YYYYYY

Started by Robson, February 02, 2010, 09:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arcticwolf15

Finishing the levels in order, I'm up to Y now! Could you possibly make it so that cutscenes play after you beat a campaign? Just wondering. KTHXBAK2WORKBAI

Edit: Took a brake and looked at crysis. I realised that your cutscenes have potential. I'll PM you some story ideas I thought of.

Edit 2: PMIFIED!

Edit 3: I'm on the level 1!

Edit 4: Just two more levels until the debugging play, then I'll do the first play.

Edit 5: DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE! (done is spaning go... ...oal form) Debugging play nao!

Edit 6: Unfortunatly, The Gauntlet is refusing to work because of "Subscript out of range"! AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! PMing to Robson for fixing!

Edit 7: I fixed it! Hooray! Debugging play nao!

Edit 8: Found a new glitch! If you are directly above or below a conveyor bely (under you), you will still be influenced by it's pull, including midair.

Shasharala

Awesome!  I know I've said this a dozen times before, but I think I'm ready to start my campaign soon. =)
I'm thinking of a dungeon-like campaign.  Kind of a tip of the hat to roguelikes.

arcticwolf15

Quote from: Shasharala on July 23, 2010, 12:36:34 AM
Awesome!  I know I've said this a dozen times before, but I think I'm ready to start my campaign soon. =)
I'm thinking of a dungeon-like campaign.  Kind of a tip of the hat to roguelikes.

Professor Yale is already taken.

Robson

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on July 22, 2010, 09:39:58 PM
Finishing the levels in order, I'm up to Y now! Could you possibly make it so that cutscenes play after you beat a campaign? Just wondering. KTHXBAK2WORKBAI

Edit: Took a brake and looked at crysis. I realised that your cutscenes have potential. I'll PM you some story ideas I thought of.

Edit 2: PMIFIED!

Edit 3: I'm on the level 1!

Edit 4: Just two more levels until the debugging play, then I'll do the first play.

Edit 5: DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE! (done is spaning go... ...oal form) Debugging play nao!

Edit 6: Unfortunatly, The Gauntlet is refusing to work because of "Subscript out of range"! AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! PMing to Robson for fixing!

Edit 7: I fixed it! Hooray! Debugging play nao!

Edit 8: Found a new glitch! If you are directly above or below a conveyor bely (under you), you will still be influenced by it's pull, including midair.
Woohoo! I'm on my lunch hour at the moment, so I can't play it yet :( I'll be able to play it tomorrow though and answer your messages :viridian:

Not quite sure I understand the conveyer belt glitch - could you send me a screenshot or an example buggy room? That would help me a lot. Thanks!

arcticwolf15

I'll try to explain it:
<
@ (facing upward)

This is when the conveyor belts work normally

<
@

This is how that works, but when it is like this:

<

@ (facing upwards)

The conveyor belts can still influence your movement, so long as your gravity pulls them towards you and your underside is facing them

<

@

This makes one of my levels a lot harder.

Edit: I somehow broke the campaign again, but can't find the error. My Pms can be confusing, but read them all before doing anything. Please fix it!

Edit 2: Campaign fixed and stuff... distributed to the beta testers.

Edit 3: I've decided to post a map for those who don't have beta access so that they know what they're missing. Note: This map has red spikes... and words... I took this after I completed my first run.

Rox

So, this thread just plain died, did it? That's odd. I found this thing and thought it looked fun, so I played it, and it was fun, and then I made a little campaign! Just extract in the Campaign folder.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1098605/Flipbook%20%28by%20Rox%29.rar

And if you want to, download this song I made last week, inspired by SoulEye's work, and put that on repeat. If you're good you can beat the campaign before the song ends! But whether you'll even manage to reach the souvenir or not.. that's up to you.

Shasharala

Awesome!
No, this thread hasn't exactly died so much as the school season has started up so many of us are too busy to build campaigns.  In fact I have a dungeon campaign I still need to start on but just havn't had time for yet.

Hmm... by the way, I can't seem to download your song...

Rox

That's odd. Let's pretend I changed something! Now try again. It's  hosted in the same place as the campaign itself, so it's not on that end, and I can listen to it just fine.

Now that I think about it, though... I might've made that one souvenir I mentioned too tricky. At the very least... I should devise a fashion for people to not have to do the exact same puzzle twice just to get back out after collecting it. Will do that now! Back in a minute...

There, I uploaded an altered version of the campaign that's slightly less hideous.

[edit]
Made another one. At 26 rooms, this one's pretty big, and absolutely massive compared to my first campaign. Took me all day to make! It has a few tricky, non-optional spots... let me know if they're too rough. I'm also happy that parts of this one have a pretty well defined theme, thanks to the ingenoiusness that is room names.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1098605/Treacherous%20%28by%20Rox%29.rar
[/edit]

Shasharala

I see.  I was assuming I could download the song in a particular format for easy listening.  It is a live link to be played through an internet connection.  That was my mistake.

As for your campaigns, I'm very excited for them and can't wait to try them out!
I'll let you know what I think.  :viridian:

Rox

Right. Well... Just right click>save file as. That'll give you a handy dandy mp3 on your computer.

arcticwolf15

Well, I don't have time to play Rox's campaigns right now, and I wish I did.

In the meantime, I have heard only one message from my beta testers. Should I release The Gauntlet now?

Edit: The song was nice. The campaigns were hell. Seriously, tone it down a bit next time.

Shasharala

Ahh, I've got the song now.
I was just confused.  Firefox told me to save the link, instead of the file or whatever.  Silly me.  The link is the file.
Good song!

Hmm... well I really liked The Gauntlet when I tried it.  It was really, really fun!
I'd say to try to contact the other beta testers one more time then release it.  :)

I have to say... I really liked both your campaigns Rox.  They were killer, but there wern't any bugs.  Very good!
Nice names... and did I see a symbol for psychology in one of the rooms?
I definitely need to go through again and play them seriously.  :D
I died way too often to make anything of myself.

Rox

Well, I accidently made another campaign, it seems. This one's a lot shorter and more laid back than the other ones I did. Although I did go back to replay Flipbook and Treacherous for the first time since I made them, and I didn't have too much trouble! In fact, a few of the rooms were easier than I remembered... I also found that you can play most of Flipbook upside-down if you skip the fourth rotator in that room where you fly through four of them in sequence. Doing so will make the adjacent room (Palindromic Stitches) much more difficult, as it's tilted 90 degrees - but it also makes getting to the (still stupidly hard) souvernir a little bit quicker! The room after that forces you to right yourself to even complete it, but doing so causes the remainder of the campaign to be upside-down. Still beatable, obviously.

Anyway, here's the one I just made. Nothing fancy, just a bit of fun.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1098605/Descent%20%28by%20Rox%29.rar

Quote from: Shasharala on September 14, 2010, 11:42:07 PM
I have to say... I really liked both your campaigns Rox.  They were killer, but there wern't any bugs.  Very good!
Nice names... and did I see a symbol for psychology in one of the rooms?
I definitely need to go through again and play them seriously.  :D
I died way too often to make anything of myself.

Thanks! The difficulty is definitely intentional. So far, the existing YYYYYY campaigns were pretty darn easy, I thought, so I wanted to have some hell trinkets and such in there, somewhere. I've got the good old Alpha, Omega and Psi in Treacherous. The latter because it totally looks like the letter Y, but I guess it's also the symbol for psychology as you said. I never knew that... Let's pretend it was intentional and I'm playing mind tricks on you.

Robson

Hey

Sorry I've been gone for so long. I kinda overloaded on programming and had to distance myself from it.

It's great to see people are still enjoying the game. Welcome to the thread Rox :)

I've been playing through all the campaigns and they are fantastic! I am very impressed. Seeing people create campaigns makes me really happy.

With your approval I would love to include these campaigns directly within YYYYYY, so people get them automatically when they download the game. Would you guys like that?

If anyone has suggestions for the game or editor, please do let me know. I can't promise anything big, because I haven't looked at the code for a long time. It can be confusing to return to it, especially with a project this big. Any small changes might be okay though.

Robson

Rox

You've got my approval! As long as I didn't use any crewmate names/colors that were taken or just plain bad. I didn't do any research there...

And I have one suggestion, too, if it's not too much game-breaking trouble. I'd love to see platforms that move perpendicular to their own.. axis, rather than parallel. Like a horizontal platform that moves up and down, or a vertical one that moves left to right. That would open up some possibilities. Other than that, I really can't think of anything you could add or make better within the limitations of the format!