What the Freckle?

Started by Arkatox, January 05, 2011, 09:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkatox

Whenever I go to my profile, then choose "Modify Profile", then go down to "Forum Profile", such as to change my pic, my computer/browser (browser is Google Chrome) gives a malware warning, saying going to "the following site" may harm my computer.

We all know that trying to edit my profile isn't dangerous, so what the heck is up?

While I'm pondering this/waiting for response, I think I'll change my pic anyway by bypassing the dumb warning. BUT, if my computer crashes and I lose all my data, I'll blame Terry. ;)

Terry

That's really strange - hopefully it's nothing to worry about, I've heard that Chrome is a little more paranoid about malware warnings than other browsers. I found this while searching, which indicates that the problem might be something do with the site you uploaded your avatar from: http://oliverfisher.blogspot.com/2009/01/cross-site-warnings.html

(I can't reproduce the problem)

Terry

No, I'm wrong - there's something seriously up with this forum, and I think I've found the problem. It looks like someone's found an exploit with SMF or something, they're hosting a very dodgy website from avatars directory.

Thanks for the warning! I'm taking the forum into maintenance mode to try and fix it.

Terry

Ok, all cleaned up now! I've upgraded to the latest version of the forum too. Hopefully that'll cut down on the number of spambots signing up.

Whirligig

The Reply button looks a bit messed up now. Is this related?

Terry

That just seems to be the new button on the latest version of the forum.

Whirligig

With a couple of oddly shaped, gaping holes in the bottom of it? I guess.

Terry

Er, ok, I'm not seeing that at all :o Could you post a screenshot or something?

Whirligig

Here's what I'm seeing. Intel MacBook, running OS 10.6.5 and Firefox 3.6.13.

Terry

Whirligig

The "New Topic" button is weirder.

Arkatox

Everything looks normal to me, on the part of the buttons.

Oh, and also, there was (no duh) no malware on the page.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say, thanks for clearing it up, Terry!