No active mods?!

Started by blue626, September 15, 2012, 11:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue626

I thought it was better to create a new topic here, instead of talking about this in the VVVVVV Records thread, where this discussion started. I also believe that Terry checks this board more often than the VVVVVV board, but I could be wrong.

This forum, apparently, doesn't have active moderators anymore.

Quote from: Dav999 on September 14, 2012, 09:03:03 PM
I think that most users who are currently a mod have a more personal relationship with Terry.

There are 3 mods, only 2 of them have a personal relation with Terry. I believe that StephenM3 is just someone who likes Terry's games, or at least VVVVVV... could be wrong, though.

And the forum is inactive enough to make some people think it is dying!

Why is that related to the fact that this forum needs mods? The mods are inactive, but some members are active.
And all the people who think that this forum is dying are probably used to more active forums. I personally think that 20 posts/day, the current "posting rate" in this forum, is active, and I'm not comparing this forum to other forums, so this my fair opinion. I have, so far registered in this forum, anyway...
Slightly more related, why do spambots, apparently like inactive forums!? Check the forum stats and compare the # of posts in each month with the number of registrations in the same month to see what I mean.

MoogiGMD

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on September 15, 2012, 11:16:31 AM
And the forum is inactive enough to make some people think it is dying!

Why is that related to the fact that this forum needs mods? The mods are inactive, but some members are active.
And all the people who think that this forum is dying are probably used to more active forums. I personally think that 20 posts/day, the current "posting rate" in this forum, is active, and I'm not comparing this forum to other forums, so this my fair opinion. I have, so far registered in this forum, anyway...

Well, this forum doesn't get that much spam, it's one spam post a week! Sometimes Terry isn't on the forum for a day or two and if there happens to be a spam post at that moment, it will stay there for at least a day. That's why it's better to have a mod who is online every day (like everyone who has volunteered said, including me) to make the spam go away at the moment someone notices it. Also, the mods should not just edit or delete posts of other people just because they feel like it. Maybe it's possible to only allow certain people to delete posts by new users, but I don't know every single possibility of SMF.

And, if there are going to be mods, I volunteer again, also because I'm online every day and because I have a lot of posts.

Hilbert

Likewise.
I volunteer.
But Dav would be a good mod cause he can sort out people's pictures that show up as [X]

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on September 15, 2012, 11:16:31 AM
Slightly more related, why do spambots, apparently like inactive forums!? Check the forum stats and compare the # of posts in each month with the number of registrations in the same month to see what I mean.

I think I know the answer. If you post something on an inactive forum, there are fewer messages posted after that. If it isn't one of the newer posts, it makes the message very hard to find.

A lot of people volunteer for being a mod, but one should be enough :D

How about a poll where you can select up to three options?

FIQ

More mods aren't really needed, Terry does that job just fine.

Terry might not want to do that, though.

Bearboy

i think that mods should have at least 1000 posts.
get going  :viridian:

Dav999

Quote from: Bearboy on September 15, 2012, 05:02:02 PM

Don't encourage others to post useless messages to get to 1000 posts! :victoria:

Also, I just calculated that with my current rate, I will get to 1000 posts in about 100 days.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on September 15, 2012, 05:23:15 PM

Don't encourage others to post useless messages to get to 1000 posts! :victoria:

Also, I just calculated that with my current rate, I will get to 1000 posts in about 100 days.

If this forum had more... "interesting" threads, I could get much more.

Dav999

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on September 15, 2012, 07:46:36 PM

And what do you call interesting then? Can't you just create a thread if you think it's interesting?
[/quickreply]

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on September 15, 2012, 07:49:36 PM
Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on September 15, 2012, 07:46:36 PM

And what do you call interesting then? Can't you just create a thread if you think it's interesting?
[/quickreply]

By 'interesting' I mean like..

erm

Any other thread, I guess.

Dav999

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on September 15, 2012, 09:22:27 PM
???

...That is a face. As I said in some other thread, I cannot discuss a face.

Dav999

If I post a smiley, it doesn't mean you should discuss it. 

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on September 15, 2012, 09:58:13 PM
If I post a smiley, it doesn't mean you should discuss it.

forget your smileys i have alt codes ☺