AFAFAFAFAFAF

Started by Robson, March 31, 2010, 11:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robson

Good news, everyone! :viridian: :viridian: :viridian:

I've had a big moment of clarity and realised that my demake, YYYYYY, is completely stupid. Ascii graphics.? Grid based..?? Two dimensions...??! I don't know what I was thinking.

I'm sorry I've wasted everyone's time on that idea. You've all been really nice to me and I'm very grateful for the feedback you wrote. You all showed amazing kindness and restraint, because no-one yelled at me and said "Robson?! What are you doing?!? You're crazy!!!"

So I've abandoned the YYYYYY game, printed all the code, burnt the code, then deleted all the files.

Now, the good news: I'm very proud to announce my new demake of VVVVVV, which is called AFAFAFAFAFAF! The AF stands for Astronomy Freedom. This game fixes all the problems of YYYYYY.

Here's a video of the first level of AFAFAFAFAFAF.

Here's the first build of the game, which is very buggy and only guarnteed to work on 2% of all computers.

And finally a screenshot:

Requiem

:o

Hahahahaha, good one, Robson.

The Brass

-Because there is no jump-time, the flip mechanic has turned from VVVVVV clone to gimmick. I also only flip when I need to.

-Even if there was, it's very hard to see where you are standing. Implement feet and shadows.

-Rainbow rooms need diagonal rainbows. If you hug the wall, it's all green like the other walls.

-You CAN'T hug the walls since the movement stops unless you are moving away from the wall. Allow the player to move at a reduced speed when the angle is below 45 degrees.

Terry

cymon

At first I was like "Hey, that's Terry's codeblock ray tracer." It's even got the curving problem. I thought "How poetic." Then I looked at the code and realized it was not Terry's code. This was written in VB. The heck? You write that all by hand and it has the same bugs? Amazing.

Sakura-Sun

I feel as though this is an April fools' joke.
But this game looks like it MIGHT have some potential. I mean, a 3D game where you can flip!
Why hasn't anyone TRIED that?

Terry

Cymon: My guess is that Robson learned about raycasters from the same place I did: Joe King's QBasic Tutorials! They have exactly that problem.

It's actually somewhat complex to fix the fisheye issue - to really avoid it, you have to code the raycaster to calculate exact wall distances instead of literally casting a ray step by step (which is a lot easier). (I never actually worked out how to do it properly - the basic raycasting code from Judith is just copy and pasted from a tutorial. ;) )

Robson

Thanks for your comments guys!

Quote from: cymon on April 01, 2010, 07:12:26 PM
At first I was like "Hey, that's Terry's codeblock ray tracer." It's even got the curving problem. I thought "How poetic." Then I looked at the code and realized it was not Terry's code. This was written in VB. The heck? You write that all by hand and it has the same bugs? Amazing.
It is the same!! :viridian:

In 2008 I stumbled upon this raycasting article and converted the code into Visual Basic 6. I got "textures" ::) working and made it output the graphics using DirectX, but I didn't release any games with the code. It was just a fun toy to play around with. I showed it to a friend at work, who suggested it "needed more David Beckham".

I forgot about it for a while, then Terry and Increpare made this TigSource raycasting topic, which made me all interested again. I got even more interested when Judith came out, because I like that game a lot.

I messed around with the code su'm'ore and then wanted to make a raytracer for Klik of the Month #33. However, my raytracer was loaded up with all sorts of stupid things. So I found Terry's raycaster game, which packed a massive amount of stuff into a very small amount of code. I converted the code over to VB, added in floors/roofs, did a bunch of other stuff and released follow the yellow brick road. (i went over the time limit by twenty minutes, but shhhhh....)

On Tuesday night I suddenly had an idea to combine the image rotating code from YYYYYY with 'follow the yellow brick road', to create a kinda three-dimensional VVVVVV. Probably I was subconsciously influenced by CooL's game. However, I didn't want to turn it into a big project, because I'm very focussed on YYYYYY right now and I'm excited about the progress I'm making on that. Plus, a lot of this raytracer stuff goes way over my head!

So I decided to release it as an April Fool's joke. Especially with the irony of using Terry's code to create a demake of his game! :viridian:

Whooops. I've written a lot there! Sorry, I get really talkative sometimes!

Quote from: Sakura-Sun on April 01, 2010, 07:33:07 PM
I feel as though this is an April fools' joke.
But this game looks like it MIGHT have some potential. I mean, a 3D game where you can flip!
Why hasn't anyone TRIED that?
CooL is :viridian:

Quote from: Terry on April 01, 2010, 08:18:52 PM
Cymon: My guess is that Robson learned about raycasters from the same place I did: Joe King's QBasic Tutorials! They have exactly that problem.
I completely missed that tutorial! Whoops, that would have been very useful :victoria: I'll check that out. Thanks Terry.

Quote from: The Brass on April 01, 2010, 11:17:11 AM
Implement feet and shadows.

-Rainbow rooms need diagonal rainbows. If you hug the wall, it's all green like the other walls.
Sorry about the green from the rainbows conflicting with the green from the walls. I've written a letter to Newton, to ask if he'd consider lime instead. Should get a response any day now...

Shadows? Excellent idea! That should be relatively easy to code in. I just need to recalculate the uniform height trajectory of the reversed vision plane algorithm, then approximately convert the return vector against the refracted original array of the colour spectrum spheres, before transl-l-l-l-lll

*brain explodes*

Shasharala

Damn It AL to Hell

Real cool Robson, looks very nice, can't wait for the finished product!   :viridian:

Damn It AL to Hell

Oh wait, it only shows a blank page when I click on the demo.

Damn It AL to Hell

OOOOOOOOOH! It downloads!  :D
:vermillion: We can obviously see that Vex69 is impatient and not good with a computer!
:verdigris: I thought you had news Vermilion.

Damn It AL to Hell

So I played it, and it was not buggy what so ever. A good game! 9.9/10 :viridian: