Bugs

Started by Dav999, November 28, 2012, 08:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav999

Collect bugs in this topic!

• If you get a high score in arcade mode, the score is also sent to the leaderboard
  • If you get a high score in arcade mode, and if you press esc before entering your name, you go back to the stage select screen. You can then choose any stage, and instead of starting the game, you can continue entering your name (whether it's another stage or not). You can even disable arcade mode, start a normal game, enable arcade mode again, and you will still go to the screen where you can enter your name. At least your score will always be saved to the right level, and it will not be sent to the wrong leaderboard (otherwise, it would be a serious bug, enabling people to get a very high score in Hexagon and sending it to the global leaderboard of Hyper Hexagonest :vermillion:).
  • In the leaderboards, some names have characters which show up as , because they are not in the font
  • Rarely, the game will think you're holding a key, while you're not (I think that happened? Btw, it also happens in the iOS version)
  • If you press esc upon dying, the voice won't say 'game over', you just go to the menu (maybe it also doesn't save your score then?)
  • You can also press tab to go to the leaderboards in weird places, like the credits (this may be a feature, but I'm not sure)

allison

Quote from: Dav999 on November 28, 2012, 08:24:27 PM

• If you get a high score in arcade mode, the score is also sent to the leaderboard

That's not a bug, that's a feature! Just imagine, you break a world record, and then it doesn't count because you were on arcade mode!

Dav999

Quote from: crazyal02 on December 01, 2012, 03:09:55 AM
Quote from: Dav999 on November 28, 2012, 08:24:27 PM

That's not a bug, that's a feature! Just imagine, you break a world record, and then it doesn't count because you were on arcade mode!

What if it was someone else who broke YOUR record? Arcade mode is designed for multiple people to play the game.

mtomato

My brother confirmed that Arcade mode scores no longer go to the leaderboards, so your buglist is a little bit outdated now.

Dav999

This is one I forgot:

• If you get the time which was already your record, the game will say 'new record', although nothing has changed.

m00npirate

Platform: PC (windows 7 64-bit, steam)
Sort of hard to explain. While in game when you press both arrow keys at the same time the player will move counter clockwise. This is fine.

However when pressing both left and right mouse buttons at the same time, the player will stop moving altogether and will not begin moving again until both left and right mouse buttons are released. This is a problem when trying to change directions quickly as you may accidentally press both mouse buttons at the same time for a split second (this happens to me frequently on certain patterns).

K.B.

Side note upfront: it seems that the steam leaderboard has been hacked.  "BYB Expression" currently has five high scores where the next highest score was either tied or beaten by :01 seconds, which should be impossible.  Don't know if anything can be done, but I thought it was worth mentioning and this seemed like the best place to put it.

Anyway, bugs.

These are for the steam version.  I think they're minor, but the third one does make part of the game slightly less difficult and therefore may be of interest.

• While in-game, pressing escape three times in quick succession will crash the game (instead of bringing up the title screen).  This occurs every time.
  • While in-game, pressing escape twice, left/right once, and spacebar in quick succession will either crash the game or start a another game in the same difficulty level (instead of starting another game in a different difficultly level).  This occurs every time.
  • While in-game, pressing escape twice and spacebar once in quick succession will disable both the music (but not the sound effects/voices) and the pulsing (of the patterns and center polygon) in the newly started game.  This occurs every time.  This also occurs sometimes when, shortly after being hit, escape and spacebar are pressed in quick succession (other times the newly started game is unaffected [edit] or the game crashes [/edit]).  Both the music and pulsing will return when the music would ordinarily change (from one hyper mode to the next and after 60 seconds in hyper hexagonest).  If sound is disabled in the options, all sound remains off and only the pulsing is affected.
Tested with/out sound, with/out vsync, windowed and fullscreen.  Results duplicated by a friend; my OS is XP and his is Win7.

I think that there isn't any cause for concern with the third bug.  It shouldn't affect the leaderboard, since top scores are decided by time spent at the final difficulty level and since it appears to be impossible for the no-pulsing effect to carry over to that level.  Or, even if it could carry over, it should have a negligible impact on difficulty, since there essentially isn't any pulsing there.  So, at worst, those using this would be simply 'cheating themselves'.  My thoughts, anyway.

Wonderful game, by the way.  I play a lot of shmups and I consider this to be a distillation of everything that I like in that genre.

Dav999

Quote from: K.B. on January 02, 2013, 08:34:52 AM
Side note upfront: it seems that the steam leaderboard has been hacked.  "BYB Expression" currently has five high scores where the next highest score was either tied or beaten by :01 seconds, which should be impossible.  Don't know if anything can be done, but I thought it was worth mentioning and this seemed like the best place to put it.

:victoria: Why can't online leaderboards just be reliable? Both Game Center and Steam got hacked. Well at least there aren't any scores of 1.13 years in Steam.

Sigsig

Quote from: K.B. on January 02, 2013, 08:34:52 AM

Well don't know if he did it on purpose or was an accident but his hack scores are now all beaten by LEGIT records  8)
But there still do exist several cheaters on Steam leaderboards. I'm sure at least there are 3 and maybe 2 more.

Chillius

1850.**

REALLY sigsig?

MegaBrutal

One of my Steam friends has 53 seconds record on Hexagon - which would mean that she hasn't passed the stage yet. Regardless, she already has the Point achievement unlocked, which you only get when you pass the stage... How is that possible? :o

Dav999

Quote from: MegaBrutal on March 12, 2013, 07:46:46 PM
One of my Steam friends has 53 seconds record on Hexagon - which would mean that she hasn't passed the stage yet. Regardless, she already has the Point achievement unlocked, which you only get when you pass the stage... How is that possible? :o

Deleted scores?

FIQ

Arcade mode bugs
* Pressing W let's you "escape" from the entering of name and back to the game. The next time you lose, you'll once again be prompted to enter highscore. If you manage to get a new score in the new run, the old score will be there under the name you left it.
* If you press escape during highscore entering and enter a new level, you'll still be in the "enter highscore" prompt. If you enter the score, it will be saved to the old level as expected (but it shouldn't allow you to leave this name entering really). However, if you under this case press W to "escape" from the name entering to this NEW level, once you lose you'll edit THIS level's Nth place's name (where N = where you placed on the OLD one). This allows you to do funny stuff like replacing the name Hexagon in Hyper Hexagonest by your own name (while keeping the 60s that it had) without really beating it.

Chillius

There is a bug where you can go invisible if you press the button to die when hitting a wall...
this happends very rarely.

FIQ

Though not technically a bug, I find resetting progress way too easy to do accidentally in Android. While viewing Credits, I was going to go back and misclicked and boom, progress reset.
(There is a confirmation, but the "tap to confirm" is a little bit too easy to do)