Area Trouble

Started by pattoo1234, February 08, 2017, 07:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pattoo1234

Check out this level! It uses trinket gates.

fraZ0R

Could i give some tips for posting levels? Let people know what the level is about using more than two sentences. Imagine being given a level and you have no idea what it's about.

QwertymanO07

You can take a screenshot with the prt sc key, and it'll be constrained to the focused window if you hold alt.

As for the actual level, though, I'd say this is your best yet.  It was nice how you had some light Metroidvania elements, at least in the Mad Cave.  You've also made some great bounds in terms of looks, and I quite enjoyed the unusual level aesthetics, something I feel this community could really use.  Of course, they weren't all hits, the Alcohol Factory in particular had an eye-searing background; try to keep the background darker than the ground. 

After playing all these levels designed to be The Hardest Yet, it was fun to have a nice, relaxing level.  Even still, it did have some bad moments, most of which caused by not giving the player enough information.  The trinket at the end of the Veni Vidi Vici segment of the Alcohol Factory was the worst example.  The issue is that it's hidden inside of a stack of disappearing platforms, so there was no way the player could have known that it was even there in the first place.  More generally, it was typically unclear what unlocked what; next time try and find a way to show that effectively.  The pyramid puzzle made no sense to me, either.  It's just an easy way to skip the entire level, and it doesn't even tell you what's going on.  Lastly, and somewhat unrelatedly, I didn't like how the player was locked in to a level once they started it.  I prefer to have a way out of every level, at least towards the start.

Overall, though, it was still a good level.  There was nothing that really tore down the entire level, and it was just refreshing enough that I couldn't help but enjoy it.  Hopefully, you can learn from your mistakes here to make your next level even better.

pattoo1234

Why are all of my levels fixer-uppers?

QwertymanO07

A) Literally everything is a fixer-upper
B) You just don't have the knowledge and experience yet to make something where no one will notice its flaws, of course, that's not hard to fix.

pattoo1234

There. I fixed some of the things.