Spikes haven't got the same width as wall blocks!

Started by blue626, March 22, 2013, 09:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue626

The difference is only one pixel and only on the right side (if they point up), but that makes it possible for Viridian to stand on the edges of floors/ceilings that contain spikes!
Actually, I discovered this sometime ago and I feel that I should have said before... at that time I thought it was far from important, mostly because it probably happens on the main game too (although there probably aren't places where Viridian can stand on an edge) and probably happens in 1.x. too.
There are some places where this can be fixed without floating spikes: consider a floor/ceiling that crosses with a wall, both covered with spikes. The intersection between the lines of spikes shouldn't be a wall block! Either nothing or another spike. This is more common in DTTHW tunnels.
Actually this isn't important. Like I said, it's only one pixel of difference. Being able to stand on that pixel is hard enough to deserve passing a challenge! But surely there are cases when it isn't, right? ...
Also, like I said, it's only on one side. It only happens on half the cases!
Btw: Viridian's hitbox isn't just his body. As a consequence, if you ever manage to "stand" in that pixel, Viridian will be floating!
I can upload a screenshot here if it's hard to understand what I said, but not now.

EDIT: Fixed the title... I'm not perfect in English.

EDIT 2: Has anyone noticed this before? I think someone noticed that some years ago...
EDIT 3: It was in the prototype.
EDIT 4: Do you really need the "got" after "have"/"has"/"haven't"/etc.?

FIQ

Are you sure that it's not just that it looks 1 pixel too short (because it does)? I.e. can you reproduce the issue?

Tried to reproduce in a custom level where I could control Viridian's position one pixel a time, and he was still hurt when he landed on the rightmost position.

I believe the prototype had the bug you described, but it was fixed (but the spike tile wasn't).

blue626

Actually, it really does work! I reproduced it myself some time ago.
Do note that I'm using 2.0., if that matters.
Do you really think that was the rightmost position? Read this again...
Quote from: blue626 on March 22, 2013, 09:22:10 PM
Btw: Viridian's hitbox isn't just his body. As a consequence, if you ever manage to "stand" in that pixel, Viridian will be floating!
If that was the rightmost position Viridian can be without falling above (and to the right) of the spike, then it really doesn't work for you.
(...Do you think it's possible that it was fixed in 1.0., somehow unfixed in 2.0. and then fixed again in 2.1. (beta)? :o).

Chillius

If you watch 3DS Trailer. little black boxes on the edges of spikes?.

Fussmatte

Quote from: Chili person on March 25, 2013, 09:34:25 PM
A 3DS trailer? I have one of those!

Bearboy

Quote from: Doormat on March 25, 2013, 09:39:53 PM

That's hilarious.

Chillius

N

Quote from: Doormat on March 25, 2013, 09:39:53 PM

OH YEAH WELL I HAVE A WII U TRAILER
I JUST DON'T HAVE A PICTURE OF IT

Chillius

A quite MEDICal Derpfish

Quote from: Gold on March 31, 2013, 03:37:58 PM
I HAVE VVVVVV TRAILER.

MY CAMERA IS DEAD!

I HAVE A DISTRACTIONWARE FORUMS TRAILER

TOO BAD I DONT HAVE A CAMERA

Fussmatte

I found Protoman's Wii U trailer:

and why did this appear in the search results for "wii u logo vector"

also it's april fools again :D

Chillius

Quote from: Derpfish on April 01, 2013, 05:05:03 AM
Quote from: Gold on March 31, 2013, 03:37:58 PM
I HAVE VVVVVV TRAILER.

MY CAMERA IS DEAD!

I HAVE A DISTRACTIONWARE FORUMS TRAILER

TOO BAD I DONT HAVE A CAMERA

I HAVE AN INTERNET TRAILER!

Dav999

blue626

I'm bumping this because some time ago I did the same thing as FIQ in both spikes that point up and down and it didn't work. The leftmost position that kills you is adjacent to the rightmost position that lets you fall (referring to spikes that point up, and the positions are in pixels).
Notice that I said that I already had known (and reproduced) this sometime before I posted this thread. Maybe I somehow didn't really remember how the "bug" occurred...
What I'm trying to say is that it may be not standing on edges of floors/ceilings with spikes... I have to test...
What I'm sure that Viridian can float on places that he/she should have either died or just fell, at least in 2.0. I remember that.