Author Topic: Prototype: PuZZZZZZles!  (Read 6657 times)

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
Prototype: PuZZZZZZles!
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
Today I got an idea for a game of some sort, and it works well as a VVVVVV level! :viridian:

I made a prototype to test it. It only has one level, but it's a prototype, after all.

Each room contains squares with one open side, like this:

The squares can be rotated clockwise, so you can walk to an adjacent square:

Like that, you can find your way to the exit.

I also have some other ideas that might fit within this game:
-Squares with more than one entrance
-Squares with no entrance (they will always block the way)
-Red squares that can't be rotated
-Blue squares that can only be rotated when you're in them (this will be hard to make in VVVVVV, because you will need a lot of rooms, especially when you have more of them in one room)
-Yellow squares that can only be rotated when you're NOT in them (this will also be hard)
-Squares with one-way walls in a certain direction
-Squares which can only be rotated a limited amount of times, after which they will become permanent
-Special squares which can be frozen and unfrozen, so they don't move if you rotate everything (also squares which can only be frozen one time)
-And so on.

I'm not sure if I will do anything with it, but I thought it was a good idea. Maybe I will make it in Game Maker, but then I need to do it on a Windows computer. The Mac version of Game Maker is a trial version with a limited time period (I thought?), that is too short to actually finish the game (and the game would be Mac only, unless I can just copy the .gmk file to a Windows computer and compile it into an .exe from there). The Windows version is also a trial version but at least it never expires. I also tried the Windows version in a Windows emulator, but it always gives an error message when I try to run a game. So, it may take a while before I get it done.

Until then, here's the first prototype as a VVVVVV level! Feel free to criticize! :viridian:

VERSION HISTORY:

First prototype, downloaded 7 times

Disabled the map
Red, stationary blocks (and with more than one entrance)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:47:26 AM by Dav999 »

FIQ

• Captain
  • https://github.com/FredrIQ/
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
Re: Prototype: PuZZZZZZles!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »
Remember that the amount of rooms possible in the editor is infinite. By avoiding certain rooms that leads to segfault, you can make a working level utilizing more than 400 rooms.

Oh, and disabling the map.

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 03:28:24 PM »
Remember that the amount of rooms possible in the editor is infinite. By avoiding certain rooms that leads to segfault, you can make a working level utilizing more than 400 rooms.

??? That's the first time I hear that. How do you do it? Edit something in the VVVVVV file?

Oh, and disabling the map.

Right, I forgot that. But it will be disabled in 0.1!

FIQ

• Captain
  • https://github.com/FredrIQ/
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
        <mapwidth>1</mapwidth>
        <mapheight>1</mapheight>

That. Just edit it to something bigger than 20x20. But as I said, some rooms crash the game completly, but you *will* get some fully working rooms outside the "normal" 20x20 range.

Hilbert

• Captain
  • Yup. This is my name. Not Black, Hilbert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:22:08 AM »
I like this concept. It uses I.S., right?
Also, I have something called Game Develop, not as good a GM, but it works. If you'd like, I could make a prototype and send it to you.

ToasterApocalypse

• Captain
  • le lenny face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »
An original concept? This is amazing!

I shall have to play this when I get bored.

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
I like this concept. It uses I.S., right?
Also, I have something called Game Develop, not as good a GM, but it works. If you'd like, I could make a prototype and send it to you.

I know about Game Develop, but I first have to know how it works. And guess what it works on: Windows and Ubuntu :(. That means I -can- run it, unless it gives an error. I think i'll just work with Game Maker for Mac, because I know how it works, and then hope the trial period system is broken so I can actually use it forever :P

I'll just first make the graphics, and when that's done, then rush to complete the game in whatever time period is left, but that's just impossible. And I thought the full version was like $40? :vitellary:

Maybe I just have to make the game in the Windows version without the ability to test it, then move the .gmk to the Mac version and test it from there.

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
I'm trying to build a room now, and I think there is a bug in Game Maker. It seems like the top-left coordinate of the room is (-15,-22) ???

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
Very first screenshot (the blocks don't rotate, they flip for some reason... ???)

For some reason, the trial period is over now :victoria: Before the last time I started it, I had 53 minutes, I used it for 5 minutes, and when I closed it, the trial period was over ???

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »
Ok, I updated the prototype! In version 0.1, the map is disabled, and there are red blocks which don't move! :viridian:

ToasterApocalypse

• Captain
  • le lenny face
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 10:38:08 AM »
I'm gonna review the 0.0.

WHAT I LIKED:
The originality. This is maybe the first level to add rotating blocks with the gotoroom command. Great feature.
The confusion: Very good. I got kinda confused, and it took me around 10 minutes to figure out what to do. Nice.

WHAT I DISLIKED:
The difficulty. It was too easy. Maybe, in future stages of this level, add spike blocks as an obstacle. I'd like that.
The floating terminals. I don't think there's a way to prevent this, sadly. I'll have to make do.

RATING #2
7/10. The originality is brilliant, and to succeed you need to have masses of mental strength. I like that in a level.

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
Were there red blocks in the level you reviewed?

ToasterApocalypse

• Captain
  • le lenny face
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
Were there red blocks in the level you reviewed?

No

I said I played the 0.0

not the 0.1.

I'm looking forward to the completed thing, though!

ToasterApocalypse

• Captain
  • le lenny face
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »
I'd still like to see more of this, so if you're working on it, then woo.

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »
I'd still like to see more of this, so if you're working on it, then woo.

Well, I used Game Maker for making the game, but there are some problems with that now:
  • The trial period of the Mac version of Game Maker is over
  • I can use Game Maker for Windows in Virtualbox, but when I try to run games, I get an error message (and you can't make and release games without any testing at all)
  • Apparently, Game Maker now puts an ugly, persistent watermark on games :-X

I haven't tried GameDevelop yet, so I'll try that out instead and look how that works.