Difficulty Spike - by Nicholashin (Two difficulties in one level)

Started by ., April 04, 2013, 06:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alright, I've made a new level again. This one is about having two difficulties in a level - Normal Mode and Insane Mode.
Don't worry, you still have checkpoints in Insane Mode, but the rooms are extremely difficult.
There is also a secret area in Normal mode, which you can find a crewmate to rescue and a skip to Insane mode!
Wish you luck everyone, I've included a lot of hints in Insane Mode and I hope they helps.

Oh and story is absence in the level. Just play :)

Difficulties:
Normal Mode: quite easy
Secret area: a bit difficult
Insane Mode: really difficult, but still easier than the Golden Spiral

Crewmates: 3 (:vermillion:, :victoria:, :violet:)

Screenshots:

EDIT: I'm removing all my levels after receiving confirmation that I'm a poor level maker. I consider this to be a really, really, really bad level - insane mode in particular is unplayably hard and uninteresting. If you really want to go through such a mess, I still have them backed up and I would reply to you maybe 20 years later.

Fussmatte

"impossible.vvvvvv"
We'll see about that

EDIT:

What the f--

Oh that was a oversight  :o
Fix that immediately  :)
I missed it because I just mindlessly press right, up/down for this...
It's called impossible.vvvvvv because I originally meant to make a overly difficult level, but decided that having two difficulties is cool.

SomniRespiratory Flux

Quote from: nicholashin on April 04, 2013, 06:20:24 AM
I guess that's the standard now for insanely-difficult-but-playable levels? Well, it works for that, so... :vermillion:
I'll go ahead and download this now. It's nice to have some new content.
And yes, I'm still trying to make my own level. Key word is "trying". It's not an easy process for me.

Quote from: SomniRespiratory Flux on April 04, 2013, 02:14:16 PM
Quote from: nicholashin on April 04, 2013, 06:20:24 AM
I guess that's the standard now for insanely-difficult-but-playable levels? Well, it works for that, so... :vermillion:
I'll go ahead and download this now. It's nice to have some new content.
And yes, I'm still trying to make my own level. Key word is "trying". It's not an easy process for me.
I actually thought about whether Insane Mode is too difficult. I found it reasonable after doing Golden Spiral, which was a bad excuse to be honest....
So, I decided that Insane Mode CAN be skipped, as I don't want a level that no one can beat. After all, I think the secret area has more reasonable difficulty  :viridian:
I am thinking of making a truly large area that actually involves some place like Dimension VVVVVV instead of all packed with rooms, but like what you are doing, I will be just "trying", especially since college is kicking in......

SomniRespiratory Flux

It's ok, I'm up for a bit of a challenge. I've saved one crewmate in the normal mode, and found the secret area. It wasn't too hard to find. Once I get through that I'll try out the Insane Mode. I have nine :shiny: and know where another one of them is, but not how to get there yet. I'm enjoying most of the level so far. But the trial-and-error nature of the vertical shaft section seems slightly more annoying than it should be. It isn't a huge problem though. I'll probably have worse in my level without realizing it... :-\

Oh I understand what you mean by the vertical shaft section. I debated whether I should keep it, but I figured that I enjoy the trinket challenges in them. I think they made some good puzzles.
There is only 1 trinket in Insane Mode, 8 trinkets in Normal Mode and 5 trinkets in the secret area. Most rooms in Insane Mode don't really work for a trinket challenge. I think you can find most trinkets if you pay attention :)

Oh...I just noticed that I miss a checkpoint somewhere in Insane Mode! Gonna to fix this....

SomniRespiratory Flux

The lower section on the room The path to the end seems odd to me. Coming in from The lock, you have to flip upwards into the gravline, then flip upwards again from the temporary platform in the room below. However, you have to get really far over on the second flip or you won't make it onto the next ledge. But the enemies along the line seem to be in the exact worst place at that time. Since you fall at the same speed in every situation, you can't wait, and the room transition always resets the enemies. If I go too far over, I die. If I ease up a bit, I don't make it to the next safe ground and also die. There might be a timing where you can make it, but if there is, it's REALLY tight...

Oh....I added those horizontal enemies because I thought the upper section was too easy. I am sorry that I missed that. So I nerfed it and have checked that the rest of the rooms are good enough. I hope no more glitches will emerge other than the inevitable one in Terminal Game.
Oh, and I wish you will still be assisting and playing the level after all these fixes.
Thanks  :'(

SomniRespiratory Flux

Oh, it's no problem. I understand that the upper section might be too easy without them, the timing just conversely made the lower section too hard. I don't know about it being impossible or anything, just difficult. There's no problem at all. Of course I'll keep playing the level. I'm interested in seeing the rest of it now. :viridian:

SomniRespiratory Flux

OK, a couple things. I've done everything in the normal mode (I'm PRETTY sure) and everything but one trinket in the Secret Area (and if it's where I'm thinking it is, I'm kind of scared about it...).
-Automatic fun is somewhat broken. Half the time I go straight through no problem, but half the time I land back on the middle platform instead of falling past it to the lower level conveyor. The only way to guarantee getting through is to hold left there. If it doesn't work, you DO get a second chance to go down, but it never does on its own the second time.
-The path to the end was tricky enough to me without the line guard enemies. So maybe they weren't all that necessary in the first place.
-Also in The path to the end, the moving platform on the conveyor gave me an interesting glitch that is probably already known on the forum, but I'll mention it anyway. The platform moving to the left can't force you left if the conveyor is also trying to force you right, so you freeze in place while the platform moves through you. It probably doesn't make the top area any easier doing that, but I felt more prepared for the timing of things that way...
So far, nothing game-breaking. Just figured I'd mention a few things here. :viridian:

Oh let's help you with this :D
1. The automatic sections are meant to be done right from the checkpoint, so that everything goes correctly. Where you enter the first section really matters. I notice that these sections can break at times, but they are pretty tricky to fix. I can say, remove the enemies, but things won't look that impressive...
2. I changed that upper section actually, which is now fairly difficult. I just try to use similar concepts for it.
3. And I know about the glitch, but unluckily nothing can be done for this and actually I think the glitch makes the section a bit harder...
4. Oh and there is a trinket in two rooms below the crewmate, if that's the one you are talking about. Since I am such a generous people, there is a checkpoint. Moreover, the design of the room allow you to do the challenge on the side you like, as I think the right portion is somewhat easier :D
Don't worry it's not that hard ^^

SomniRespiratory Flux

Yeah, I figured that was where it was. Neither side looks all THAT difficult, but it's still kind of intimidating. And the automatic section isn't really a huge problem. I just noticed that the second room of it has the one problem. It was more a notice to people, saying "Don't completely fall asleep here, there's something you might actually have to do.", than it was a complaint. The level itself is quite solid so far. That being said, I haven't tried Insane Mode yet... :vermillion: