"Temporal Ribbon": A one-layer level featuring "time travel"

Started by Capn Muffin, October 28, 2012, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Muffin

As always, let's start with some screens!

OK I promise to finish tweaking VR Training but for now I started a new level that was inspired by Quantum Tunnel. Instead of having a two layer long level though, Temporal Ribbon uses one layer. What does this mean? It means you can either warp around the room or reset it... it'll make more sense if you play it. So try it out!

The level is about 80% complete but I'd like to get some input. Bugs? Too hard? Unintended shortcuts/errors in design?

Level Features:
- Boomerang style path. Complete in one direction... have a new experience in the other!
- Jump into special temporal rifts to go back in time.
- A wide variety of challenges.
- A puzzle to solve half-way through. Will you make the right choice?
- Need an extra challenge? Uncover the back-story by obtaining all the hidden crew logs.

SomniRespiratory Flux

I've made it up to Security Gate. So far, the level seems clever enough. I have, however, noticed a few bugs. The minimap doesn't seem to appreciate the narrowness of the level, for one, but that isn't a huge problem. However, the time rift puzzles seem... Temperamental, shall I say? The areas marked with the :::::: always reset the room, but cycling through a room enough times in areas without the :::::: will eventually start to reset the room as well. For example, in Security Gate, the area on the right has both the top and bottom as normal screenwrapping, but if I fall through it too many times, it starts behaving as though the bottom were marked with the time rift... This seems problematic.  :verdigris:

Hilbert

SomniRespiratory Flux

Ah. Well, I can see it getting problematic in certain areas. I guess it'll be alright as long as I can move on quickly, but who knows? I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Pyrite

I got to Engineering, and to get through Security Gate, you have to ride the platform into the exit because you can't move right fast enough while moving vertically. It took me a while to figure out. :viridian:

SomniRespiratory Flux

I had worked that out before I posted. The problem is landing on the platform... And the resetting bug would make the platform never reach where I needed to land on it. I made it through pretty quickly though. Up to the Armory now.

Capn Muffin

Ah, noticed a nasty oversight in Engineering. If you die when the moving platform is overlapping the checkpoint--you get stuck.

As far as the room resetting being temperamental... I noticed this happened on occasion before, but it seems to be pretty rare for me now. Not sure what quirk in the code causes this. I tried to design challenges that took account of this chance.

SomniRespiratory Flux

Yeah, I understand it just happens, so it's no big deal. I've only seen it in Security Gate and Hangar, and it only actually messed me up in the former. In fact, in the Hangar, I may have only managed to pass the room because of it... I can't actually remember. ??? Ah well. I'm enjoying the level so far!  :viridian:

ToasterApocalypse

I couldn't help myself from thinkig this.

'Now... To unleash screaming temporal doom!"