Author Topic: [General Discussion] Raise number of posts required for post count groups  (Read 2805 times)

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
In these days there are a lot of people with more than 200 or 100 posts: currently there are 18 people with a "Captain" rank and 13 with "Professor" rank (making 31 people with at least a "Professor" rank). Back at the beginning of 2012 there were only 5 with a "Captain" rank and 10-15 with a "Professor" rank (making 15-20 with at least a "Professor" rank).
What I suggest is to do one of the things:
  • Raise the number of posts required to belong to each post count group. Example: >500: Captain; 200-499: Professor; 80-199: Doctor; 30-79: Crewmate (2 squares) and <30: Crewmate (1 square).
  • Create a new post count group. It may be in the middle or after the Captain rank. Example: <20: Crewmate (1 sq.); 20-39: Crewmate (2 sqs.); 40-99: Crewmate (3 sqs.); 100-199: Doctor (4 sqs.); 200-499: Professor (5 sqs.) and >500: Captain (6 sqs.).
I was originally thinking of the 1st option, but I just realized the 2nd option fits better with VVVVVV because there are 6 crewmates in the main game!
In the examples above I used 500 as the minimum posts required to be in the last rank. That's a large difference from the actual 200 posts, but there would still be 8 people with the last rank (currently).
What do you guys think? I guess what Terry thinks is more important.
(If the 1st option will be chosen, I wonder how many people with the "Captain" rank that go down in ranks will be angry. :D)
Also, aren't there various General Discussion threads in the VVVVVV board (like this one)? Why not lock the forum game threads (and the ones that will be created) and unlock the General Discussion Board? ???

FIQ

• Captain
  • https://github.com/FredrIQ/
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
Not necessary, imo. Ranks are /care.

Also, wrong forum. Not that there's any better place for this, but... yeah.

EDIT: Postcount is also /care
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:23:25 PM by FIQ »

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
Not necessary, imo. Ranks are /care.

Agreed. We care a lot more about post counts :P

For me, post count is also /care.

Hejmstel

• Captain
  • Formerly "Doormat"
    • View Profile
    • My hardly used YT account
/care

Chillius

• Captain
  • I'm back.
    • View Profile
/Care

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
I actually thought of this some time ago (which is why I wrote "I was orginally thinking of the 1st option,...") and hesitated to post due to both being a General Discussion topic and the fact that this makes me look that I care about my rank/ranks in general too much. At least it was worth to try, right?
I don't really care if my post count nor rank is too low nor something like that (my post count if far from being low already...). I find... weird (not sure of the right word) that a lot of people have the last rank. I thought it would be better if at least less than 10 people would have the highest rank. It even seems it's too easy to reach 200 posts...
However, I'm somewhat satisfied by seeing 4 out of 4 replies saying something similar to "IMO, it isn't necessary. I don't care about ranks.". :) I didn't expect everyone to be like that (thus the 2nd last line :D)! Terry most likely thinks the same way.
I'll let it stay like this. I /care much about ranks (notice the "much"...).

Hejmstel

• Captain
  • Formerly "Doormat"
    • View Profile
    • My hardly used YT account
Quote from: blue626
I /care much about ranks
So you don't give a crap about ranks?

...Somehow I feel this topic was made because I got a Captain rank not even a full 2 months after registering.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:16:27 PM by Doormat »

A quite MEDICal Derpfish

• Captain
  • I believe I am on fire.
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr Blog.
I /care much about ranks

...Somehow I feel this topic was made because I got a Captain rank not even a full 2 months after registering.

I got captian in like 2 or 3 weeks.

Flubbity.

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
I /care much about ranks

If I understood that well, only a bit. I still care enough to want to post a topic like this.

No, it wasn't entirely because of that. I started thinking about this much before you earned that rank... maybe before you even started posting!
One of the reasons why I posted this is the top 10 posters table. Do you mind looking at it now? It has 8 people with more than 500 posts... I actually expect this raise of numbers in that table to be normal in a forum's "life", but I thought it was still a reason... it's hard to explain.
Also, you're not the only one. Dav999 got that rank in less than 2 months and I recently looked at PJBottomz' profile and realized that he earned that rank in 25 days! :o Derpfish only made his 200th post almost 2,5 months after his 1st, so I guess he meant 2 or 3 weeks ago.

A quite MEDICal Derpfish

• Captain
  • I believe I am on fire.
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr Blog.
Derpfish only made his 200th post almost 2,5 months after his 1st, so I guess he meant 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I actually got my captian thing in like a month, and then became really inactive. (And I didn't have my computer for 2 months so yeah)

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
Derpfish only made his 200th post almost 2,5 months after his 1st, so I guess he meant 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I actually got my captian thing in like a month, and then became really inactive. (And I didn't have my computer for 2 months so yeah)

You must be confusing it with another rank. You (currently and always before) need(ed) 200 posts to get that rank. I saw your posts in your profile and from the numbers in them, calculated what was your 200th post, and then calculated the time between that and your 1st post.