Dimension SIMPLE (v1.2)

Started by allison, January 04, 2015, 06:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allison

Here's a surprise level for you all! So named because it's, well, simple: You progress through various levels and rescue crewmates. Sometimes you just need a simple little adventure to have. That doesn't mean there won't be some unusual gameplay mechanics, though...

CHANGELOG:
v1.2 - Current version, this is the attachment with no version number listed
* Updated name credit
* Added custom map image (drag the zip into levels without extracting to see it ingame)
* A couple rooms now have box checkpoints as originally intended (more info about this in a post below)

v1.1
* Fixed a bug where you can glitch into Spacetime Anomaly from above
* Fixed a wallglitch between Static and Unwrapping the Wrapper

v0.0 - Downloaded 17 times
* Initial release

moth 🦋

Looks great. I'll have feedback once I finish it.

ZeNewDragon

Man, that was a lot of fun! It's nice to see someone making gameplay-focused levels with really well paced and fair difficulty. It's also quite creative. I think my favourite room was the one with the teleporting enemies. Really innovative use of enemy bounds.

One thing I noticed is that it's possible to glitch into "Spacetime Oddity" from the room above by entering it at a certain angle.

The complete lack of story kind of threw me off. While I'm not a fan of anything overly complex in VVVVVV levels, it would be a good thing to at least have some form of introduction from Viridian and dialogue with the crewmates. Think 333333.

You could also hide a secret message in the blocked terminal in "Red Herring Room," seeing as you can make it up there.

Overall, great work.

stylzm

I'll check this level out  ;D.

allison

Quote from: jjourneyy22 on January 19, 2015, 07:24:48 AM
We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent. We are travelling by train. Out Buy RS Gold the windows, we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving on a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of Cheap Archeage Gold corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and village halls.
I was about to report this guy for spam, but I'm curious to see what he posts next.

VeeC7

Nice level, But I suggest you change the level names (the first roomname on every level)
Generic Laboratory Place should be The Laboratory
Space Place should be The Space Station
Slightly Less Generic Laboratory Place should be The Laboratory 2, and
Spacetime Anomaly should be The Warp Zone

moth 🦋

ZeNewDragon

Quote from: VVVVVVCrewmate7 on November 03, 2015, 02:22:37 AM
Nice level, But I suggest you change the level names (the first roomname on every level)

This is literally the WORST suggestion I've ever heard.

allison

Quote from: VVVVVVCrewmate7 on November 03, 2015, 02:22:37 AM
The original level names were intended as parody of exactly what you are suggesting: essentially copying levels from the original game. I tried to differentiate from the main game's levels here as best I could (though in retrospect they could have been yet more unique even without asset modding).
Incidentally, I still feel the same way about the same old level styles getting stale, which is why I keep encouraging use of custom tiles.

VeeC7

What was the purpose of the roomnames in the Abandoned Ship?

allison

Quote from: VVVVVVCrewmate7 on November 03, 2015, 05:27:51 AM
What was the purpose of the roomnames in the Abandoned Ship?

Not really much to say about that. Some jerk trapped in a room name factory is taunting you because reasons.

fraZ0R

What is the purpose of the second level in the folder that is in the zip?

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

fraZ0R

1 month is not a bump. A bump has to be at least 120 days after.

allison

Quote from: 5tr4 on December 24, 2015, 10:54:17 PM
What is the purpose of the second level in the folder that is in the zip?
It's some sort of metadata used by Mac OS X.