Have a Suggestion or Idea? Post them Here!

Started by joniho, January 11, 2010, 06:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joniho

Quote from: Terry on January 13, 2010, 11:27:57 PM
Quote from: GenerationV on January 13, 2010, 11:18:30 PM
Multiplayer!  I know it's far from fruition, but my ideal wish would be to have a 2-4 player multiplayer racing feature with specially designed stages. :viridian:

I've thought about it. :P

To add onto that, maybe co-op levels. And to further add to Terry's coding hell, collision detection between the players and puzzles around the new "moving object" mechanic.  :vermillion: At least that way, the players will be angry at each other instead of at Terry.  :viridian:

Squidget

It would be nice if there was a way to do standard campaign with no cutscenes, as you can with no-deaths mode.

rhebus

Quote from: joniho on January 13, 2010, 11:37:13 PM
To add onto that, maybe co-op levels. And to further add to Terry's coding hell, collision detection between the players
How would player collision make sense for mid-air collisions? If Veridian falls downward and Violet falls upward and they meet in the middle, do they counterbalance each other and just float in space? Veridian walking on Violet's feet and vice versa? It bends my mind just thinking about it...

CheezyW

This might be very glitchy, but I'd like box-like areas (in mid air) where you can do the following:

Slow time down (to make things easier or thrown off your sense of timing)
Fast time up (Quite self explanatory. Nice for traps.)
Mid-air one-time flip (like the bungee cords, but you can chose where you want to flip).

And last but not least: An expansion pack.

I'd like an editor too. I know there's the, er, hidden bug thing, but it's the most obvious choice.

Applekid

More suggestions:

I was pretty surprised how challenging Flip Mode was. I made lots of silly mistakes and even wound up getting lost in Dimension V a few times. Any hope for a Mirror Mode? (Horizontal flip instead of Vertical). If it can stack with Flip Mode you can get two more play modes.  :)

It'd be real cool to get "ghost runs" of your time trials... probably because I don't think I'd ever be able to show my best stuff on demand. I would think saving just the fastest run would be good. Probably would be great to getting people to post Youtubes of their best runs.

Also, I'm too scared to touch it in case I lose my unlocks and time trials, but, does the screen look any different when you have it on Slow mode? (anyone try it?) If not, BOO! It should have a little corner-bug on the room name line or something saying "SLOW" or the speed ratio. No fair giving out records to those not playing at 1/2 speed (or whatever the minimum is). Also, if there's slow mode, why not FAST mode? Same deal, non-standard speeds should identify themselves for screenshot purposes, but, unlike slow modes, the bug would be bragging rights. :D

Lorc

After playing the game a while, I thought "how lovely it would be to have a simultaneous replay of all your deaths ala super meat boy".  
Although I would be very surprised if that is even possible.

After further play I decided that it would also be cool if the game saved a demo of your winning performance for each screen.  After completing the game, there would be an option to watch a replay of your playthrough, but of course none of your failures would be represented.  The contrast between your apparent ninja skills and the memory of all those deaths seems like it would make for fun watching.
I would be impressed if this was doable, but not terribly surprised if it wasn't.

The idea of replaying it in flip mode was very clever.  But it made me wonder, what about a 90 degrees rotated mode? It would of course be called >>>>>>.  
It would also be a little silly, taking the idea too far perhaps.

But the number one thing I wanted throughout the game was a death counter for each screen.  A display in the corner of the screen would be nice.  Even better would be if the "C" on each checkpoint was replaced with a digit display* that increments every time I restart at that checkpoint.

If I'm honest with myself, the checkpoint display thing seems a little too dynamic for the style of the game.  A death-counter in a corner would still really be nice.

*Two digits would be fine, using 3*3 to fit them in if needed.  There's a few ways to deal with deathcounts over 99.  The counter might change colour.  Or have dots appear over the checkpoint, representing 100 undisplayed deaths each.  Or let it cycle back to 100 since the player is unlikely to forget so many deaths in that location - it's a very period-appropriate "bug" even.  I would also be amused if the display just glitched past 99 and showed nonsense characters.

EDIT
While I'm making suggestions, http://thelettervsixtim.es/ could do with a link to this forum.

Mercen4ry

V'ed (that is, seconded the Vth time) for multiplayer, level editing, and time trial replay from start. I realize a level editor is a considerable task -- perhaps you can pawn it off on someone else? ;)

In the vein of multiplayer, co-op has some interesting possibilities. I fear what Terry would do given the option of cooperative puzzles. :)

I'd also like to see an embeddable SWF (Flash) copy, even if it's just an extended demo or alternate version. This would fix most of the Linux compatibility problems, and provide a handy staging area for online multiplayer.*

Other handy ideas:
* Standard and Super Gravitron options from the main menu
* New Super Gravitron modes, featuring different patterns and obstacles
* Additional trophies and achievements (see http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=63.0)
* Play as any of the crew members, with new dialog
* Extra, extended, and blooper levels
* Challenge levels
* Completion challenges (finish rooms in X flips, Y steps, or Z time)
* Additional shiny trinkets
* V Mode: make the current rooms significantly harder
* The option to save a video
* The option to reply previous deaths (as previously posted)
* Easter Eggs

That's my starter list. :)

------

* Ignoring the fact the current executables are just prepackaged Flash. I'm much too lazy to decompile/recompile them into SWF.

At the time of this writing, I've gotten the demo to run on an (ARM-based Linux) Nokia N810, to hilarious ends. A general SWF copy might also be ported to other platforms, including Windows Mobile and iTouch/iPhone. Dare I say VVVVVV would be a big hit on the App Store? ;)

SoulEye

VVVVVV on iphone would have you turning the phone instead of pushing buttons to move...

Caio

I've been playing VVVVVV some more (in fact, I just got a brand new graphics card and guess what was the first game I played? :P) and, with the patch coming and all, I figured I'd mention the things that have been annoying me the most. The first is the lack of a retry button on time trials, which has already been pointed out.

The other two are the only things in the game that, to me, can make dying feel like the game's fault instead of your own. Number one: the character's sliding. It's very slight and does make moving the captain around feel nicer, but since this is a precision platformer, any undesired movement can lead to failure. I think the ideal here would be to stop the character's x velocity entirely when the player releases the movement keys, instead of gradually decelerating it. Number two: the collision mask on the spikes isn't quite right. This only becomes a problem in a specific part of a specific level, that being the place with four bouncing lasers arranged in a cross during The Final Challenge. Every laser stems from a spike, and I keep dying on the first inverted one without even touching it. Here's a picture and yes, I suck on this time trial ???. The game obviously doesn't use pixel-perfect collision detection, so perhaps just removing this spike and the platform above would fix the problem.

As you can see, these are all minor issues (with the exception of the sliding, perhaps), which I think just shows how well-designed the game is. :) I'm having a blast right now playing on flip mode, by the way. It's amazing how fresh some rooms feel. Also, the flipped Tower is creepy as hell! :D

kyledog

I would like to be able to play through the game as the giant "Combine" guy, who would be invincible, and just crush every level to bits, as a way to get out all my frustration! :vermillion: He could just crush spikes and enemies, though, as to avoid just falling the whole time. This could be an award for getting every trophy or something.

Buttons

Today I wondered what would happen if, during the Space Station 2 time trial, I went north from Exhaust Chute and hit a checkpoint at Drilling Down. Would I be stuck?

Naturally, Terry thought of this and put invisible spikes on the ceiling of Exhaust Chute for the time trial, but I was a little disappointed by that workaround. Could we maybe get something slightly more clever, like a horizontal bouncer near the ceiling (but below the checkpoints) of Drilling Down? Something more than instant death to reward players for their curiosity, y'know?

BlueSkies

How about an in-built option to save your playthrough to a video file?

It could come up as a prompt on the game over screen or something.

nathanel

Actually I think it would be easier to record only a 'session' ie. the keypresses of the player. It would probably take much less processing power and code and the session files sizes would be in KB not in MB. So, as a result, you wouldn't have to turn anything on, session would just record every time you play.

Then you can choose your best run and put its session file on forum or play it inside VVVVVV like Starcraft replay and record with fraps, etc.

Though I'm not sure it VVVVVV is deterministic enough that it would be able to play such a session file with 100% accuracy. Anyway maybe it's just a shitty idea, I don't really know much about making games...

Terry

Actually, the game already supports that - it's how I made the trailer! Implementing it in such a way that people can share replays would be kinda tricky, though...

Pyrite

Quote from: Terry on January 12, 2010, 10:21:40 PM
The level editor isn't going to happen, unfortunately
I like how, two years later, this is entirely invalid, along with the fact that I just tore through way too many old topics.