YYYYYY

Started by Robson, February 02, 2010, 09:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robson

Download YYYYYY (version 1.1, 12 Feb 2011, 639kb)

My demake of VVVVVV is finally released! Thanks everyone for your feedback and encouragement. I never would have finished this without you guys :viridian:

Youtube Video
(the video shows the test levels in version 1.0, so it's spoiler-free)

Old screenshots: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17.
Old versions.

allen

Visual Basic 6??  :verdigris:

Reasons why?

If you are terrible at coding why not try Game Maker or Construct?

dinx2582

Robson,

I work for Black Duck Software, Inc. (this is in NO way anything even remotely sales-related in any conceivable capacity), and once you release this, since you're declaring it open, I'd be happy to add it to our Knowledgebase of FOSS (regardless of any license/public domain declaration, but provided that it IS open).

If you haven't heard of us, then this may sound unusual and confusing at first, but if you're so inclined, please have a look at our website or wikipedia entry for an explanation better than one I can give (briefly, anyway) of what purpose it would serve to have your code in our KB.  (Suffice it to say, it's 100% NOT-underhanded in any way, whatsoever!)

-Brian
Spider Department
Black Duck Software, Inc.

P.S.  I just like adding new things that I find as a result of my own personal interests.

joniho

This looks very interesting! Just wanted to say that you have my moral support, and that I wish you good luck!  :viridian:

Robson

Quote from: allen on February 03, 2010, 12:49:35 AM
Visual Basic 6??  :verdigris:

Reasons why?

If you are terrible at coding why not try Game Maker or Construct?
Good question! It probably seems weird to be using a language that was last updated 12 years ago, but I mostly have personal reasons:

- It's the language we were taught at school, so I used it a lot back then and just stuck with it.
- I write a lot of VBA macros in my job and I'd prefer to stay with one language, so it makes sense to use VB at home and work.
- It's allows for rapid application development, which I find very useful.
- I'd prefer to use a language that can make games and applications.
- I've written a lot of games in Visual Basic 6, so I've built up a large library of code and I gain more experience with each game.

I use VB for making games, C++ for intensive number-crunching applications and PHP for making websites.

Quote from: dinx2582 on February 03, 2010, 01:16:16 AM
I work for Black Duck Software, Inc. (this is in NO way anything even remotely sales-related in any conceivable capacity), and once you release this, since you're declaring it open, I'd be happy to add it to our Knowledgebase of FOSS (regardless of any license/public domain declaration, but provided that it IS open).
You're very welcome to add it! I'll be releasing it under the GNU General Public License. I have a whole bunch of finished games on my website, which are all open source.

Quote from: joniho on February 03, 2010, 01:28:46 AM
This looks very interesting! Just wanted to say that you have my moral support, and that I wish you good luck!  :viridian:
Thanks joniho! Hope you like it :viridian:

dinx2582

Quote from: Robson
You're very welcome to add it! I'll be releasing it under the GNU General Public License. I have a whole bunch of finished games on my website, which are all open source.

Great!  I look forward to the release, and especially playing it of course.
If you can provide me with a link to your site, I can grab what you've got available.   (nevermind, found it!)

Thanks!
-Brian

VAgentZero

Quote from: Robson on February 03, 2010, 07:35:34 PM
Good question! It probably seems weird to be using a language that was last updated 12 years ago, but I mostly have personal reasons:

- It's the language we were taught at school, so I used it a lot back then and just stuck with it.
- I write a lot of VBA macros in my job and I'd prefer to stay with one language, so it makes sense to use VB at home and work.
- It's allows for rapid application development, which I find very useful.
- I'd prefer to use a language that can make games and applications.
- I've written a lot of games in Visual Basic 6, so I've built up a large library of code and I gain more experience with each game.

I use VB for making games, C++ for intensive number-crunching applications and PHP for making websites.

Wild question, but have you tried out VB.net?

The Brass

So the crew is going to consist of 6 Y's?

Shasharala

Intriguing!  I earnestly await the game!
And yes, just like The Brass, I am curious as to what the characters will look like.

Robson

Quote from: VAgentZero on February 03, 2010, 08:26:53 PM
Wild question, but have you tried out VB.net?
I tried it out several years ago, but I think it's had a lot of upgrades since then, so it would definitely be worth checking out again. I'm very familiar with VB6 after using it for so long, but VB2005 appears to be similar enough that upgrading would be relatively painless. I'll give it another try after YYYYYY is finished. Thanks for prompting me!

Quote from: The Brass on February 03, 2010, 09:27:12 PM
So the crew is going to consist of 6 Y's?
The Y character is one of the orientations for spikes :viridian: I'll definitely give the crewmates names that begin with Y though. Suggestions are welcome!

My plan is to make the engine and then have seperate campaigns that can be (re)played in any order. Each campaign will have it's own folder in the YYYYYY folder and the game will begin with a menu, that allows you to select the campaign you wish to play (it will also display best time, deaths, trinkets). Very comparable to the time trial mode in VVVVVV.

Having it like this will make it easy for people to create their own campaigns and share them with others. They would just zip up the levels and then people would unzip them into a new folder in the YYYYYY folder. The menu will display the new campaign automatically. Another advantage is that I can release the game with one or two campaigns, then write more later. Finally it also allows me to use different sized levels for each campaign. I want to make one campaign with squares levels (the reason for this will become apparent later!), but the majority will probably have levels that are wider horizontally.

Quote from: Shasharala on February 03, 2010, 11:38:16 PM
Intriguing!  I earnestly await the game!
And yes, just like The Brass, I am curious as to what the characters will look like.
Thanks Shasharala! As for how they will look... have you played roguelikes? :viridian:

t4ils

Quote from: Robson on February 04, 2010, 01:59:49 PM
My plan is to make the engine and then have seperate campaigns that can be (re)played in any order. Each campaign will have it's own folder in the YYYYYY folder and the game will begin with a menu, that allows you to select the campaign you wish to play (it will also display best time, deaths, trinkets). Very comparable to the time trial mode in VVVVVV.

Having it like this will make it easy for people to create their own campaigns and share them with others. They would just zip up the levels and then people would unzip them into a new folder in the YYYYYY folder. The menu will display the new campaign automatically. Another advantage is that I can release the game with one or two campaigns, then write more later. Finally it also allows me to use different sized levels for each campaign. I want to make one campaign with squares levels (the reason for this will become apparent later!), but the majority will probably have levels that are wider horizontally.

I thought exactly the same about my nintendo DS remake :)
This way it will allow people to create their own campaigns :)

Good luck coding your project ;)

Shasharala

Ohhoho!
I see.
So an @ symbol then, eh?

Robson

Quote from: t4ils on February 04, 2010, 02:27:35 PM
I thought exactly the same about my nintendo DS remake :)
This way it will allow people to create their own campaigns :)

Good luck coding your project ;)
Thank you t4ils! Best of luck with your project as well - portable VVVVVV sounds awesome! It's so cool that Terry has inspired all this :viridian:

Quote from: Shasharala on February 04, 2010, 03:18:43 PM
Ohhoho!
I see.
So an @ symbol then, eh?
This feels like a good time for a new screenshot:

Shasharala

Robson

Got a whole load of stuff written in today :viridian:

Here's a new screenshot: