Dimension TLCWDC

Started by mrytp, December 27, 2016, 03:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrytp

Dimension TLCWDC is my second map featuring 3 areas based on the original dimension VVVVVV as well as 2 new ones.
Areas and trinket/crew guide:

• Tutorial- Similar to the space station. Short and easy with 1 trinket.
  • Lab- Based on the lab. Slightly harder with 1 crew member :victoria:
  • Conveyors (River)- Conveyor area with a drop section. Difficult with 2 trinkets and a crew member :violet:
  • Warp Zone- Easy but confusing warp zone with a trinket and a crew member :verdigris:
  • Desert- Quite easy but contains lots of quicksand so you have to keep moving! Contains a trinket and a crew member :vitellary:
  • Conveyors (Pipes)- More conveyors but this time you must fight against them. Hard and contains a trinket and a crew member :viridian:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

• Playtime: Approx. 15-20 mins
  • Crew members: 5
  • Trinkets: 6
  • Difficulty: 3 / 5- Has easy and harder areas and a few confusing puzzles (in the warp zone and desert)
Screenshots:

QwertymanO07

I haven't actually gotten to the level yet, but I'm noticing a couple of problems with your post. 
First, try to avoid that bright yellow you've got.  Can you make it a bit darker? 
Second, your screenshots are way to big.  There's an easy way to fix this: just put width=somenumber in your [img] tags, like this: [img width=450]

LafondaSaysMeow

i'm just happy that we are finally getting some actual levels on this forum now

mrytp

Quote from: QwertymanO07 on December 27, 2016, 06:09:42 PM
I haven't actually gotten to the level yet, but I'm noticing a couple of problems with your post. 
First, try to avoid that bright yellow you've got.  Can you make it a bit darker? 
Second, your screenshots are way to big.  There's an easy way to fix this: just put width=somenumber in your [img] tags, like this: [img width=450]

Sorry about this. I'll edit the post, i'm quite new to the forums so I haven't got used to using it yet

SJMistery

This level is impossible. The Black Hole section cannot be gone through.

mrytp

It is possible, just tricky. You have to follow the arrow combination in the rooms leading up to it (left, up, right, right, down) and find the invisible block in the last room to flip over and escape.

QwertymanO07

Quote from: mrytp on December 28, 2016, 07:25:34 PMinvisible block
See, there's your problem.  Fully invisible blocks like that are a universally terrible idea, since it's just denying the player vital information; something which is absolutely unfair.

Though this just shows how the level is.  It has some interesting ideas, but is plagued by numerous issues.

mrytp

Quote from: QwertymanO07 on December 28, 2016, 07:34:36 PM
Quote from: mrytp on December 28, 2016, 07:25:34 PMinvisible block
See, there's your problem.  Fully invisible blocks like that are a universally terrible idea, since it's just denying the player vital information; something which is absolutely unfair.

Though this just shows how the level is.  It has some interesting ideas, but is plagued by numerous issues.

The block isn't actually totally invisible, it's easy to see with your brightness turned right up and if you still can't see it, the stars in the background will disappear behind it. I wanted this part to be tricky because it's the last few rooms in the map.

SJMistery

THERE IS A BLOCK? HOW IS SOMEONE EXPECTED TO KNOW THAT? Plus depending on your custom tiles, it might be completely impossible to spot. And that is without mentioning that most of the time Viridian will fall through those blocks when going upwards.

By the way, rename "You won't do this on the first try". I did. Without missing the trinket.  :P

mrytp

Quote from: SJMistery on December 28, 2016, 08:54:24 PM
THERE IS A BLOCK? HOW IS SOMEONE EXPECTED TO KNOW THAT? Plus depending on your custom tiles, it might be completely impossible to spot. And that is without mentioning that most of the time Viridian will fall through those blocks when going upwards.

How many times do I have to say- this is one of the last rooms in the level so I wanted it to be challenging. Plus, the block isn't even invisible- it is easy to see. It is a different colour than the background. It is meant to be difficult.

Quote from: SJMistery on December 28, 2016, 08:54:24 PM
By the way, rename "You won't do this on the first try". I did. Without missing the trinket.  :P

Good for you

QwertymanO07

But the block isn't challenging, it's cheap.  If you had prior notification of the block, like a terminal that mentions it, it would have been better.  Basically, you're still obfuscating information by not setting up players to look for it, and if there was nothing in the last three rooms, why would there be there?

It's pretty much moot, though, since I think something like this would be better as a setpiece.  That would give the interest curve a smoother descent, which I believe would make for a stronger ending.

mrytp

Quote from: QwertymanO07 on December 28, 2016, 07:34:36 PM

What other issues does the map have?

Henry03