Mission Polar: V0.1 BETA

Started by ToasterApocalypse, January 30, 2013, 06:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToasterApocalypse

Ok, let me just say this now. I am REALLY happy with the way this level is turning out. So, here is Mission Polar! Well, part of it anyway.

CHARACTERS
Playable Characters:  :viridian: and  :vermillion:
Villain:  :verdigris: but is not actually  :verdigris: just a guy who looks like  :verdigris:

STORY
Viridian and Vermillion go to a Polar Dimension. It unfurls from there.

DIFFICULTY/SIZE
The level, right now, is not too hard, nor is it too long. While Switchback was focused on quantity, I focused on quality for this one.

FEATURING
Internal Scripting (No level of mine is complete without it)
Playing as  :vermillion:
Gravitron squares! (No gravitron, though.)
Colourless Tower backing.
One way tiles.

SCREENSHOTS

CHANGELOG:
V0.1: Fixed crashing issues with VVVVVV 2.0. As a result, blue conveyor belts and invisible dissap. platforms had to be removed.

V0.0: Initial Release

NOTE TO 2.0 USERS
Unlike Switchback, this level is FULLY compatible with VVVVVV 2.0. However, DO NOT load this level under any circumstances. The one way tiles are transformed into spikes, therefore making the level impossible. If you actually do this, just re-download it.

Now I can finally work on Rainbow Factory again...

SomniRespiratory Flux

Hilbert

GREAT LEVEL :o Better than what I could ever make!

8.5/10 :shiny: I would give you nine, but  :viridian: ate .5 of the :shiny:

OFF TOPIC: This text is really really small!

SomniRespiratory Flux

That was interesting. I liked the alternating sequences, and the way you played the same rooms differently as each crew member. The ending was rather unsettling, and made me want to know what comes next. The one thing that felt odd was how much some of the rooms boiled down to trial, error, and memorization. Nothing new for VVVVVV levels really, but it felt like some of the deaths were impossible to avoid based on reflex alone. At least, with MY reflexes. :P

Also, I'm pretty sure it's entirely my imagination, but this is the second level you've made with :vermillion: playable, and I'm starting to think that he feels... I dunno, bulkier...? than :viridian: somehow. I feel like he moves more slowly and falls more quickly somehow, but I'm pretty sure I'm just processing the colors differently. It's starting to creep me out a bit, to be honest. :o

I don't like the transition from Spike City to Process. It feels somewhat cheap...
Also, I find myself bad at enemies bouncing between super narrow walls...and you feature this quite a lot.
But they are just minor issues though. The ending is weird. Are you planning on expanding the level?
I will give 7.5/10 for this.

SomniRespiratory Flux

Quote from: nicholashin on February 03, 2013, 02:53:09 AM
The ending is weird. Are you planning on expanding the level?

It DOES say it's a beta...

ToasterApocalypse

I'm actually way more motivated to work on this than I am with Rainbow Factory. I'll finish this one and THEN work on RF.

Fussmatte

There need to be more levels where other crewmates are playable. Seriously, playing as Vermillion made my day. :D

Offtopic: I'm new here and this is my first post

EDIT: If you actually bothered to look for my first post, then...

GlitchMr

I have a feeling I wasn't supposed to backtrack here.

Anyway, interesting usage of internal scripting. And the plot sounds interesting. Waiting for update which will continue the level.

(also, warp from every direction is a lie - let me guess, you have used the warp lines?)

I also wonder how you managed to use colourless background in this level.

FIQ

Quote from: GlitchMr on February 09, 2013, 12:05:51 PM

I have a feeling I wasn't supposed to backtrack here.

Anyway, interesting usage of internal scripting. And the plot sounds interesting. Waiting for update which will continue the level.

(also, warp from every direction is a lie - let me guess, you have used the warp lines?)

I also wonder how you managed to use colourless background in this level.
Use Warp Zone Tileset, then edit the level manually with a text editor and change tilecol="XX" for the room to tilecol="6".

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Doormat on February 09, 2013, 03:25:16 AM
There need to be more levels where other crewmates are playable. Seriously, playing as Vermillion made my day. :D

Dimension Switchback by me (Vermillion)
Dimension Vortex by SolVVVVVVingPuzzles (Vitellary)
Dimension Á by Dav999 (Verdigris)

Those are the ones I've played that do this.

Hilbert

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on February 13, 2013, 07:13:45 PM

Not actually verdigris. I forget his name though.

Dav999

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on February 13, 2013, 08:54:41 PM

Originally I didn't give him a name, but in the drawing room someone said he should be called Valso!

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on February 13, 2013, 09:00:44 PM
Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on February 13, 2013, 08:54:41 PM

Originally I didn't give him a name, but in the drawing room someone said he should be called Valso!

It totally wasn't me or anything

Lord Ghetsis

The room Underscore copied a room from Switchback from Vermillion`s prison. Just noticed!  :verdigris: