Sequel to Mission Polar!

Started by vitellaryjr, June 28, 2014, 04:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vitellaryjr

Finally, it's complete! I've been working on this for a while now, and I finally finished it! Behold, Polar Continued! (Made with permission by ToasterApocalypse.) It features internal scripting. Ever since I figured it out, I've used it in every level.

This is my second level released (The first one was in a topic that got deleted for some reason. ???), and the first one that actually has a story! Basically, Vermilion goes through the Polar Dimension guided by the green villi (name given in level), and Vermilion starts to remember more about it.

Screenshots!

Download is below. Hope you enjoy!

EDIT: I fixed the download. I forgot to put the level in the zip :P

Krief

I want to play it so bad (even though I haven't played the original), but the ZIP file's acting up.

Looking at your Kb size, I think you might have forgotten to put the level in or something... Mine says the archive is empty so I think that's what it is, but if I'm wrong, someone please correct me!

EDIT: to answer your screenshot question, I'm using the Steam Version of VVVVVV now, so I just use the screenshot shortcut (I can't remember what it is off the top of my head), upload to imgur and then direct link to the picture.

If you don't care too much and just want some screenshots on a mac, it's command-shift-4. Then you select an area and BAM. Looking up how to do it on a Windows 8, there seems to be a command (Alt-PrtScr) button that'll take just one window. In Windows 7 and below, there's a program called Snipping Tool you can use.

Whatever program you're using to take pics and upload them, the last two steps are the same. You need to upload to some image-sharing site (I use imgur cause it's "hip" idunno use whatever you want), and then copy paste the direct inbetween the image tags. After that, image!

As always, correct me if I made a stupid.

vitellaryjr

Thanks for the info! I edited the first post.

stylzm

how did u make vermillion playable and make the back grounddd???

vitellaryjr

Quote from: stylzm
vermillion playable
That can be done with internal scripting and careful placing of checkpoints.

First, have a checkpoint in a room where you can't die. Place a script around it called red_load. Then place an inaccessible script called red.

red_load:
iftrinkets(0,red)

red:
changeplayercolour(red)

back grounddd???

Change the tileset to Warp Zone and use a text editor to change the tile color to six.

stylzm

Finished it! Nice level I had fun playing it (though I got frustrated because I spent like ten minutes trying to figure out how to do "The Rest Of Platform Pandemonium").

Terry

Wow! Some crazy awesome internal scripting going on here :)

stylzm

Quote from: Terry on July 01, 2014, 02:46:29 PM
Wow! Some crazy awesome internal scripting going on here :)
I know right I Can't figure out the scripts or What a text editor is and I will have to ask my dad if I can download it any way cause I got in BIG Trouble for downloading WinRar so I could put mods in my minecraft.

I Also wonder when The ability to make a tower room or a map that goes to 100X100 will be possible.

stylzm

Quote from: Vitellary on June 29, 2014, 06:10:23 PM
vermillion playable
That can be done with internal scripting and careful placing of checkpoints.

First, have a checkpoint in a room where you can't die. Place a script around it called red_load. Then place an inaccessible script called red.

red_load:
iftrinkets(0,red)

red:
changeplayercolour(red)

back grounddd???

Change the tileset to Warp Zone and use a text editor to change the tile color to six.
Can you make  :viridian: a Grey color?

Krief

I liked it a lot!

Gameplay-wise, I think the your puzzles were just the right amount of challenging, although executing them took a while. Oh the whole, nothing was too frustrating. Overall, I'd say it's challenging enough.

SCRIPTING OH MY GOD HOW DO YOU EVEN DO THAT? That was pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to tearing apart your level to see what I can do with internal scripting! I love that you used multiple crewmates in your story, and I love that you integrated scripting into your puzzles (specifically the delay rooms). Like Terry said, crazy awesome.

Bug-wize, you've done a lot, but I missed a good portion of the game (I think) right after The Final Challenge because I died as Vermilion and was sent back to the checkpoint as Viridian. The game just skipped. I also have no idea how the cross-gravlines work. Other than that, I think there's one box in the Safe Maze that's impossible to get out of. Can't remember which, but I had to start the game from the last checkpoint. At least in the Not Safe Maze you can kill yourself so this isn't a problem.

Thanks for posting, this was really awesome!

FIQ

The De-wrap invention introduction room lacks the necessary script to switch you to Vermilion FYI.

EDIT: All right, just completed it. Great level! :)

vitellaryjr

@Krief:
Thanks for telling me about the bugs! I fixed the Safe Maze box (it took me a bit to realize what was wrong). As for the game-skip, you didn't miss out on a lot, but the only solution that won't take some time is setcheckpoint, but that would make it so that if you die, you turn back into Viridian. There should be a checkpoint in that room, though, so that's the way to avoid the bug... I'll update the main post.

The Gravity Spots are kind of hard to work out, but in the first destabilized room with Vermilion has a trick to it. Highlight: Flip up to the ceiling and hold right. Flip back down while still holding right. Keep holding right and you should be able to get through.

@FIQ
I fixed the bug. Thanks! (Did you find the last script a little... mysterious?)

For the wall connecting Viridian, Run! to Turn Around in the latter, some spikes are missing synchorization.
Other than this, I consider this a very good level  :)

Lollipop

This level... Is something I could never make in all my life because I can't do that :victoria:

moth 🦋

Quote from: Vitellary on June 28, 2014, 04:31:49 AM
Finally, it's complete! I've been working on this for a while now, and I finally finished it! Behold, Polar Continued! (Made with permission by ToasterApocalypse.) It features internal scripting. Ever since I figured it out, I've used it in every level.

This is my second level released (The first one was in a topic that got deleted for some reason. ???), and the first one that actually has a story! Basically, Vermilion goes through the Polar Dimension guided by the green villi (name given in level), and Vermilion starts to remember more about it.

Screenshots!

Download is below. Hope you enjoy!

EDIT: I fixed the download. I forgot to put the level in the zip :P

Wow! this is amazing!
the Internal scripting is great!

Quote from: Lollipop on July 12, 2014, 06:12:46 PM
This level... Is something I could never make in all my life because I can't do that :victoria:

What? Really? I think you could! 
http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=1089.msg8786#msg8786
Use these commands to make levels just as amazing as this one! 
(how to use at the bottom and commands at the top!

This is my Banner!
  Trinket! I want it!
      Who are you?