VED - The External VVVVVV Level Editor!

Started by Lollipop, April 30, 2016, 02:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xandog01

So... What are the differences between this and the normal editor?

I'm Confused  :-\
EDIT: I downloaded this, Now I know.

Xandog01

VED is pretty cool, but I have a problem: I'm not sure if it's the computer or the application, but it doesn't let me close out sometimes. I find it hilarious that you can change the p1 of checkpoints and start points and get different sprites. what do the other p things do?

Dav999

Quote from: Xandog01 on July 09, 2018, 10:29:28 PM
VED is pretty cool, but I have a problem: I'm not sure if it's the computer or the application, but it doesn't let me close out sometimes.
Which version of Ved did you download? The first thing I can think of is that, in earlier versions, dialogs would prevent you from quitting since there could only be one dialog on screen at a time, so there was no way to ask whether you want to save or discard changes when quitting.

The only reason why quitting would be blocked in the latest version is if it's going to warn for unsaved changes, or if such a quitting dialog is already directly in the foreground.

Quote from: Xandog01 on July 09, 2018, 10:29:28 PM
I find it hilarious that you can change the p1 of checkpoints and start points and get different sprites. what do the other p things do?
That depends on the entity. As far as I know, p4, p5 and p6 are always unused, though Ved uses p4 on gravity lines to lock them.

I'm not sure if there's a list somewhere that lists all properties of all the entities, but if you're interested, here's the one I made years ago, when I still had to investigate much of this. Otherwise, Ved's code would have all the info. Maybe I'll make an updated version of this list some day.

1 ENEMY
(v0 ^1 <2 >3), 0, 0, 0 (different enemy types??)

2 PLATFORM (CONVEYOR OR MOVING)
Conveyor: (>5 <6 >>7 <<8), 0, 0, 0
Moving: (v0 ^1 <2 >3), 0, 0, 0

3 DISAPPEAR
0, 0, 0, 0

9 TRINKET
?, ?, ?, ? (first is 0,0,0,0)

10 CHECKPOINT
(1 upright, 0 upside down), 0, 0, 0

11 GRAVITY LINE
(needs more research but apparently p1=0 hori p1=1 verti)

13 WARP TOKEN
destx, desty, 0, 0 (maybe there's a number for the ID that gets displayed in-game?)

15 RESCUABLE CREWMATE
(color, do research), 0, 0, 0

16 START POINT
0, 0, 0, 0 (do research for direction)

17 ROOMTEXT
0, 0, 0, 0
data = The text

18 TERMINAL
0, 0, 0, 0
data = script name

19 SCRIPT BOX
width, height, 0, 0
data = script name

50 WARP LINE
Research needed

Xandog01

This may be a little off topic, but how long did it take to make the first version of Ved?

Dav999

Less than 3 hours.

This was the official alpha 1. You could click tiles to cycle through them!

The development process was pretty open, so it's a bit hard to say what the "first" version was as you probably have in mind, since I released versions throughout the entire development process; each version became more and more usable. You could look at the release dates for the first "alpha" (see above), "beta", and "stable" versions, though. Everything's on the download page!

Xandog01

Quote from: Dav999 on July 10, 2018, 10:24:26 AM
Less than 3 hours.

This was the official alpha 1. You could click tiles to cycle through them!

The development process was pretty open, so it's a bit hard to say what the "first" version was as you probably have in mind, since I released versions throughout the entire development process; each version became more and more usable. You could look at the release dates for the first "alpha" (see above), "beta", and "stable" versions, though. Everything's on the download page!
Wow! I'm suprised how little time it took for the first version of it!

Dav999

Quote from: Xandog01 on July 10, 2018, 02:29:43 PM
You did look at the screenshots and realize how little the very first version was, right?

Xandog01

Quote from: Dav999 on July 10, 2018, 02:46:56 PM
Quote from: Xandog01 on July 10, 2018, 02:29:43 PM
You did look at the screenshots and realize how little the very first version was, right?
yeah

Xandog01

Quote from: Dav999 on July 09, 2018, 11:20:38 PM
1 ENEMY

2 PLATFORM (CONVEYOR OR MOVING)
Conveyor: (>5 <6 >>7 <<8), 0, 0, 0
Moving: (v0 ^1 <2 >3), 0, 0, 0

3 DISAPPEAR
0, 0, 0, 0

9 TRINKET
?, ?, ?, ? (first is 0,0,0,0)

10 CHECKPOINT
(1 upright, 0 upside down), 0, 0, 0

11 GRAVITY LINE
(needs more research but apparently p1=0 hori p1=1 verti)

13 WARP TOKEN
destx, desty, 0, 0 (maybe there's a number for the ID that gets displayed in-game?)

15 RESCUABLE CREWMATE
(color, do research), 0, 0, 0

16 START POINT
0, 0, 0, 0 (do research for direction)

17 ROOMTEXT
0, 0, 0, 0
data = The text

18 TERMINAL
0, 0, 0, 0
data = script name

19 SCRIPT BOX
width, height, 0, 0
data = script name

50 WARP LINE
Research needed

I don't understand this list

Dav999

The number before each entity name is the type (t), then for each entity (except gravity and warp line) p1, p2, p3 and p4 are listed.

Xandog01

Quote from: Dav999 on July 09, 2018, 11:20:38 PM
1   ENEMY
Which p did you say enemy type is?

Dav999

None, that was some guess I had yet to investigate :P

I really need to make an updated version of this list.

Xandog01

Also, next time VED gets updated, I think finalmode(x,y) should be orange, Because if you type the coordinates for V,VV,VVV,VVVV,VVVVV,VVVVVV, you can fall up and trigger the last cutscene + credits.

Dav999

The internal commands list needs some other updates too, it's just that the list is duplicated in several different places in different formats, and I want to make a way to edit that list at the source (a database) instead of making lots of changes in 3 different places. I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

Xandog01