Author Topic: Escape from the Lab! A debut level by Woliken  (Read 3360 times)

busted nut

• Crewmate
  • oof
    • View Profile
Escape from the Lab! A debut level by Woliken
« on: July 30, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »
Escape from the Lab! is a debut level I made displaying my skills in the art of level design. I have practiced very much, to the point where I decided to make an actual level out of it. It's fairly short, but here it is! A small, simple level with 5 trinkets and couple of interesting mechanics!

Feel free to report any bugs!

nicholashin

• Professor
  • is addicted to making levels
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from the Lab! A debut level by Woliken
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:31:04 AM »
Impressive scripting! Race the platform, the puzzle area, and the rotation mechanics is amazing.
I like Counting the Death as well, although that mechanic is not perfectly original (see Palace of Peril).
First room was hard. Some other rooms were tricky, but not too difficult, say Rosering.
Maybe having less rooms with snail pace platforms would be better. They are boring. In fact, I used invincibility to pass Sloth Adventure because it's way too boring...
I guess I feel more astonished than the publishers reading The Cuckoo's Calling. It's an exceptional debut, man!
Just one thing, does the game end with the ship? It seems weird without crewmate.
Other than this, I couldn't find any glitches, although I missed some trinkets....(I took the wrong path for the 1st trinket, and I couldn't figure out there's a trinket near Squeezer!)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:39:00 AM by nicholashin »

FIQ

• Captain
  • https://github.com/FredrIQ/
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »
While I haven't finished this yet, I have to say that I like this. A lot.
Good work.

TheJonyMyster

• Doctor
  • Braid + VVVVVV = *fwoosh*
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:28:01 AM »
I suck st this level :viridian:.
I looked through the stuff and it had some neat triicks. If I had 2.1 I would have done some of it a long lime ago, though.

Lord Ghetsis

• Doctor
  • Working on a new level!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
Keep on making levels, man.

Info Teddy

• Captain
    • View Profile
Glitches.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:47:51 PM »
You can actually glitch in this level, mostly because you used a script to redirect Viridian when he would try to go the left exit of the start room. Please use an invisible wall instead.

Basically, you use the checkpoint in First In Line, then attempt to leave to the left of the starting area. Suicide by pressing 'R', then, if you did it right, the text box addressing Viridian as a lab rat will appear. After you advance after that textbox, Virdian will go to the start room whilst retaining his position, thus shoving him into a wall. The script will try to move Viridian right, but due to how wall physics work in VVVVVV, Viridian can't be moved.

After that, he will glide up the wall as proclaimed by Cavanagh Physics(TM), and you are now free to go into Almost Home.

TL;DR Don't use a script to set Viridian's boundaries.