft)

Red changes to dark green, blue changes to a lighter blue, and cyan changes to light blue. I forgot the rest, because they changed into normal colors.

Because I wanted to use these colors without having a crewmate show up each time, I used -20 as x-coordinate to get it off-screen. So, each time you see a text box with one of those new colors,  a crewmate is created off screen.

The sound at the beginning of DoS is a coin sound, because coins were only used in the prototype, but the coins are still in there :D I actually had coins in this level too, until I saw it caused problems with other createentity commands I used in the level (and each time you want to have coins in a room, you have to wait for the cutscene bars and after that the coins suddenly appear out of nowhere, and they disappear when you leave the room.

EDIT: Why are zip files the only file type allowed to attach to posts in this forum? In that way, you have to upload the image to a website or put it in a zip file. I saw old posts containing images attached! Strange! Perhaps, the rules were changed.

I also saw old posts with images attached today! It would at least be a lot handier to allow vvvvvv files and images again, because then people don't have to unzip it all the time (and maybe come across folders in the zip file that are hidden in one OS but not in the other) Also, why is the maximum file size 128 KB and the maximum total size 192 KB? Why so much? :o It's huge!
(well it would be if we were still living in the 90's...)

FIQ

64KB will be enough for everyone! ;)

Also, what Roskilla is explaining is a common problem with dialog "clashes".

If you find a trinket, or a crewmate, the game freezes untill you press ACTION to remove the dialog (or wait if it's a crewmate). If another script happens to execute at the same time, the game freezes completely. Viridian will most likely float, and entity sprite data reverts to 0 (a happy crewmate standing on floor looking right). The only way to revert to normal is to fire up the level editor, start a level, exit, and start it again, and then exit. That, or restarting VVVVVV.

Never ever have scripts that can trigger the same time as trinketfound/crewmatefound, simple as that.

The dialog colors is interesting, thanks for showing it!

blue626

EDIT:
Quote from: Dav999 on August 03, 2012, 10:39:35 PM
Also, why is the maximum file size 128 KB and the maximum total size 192 KB? Why so much? :o It's huge!
(well it would be if we were still living in the 90's...)

192KB is small now. 128GB is large in these years; 10 years later, 128GB will be medium-sized and 128TB will be large; 20 years later, 128GB will be small, 128TB will be medium-sized and 128x1024TB will be large; Etc.
128KB might be fine for a single file, unless it's a VVVVVV level.
END EDIT.

No, I didn't restart the game between the steps I mentioned. I did other things that aren't related to your level before and after the steps.
I don't know much of internal scripting, but here's a guess: the terminals are transformed into grey crewmates because they say gray text. I think that this isn't the 1st time that those crewmates appeared. Look at the topic "Blue's Adventure by Franz24". I think that they mentioned a glitch in which the grey crewmate appears there.

Quote from: Dav999 on August 03, 2012, 10:39:35 PM

I accidentally got those colors by creating a crewmate after the text command, but before position and speak_active. You can create a colored text box with this:

say(-1)
text(1,0,0,4)
say(2)
text(red,0,0,1)
This should be red.

When you add a createcrewman command at the end, you get new colors!

say(-1)
text(1,0,0,4)
say(3)
text(red,0,0,1)
This should be red.
[u]createcrewman(50,176,[b]blue[/b],0,faceleft)[/u]

Red changes to dark green, blue changes to a lighter blue, and cyan changes to light blue. I forgot the rest, because they changed into normal colors.

Because I wanted to use these colors without having a crewmate show up each time, I used -20 as x-coordinate to get it off-screen. So, each time you see a text box with one of those new colors,  a crewmate is created off screen.

The sound at the beginning of DoS is a coin sound, because coins were only used in the prototype, but the coins are still in there :D I actually had coins in this level too, until I saw it caused problems with other createentity commands I used in the level (and each time you want to have coins in a room, you have to wait for the cutscene bars and after that the coins suddenly appear out of nowhere, and they disappear when you leave the room.

Look at what I highlighted. Perhaps you'll get more colors if you change the color of the crewmate! The result is the mixed color, am I right? For example:
Yellow text box + red crewmate = orange text box
Blue text box + yellow crewmate = green text box (might be different than :verdigris:'s text boxes)
Grey text box + Blue crewmate = dark-blue-grey text box (I'm not sure if it works with grey text boxes)

Perhaps, even more colors if you create 2 crewmates! :o
These are just guesses, though. Like I said, I don't know much about internal scripting.

So, a coin sound! I didn't think of that!

Dav999

So the problem is: how can I make it in such a way that you can't save the crewmate without activating the script, and that you can't activate the script without saving the crewmate? Would a script box above :vermillion: help if it has a delay in it? And what about saving them in a different order?

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on August 03, 2012, 11:14:33 PM
Look at what I highlighted. Perhaps you'll get more colors if you change the color of the crewmate! The result is the mixed color, am I right? For example:
Blue text box + yellow crewmate = green text box (might be different than :verdigris:'s text boxes)
Grey text box + Blue crewmate = dark-blue-grey text box (I'm not sure if it works with grey text boxes)

These are just guesses, though. Like I said, I don't know much about internal scripting.

I also thought of that, even of the 2 crewmates. I didn't only use blue crewmates, but other colors as well! That gave the same result, so maybe I should try every possible combination to see if the results are different. There should be a normal way to access orange color, though, because I don't think Terry used createcrewman to get the orange color for 'Press ENTER to activate terminal' if he could just change the scripting language to include an orange color in some way...

I don't know much of internal scripting, but here's a guess: the terminals are transformed into grey crewmates because they say gray text.

And what about the green enemies? Do they talk as well? :P

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on August 03, 2012, 11:09:00 PM
If you find a trinket, or a crewmate, the game freezes untill you press ACTION to remove the dialog (or wait if it's a crewmate). If another script happens to execute at the same time, the game freezes completely.

Never ever have scripts that can trigger the same time as trinketfound/crewmatefound, simple as that.

I ran into that problem in another way in my first level, and I had a hard time figuring out what went wrong. Never make :viridian: walk through script boxes by using the walk command, because then you activate two scripts at the same time!

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on August 03, 2012, 11:33:48 PM

I also thought of that, even of the 2 crewmates. I didn't only use blue crewmates, but other colors as well! That gave the same result, so maybe I should try every possible combination to see if the results are different. There should be a normal way to access orange color, though, because I don't think Terry used createcrewman to get the orange color for 'Press ENTER to activate terminal' if he could just change the scripting language to include an orange color in some way...
You cannot get orange color simply by text() (you shouldn't be able to get the other colors you got by createcrewman weirdness), but if you find another thing (other than createcrewmate) that alters that part of the memory, go ahead.