Ultimate Trinket Challenge - Trinket Challenge 1&2 combined!

Started by shape worrior t, November 13, 2014, 02:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shape worrior t

:viridian:
There are 11 trinkets to get in this challenge(there are 20 trinkets in all).
The challenges are numbered from 1-11. A quick overview of all of them(difficulty is 0 for average, 1 for harder than usual, 2 for very hard, -1 for easy, -2 for very easy[impossible to die in]):
01: A challenge based on It's a Secret to Nobody.
Difficulty: 0
Compared to original: same
02: A challenge based on Trench Warfare.
03: A challenge based on the first trinket in The Tower.
Difficulty: -1
Compared to original: easier
04: A challenge based on the second trinket in The Tower.
Difficulty: 1
05: A challenge based on the unnamed trinket in The Laboratory.
Difficulty: -2
Compared to original: easier
06: A challenge based on Purest Unobtainium.
07: A challenge based on Young Man, It's Worth the Challenge.
08: A challenge based on The Tantalizing Trinket/The Bernoulli Principle.
Compared to original: harder
09: Veni Vidi Vici/DTTHW. :vermillion:
Difficulty: 2[So hard it uses Piercing The Sky.]
Compared to original...: ...harder. A lot harder.
10: Edge Games.
Compared to original: easier.
11: Prize For The Reckless.
Difficulty: ......... .... ...-1.
Compared to original: easier.
?: A trinket you find in the hub. How to get it is a mystery.
??: A trinket... somewhere.
:viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian:: The trinkets you get for completing this.
Happy trinket collecting! (Note: this shows up as "Trinket Challenge")
Updates:
Current version:
1.1:Custom Graphics! Download included with zip.. This is my first serious modification of a tileset. And 09 is back to its pre-1.0 state.
Previous versons:
1.0:Altered 09.
0.9:Fixed some glitches.
0.0:Released game.
Download latest version (0.9):

moth 🦋

Bruce Michez

Not bad, but as I discovered with my big level, it's generally not a good idea to put checkpoints on crumbling platforms.  This is because if you respawn on such a platform too many times, the game crashes.

SJMistery

also, i think the 9th trinket is glitched. the checkpoint at the end being a trap is intentional?
also, the third trinket challenge should be redesigned. the floating spikes cause you to pass trough while you die, making you break some platforms during the death, and those ones will not reappear until you die again, also, the wall of this same room is misaligned at the end of the challenge. excluding this, a cool level

shape worrior t

?
Quote from: Weird Shadow Machine on November 14, 2014, 09:45:45 AM
Not bad, but as I discovered with my big level, it's generally not a good idea to put checkpoints on crumbling platforms.  This is because if you respawn on such a platform too many times, the game crashes.
Can I put the checkpoint one space above/below the platform?
Quote from: SJMistery on November 14, 2014, 11:47:03 AM
also, i think the 9th trinket is glitched. the checkpoint at the end being a trap is intentional?
Describe how it's glitched. Did you get stuck in a wall? And is it the checkpoint on the disappearing platform that's the trap?
also, the third trinket challenge should be redesigned. the floating spikes cause you to pass trough while you die, making you break some platforms during the death, and those ones will not reappear until you die again, also, the wall of this same room is misaligned at the end of the challenge.
You mean the fourth challenge? ..... .... ...........  ...... .. . . ..  . . .  . . ..  :victoria:
excluding this, a cool level

Bruce Michez

Quote from: shape worrior t on November 14, 2014, 11:51:21 PM
Can I put the checkpoint one space above/below the platform?
I think that would technically solve the problem, although nobody likes the sight of floating checkpoints.  It's also worth mentioning that the number of times you can safely respawn on a crumbling platform depends on the room's colour (it's complicated).

I found another flaw in challenge 9.  By mashing the "action" button, it is possible to glitch through the gravity line and thus get the trinket really easily.  (This is the same glitch that allows you to take some shortcuts in the final level of VVVVVV proper.)  You could fix this by increasing the distance between the gravity line and the floor.

shape worrior t

Okay. I used backing to make the checkpoints look like they aren't floating.
...But the platforms turn into conveyors after a while. Does this have anything to do with the game crashing?
For 09... well, I'll leave it in. It's very hard to do, harder than doing it legit, so....
:viridian:

allison

Quote from: shape worrior t on November 15, 2014, 04:10:21 PM
...But the platforms turn into conveyors after a while. Does this have anything to do with the game crashing?
Yes. It keeps cycling through sprites until it runs out and crashes.

shape worrior t

*sigh* Then I guess I'll have to turn the disappaering platforms into somethng else...

shape worrior t

...I made a new version of 09. Do you like it? (you being everyone who reads this post)

ZeNewDragon

shape worrior t

ZeNewDragon

Quote from: shape worrior t on November 17, 2014, 01:06:19 AM
..? :verdigris:

The walls are all cut off and there doesn't seem to be a reason making it necessary to move them around in direct mode. Do you just have it like that because you like it better?

shape worrior t

...Move them around in direct mode? ???
I used tiles 132, 135, and 129 because I needed to use Tiles 2 and I wanted it to look like the Space Stations. I figured the Tower could replace the SS look. The tiles mentioned look most like the Tower and SS.
If that makes any sense... well, in other words,
Quote from: ZeNewDragon on November 17, 2014, 01:27:27 AM
Do you just have it like that because you like it better?
Yes.

shape worrior t

Yet another update... This is like VVVVVV Super Adventure - the updates keep coming.
1.1 changes the graphics in 03 and 04, and 09 is back to pre-1.0.