No active mods?!

Started by blue626, September 15, 2012, 11:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav999

Quote from: Kirby1000 on September 30, 2012, 05:49:24 PM
We have too many spambots on this forum.  :'( :-X

As long as they don't post, there is not much of a problem, I think. You can't see them except if they signed up last and deliberately click on them, or if you click on them in the memberlist. But they should be cleaned up at some point.

Dav999

Another way to prevent bots without posts but with spam links is to not allow users with 0 posts to edit their profile! I'm not saying that they should get posts, but at least it would be easier to avoid having bots on the forum! If they don't post anything, they can't add a spam link to their profile, and if they do post something, it's most likely to be spam so they can be detected easily and deleted right away! :)

N

Quote from: Dav999 on October 02, 2012, 05:38:08 PM
Another way to prevent bots without posts but with spam links is to not allow users with 0 posts to edit their profile! I'm not saying that they should get posts, but at least it would be easier to avoid having bots on the forum! If they don't post anything, they can't add a spam link to their profile, and if they do post something, it's most likely to be spam so they can be detected easily and deleted right away! :)

^    ^
     This

Dav999

I seem to be able to recognize spambots BY NAME! I mean, sometimes I look at the latest member and I think: Wait a minute, this is likely to be spam. And yes: last active 10 minutes after registering, and a spam link. Also, spambots tend to specify their gender as 'Female', and a lot of them say they are from African countries.

N

Quote from: Dav999 on October 04, 2012, 09:55:00 PM
I seem to be able to recognize spambots BY NAME! I mean, sometimes I look at the latest member and I think: Wait a minute, this is likely to be spam. And yes: last active 10 minutes after registering, and a spam link. Also, spambots tend to specify their gender as 'Female', and a lot of them say they are from African countries.

:D
They make it too obvious
:D :D :D :D :D

Dav999

Wait a minute... How did this one become OLD Crewmate? ??? I've never seen that before!

Hilbert

We should remove him for just having a name like that :D

Dav999

Apparently Terry cleaned up all members with 0 posts again, and changed something about the ranks. When do you get 'Old Crewmate'? I also saw some members with 'New Member', or something like that.

blue626

I went to the member list and sorted by posts, and there are ≈30 members (≈1 page) with 0 posts, most are "New Members", some are "Old Crewmates". Everyone that I saw with 1 post (≈20 of them) are crewmates.

I think that Terry changed the ranks so that members with 0 posts are "New Members". I don't know about "Old Crewmates" though.

Quote from: Dav999 on October 02, 2012, 05:38:08 PM

I think that they do the same on the SMF Community Forum, so it's possible. Another thing they do is mark links posted by members with <25 posts as "nofollow" and as other thing by members with >10 posts. Maybe the links don't work if they're with that mark. Is there anyway to do this, Terry?

EDIT: I think that making double posts with les than an hour between isn't a good idea, so I edited this.
This one, as well as the one Dav999 mentioned are spam. They were last online 5-10 minutes after they registered and they have a link. They're 2 of the 3 Old crewmates (last time I checked there were 4?! ???). The other one was/is online today.
I noticed that all 3 registered after or on 4 October and all the "new members" registered before that day.

N

I think I know why they are easy to spot other than links:
They say they are 28 and Female.

Dav999

They probably say they're 28 because Terry's also 28.

Off topic: Internal Server Error 23:21~23:23!

ToasterApocalypse

OH NO

ANOTHER SPAMBOT THREAD HAS BEEN CREATED!

FIRE THE REPORT CANNONS!

Dav999

N

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on October 06, 2012, 02:16:54 PM
I can't find it? ???

We fired the report cannons and it got deleted!

VWe are safe... But for how long?