Author Topic: Abandoned Facility  (Read 1359 times)

shiny k

• Captain
  • (Together!) One, Two, Three! Three, Two, One!
    • View Profile
    • Univysta
Re: Abandoned Facility
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 11:00:07 AM »
The community in it's whole should judge the level difficulty, sans the creator. The creator of the level has absolutely zero right to judge the difficulty of their own level. After playing your own level over and over, you get used to the rooms and have almost a sense of muscle memory. Playtesters, being very new to the level, will have the experience of the majority (if not all) players, and therefore should judge a level's difficulty.

tl;dr playtesters should judge difficulty and if they say it's too hard it's too hard

CreepiX

• Professor
  • Nya :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 01:35:52 AM »
The community in it's whole should judge the level difficulty, sans the creator. The creator of the level has absolutely zero right to judge the difficulty of their own level. After playing your own level over and over, you get used to the rooms and have almost a sense of muscle memory. Playtesters, being very new to the level, will have the experience of the majority (if not all) players, and therefore should judge a level's difficulty.

tl;dr playtesters should judge difficulty and if they say it's too hard it's too hard
OK, sorry :(

shiny k

• Captain
  • (Together!) One, Two, Three! Three, Two, One!
    • View Profile
    • Univysta
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 03:32:04 PM »
Just setting an example, it isn't like you did anything wrong  :)

Mr. Pixelator

• Doctor
  • I tried to beat Nova once...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 03:36:04 PM »
You know, I think I'm one of the only ones who legit got through that red room. I actually finished the beta, too, so...

CreepiX

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 01:11:34 AM »
You know, I think I'm one of the only ones who legit got through that red room. I actually finished the beta, too, so...
Maybe some feedback?

Mr. Pixelator

• Doctor
  • I tried to beat Nova once...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 05:35:58 PM »
Maybe some feedback?

Well, the red room, as well as the Tunnel and the test chamber with the glitchy squares were really annoying. Don't leave 2-wide gaps in between enemies like that next time.
On a brighter note, that thing at the end was really cool. I don't think I would've ever thought of that. However, stuff like that eats up lots of rooms, so be careful with that. It's better to make a room worthwhile instead of making it so you only see it for a half second. Also, use a different sound effect for the claw, such as the "earned trophy in Super Gravitron" sound effect. The one that WAS used should only be used for something really important, like the claw appearing, but that's it.

CreepiX

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 01:45:12 AM »
Maybe some feedback?

Well, the red room, as well as the Tunnel and the test chamber with the glitchy squares were really annoying. Don't leave 2-wide gaps in between enemies like that next time.
On a brighter note, that thing at the end was really cool. I don't think I would've ever thought of that. However, stuff like that eats up lots of rooms, so be careful with that. It's better to make a room worthwhile instead of making it so you only see it for a half second. Also, use a different sound effect for the claw, such as the "earned trophy in Super Gravitron" sound effect. The one that WAS used should only be used for something really important, like the claw appearing, but that's it.
OK, thanks! But I am not going to change anything.

SJMistery

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 08:07:22 AM »
The room IS a little tricky, especially the first flip between the two breakable platforms. but if you ask me it would be okay if you included a checkpoint at the end. Getting trolled by the next room just because you had to run out of the platforms of the previous room and then react in a split-second and aim to the checkpoint is quite annoying. To better reference, I will call this red room it "the controversial room".

In general, you rely on tricky glitch-flips too much for difficultly. Shake things a bit, man, it gets repetitive and boring to die over and over only because of the poor traction. And ESPECIALLY minimize surprise deaths. Fake Difficultly is not fun, man.

Can't say it really bothers me, I passed the levels with only 223 deaths in total. About 30-40 on the controversial room. And about half of them would have been avoided if not for the hard-to-aim checkpoint on the next room. A hint, forget about the second checkpoint on the room after the controversial room. It is incredibly hard to reach and to add insult to injury, the next room is very easy so it is completely unnecessary.

And on the second level, I recommend to include one-way tiles on the entrance path to make sure the player goes the correct path when you reach the pseudo-backtracking section.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:32:34 AM by SJMistery »

CreepiX

• Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
the bump is real

5tr4

• Captain
  • Helping noobs... i think
    • View Profile