Author Topic: 1x1 Screen puzzle thingy  (Read 128 times)

RikkianGD

• Crewmate
  • Nice.
    • View Profile
1x1 Screen puzzle thingy
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:27:03 AM »
Yes! The first map! It's a collab with one of my IRL friends. And i know, the map is lazy.
Also, If you notice anything wierd with this topic/post/idk then plz don't blame me.
I'm new to this website.  :victoria:
Atleast i hope everything works, as other times i have been making maps the start point
glitches out and spawns in the middle.
Hope you enjoy!
(VVVVVV became one of my most fav games!)

(And yes, Ikars is my IRL name and it f :vermillion: cking sucks.)

cheesefactory

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
Re: 1x1 Screen puzzle thingy
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:27:23 AM »
Hello, and welcome to distractionware. I myself was new about 3 weeks ago, so I know how it feels to post for the first time. That being said, don't write that your map is lazy in your post if you want anyone to play it... this is marketing 101. My suggestion is instead to actually give some visual appeal to your level. USE DIRECT MODE!!! This takes time, but your level is only one room. This means that by making that one room visually appealing, you have made the entire level visually appealing. Pretty easy! Here is an idea I had for this purpose:

A few semantics...
1. Do not put the word "cool" in your summary description. Players will enjoy the level more if they make that conclusion on their own.
2. This is REALLY IMPORTANT. Do not refer to your level as a puzzle level, because it isn't. My definition of a puzzle is a situation where you don't know how to proceed. Your level only has one path, so please don't call it a puzzle.

I'm sorry for overwhelming you, but the reason I'm giving you so much negative feedback is that I you have so much potental as a level designer. Here's why:

1. You included conveyers, gravity lines and enemies in your one room. This may not seem like much, but a good one room level should encapsulate all of VVVVVV, which yours did.

2. You gave your level two halves. This was a great way to break up the level. The music change helped make your one room feel like two.

3. Most importantly, you didn't put stupid difficulty in your level. There is a difference between good hard and bad hard, and you clearly used good hard. Thank you for not making 2-block openings surrounded by spikes!!!

All in all, this was a great start. Please don't stop making levels, because then I would have wasted an hour giving you feedback.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:34:30 AM by cheesefactory »

RikkianGD

• Crewmate
  • Nice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:44:58 AM »
Hello, and welcome to distractionware. I myself was new about 3 weeks ago, so I know how it feels to post for the first time. That being said, don't write that your map is lazy in your post if you want anyone to play it... this is marketing 101. My suggestion is instead to actually give some visual appeal to your level. USE DIRECT MODE!!! This takes time, but your level is only one room. This means that by making that one room visually appealing, you have made the entire level visually appealing. Pretty easy! Here is an idea I had for this purpose:

A few semantics...
1. Do not put the word "cool" in your summary description. Players will enjoy the level more if they make that conclusion on their own.
2. This is REALLY IMPORTANT. Do not refer to your level as a puzzle level, because it isn't. My definition of a puzzle is a situation where you don't know how to proceed. Your level only has one path, so please don't call it a puzzle.

I'm sorry for overwhelming you, but the reason I'm giving you so much negative feedback is that I you have so much potental as a level designer. Here's why:

1. You included conveyers, gravity lines and enemies in your one room. This may not seem like much, but a good one room level should encapsulate all of VVVVVV, which yours did.

2. You gave your level two halves. This was a great way to break up the level. The music change helped make your one room feel like two.

3. Most importantly, you didn't put stupid difficulty in your level. There is a difference between good hard and bad hard, and you clearly used good hard. Thank you for not making 2-block openings surrounded by spikes!!!

All in all, this was a great start. Please don't stop making levels, because then I would have wasted an hour giving you feedback.

Nice. But how do I use Direct mode? I have tried the mouse so its probably the keyboard that i have to use but i dont
know the buttons and that.

And... holy $"#& how did you manage to make different colors into one screen? the blue green and yellow???
interesting...

Edit:Edit:Edit:Edit: NVM the CTRL key  :viridian:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:52:44 AM by RikkianGD »

weee50

• Doctor
  • Creator of the WIP level, VVVVVV 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 05:20:37 AM »
In order to get multiple colors in one room, I suggest you use Ved, an external VVVVVV level editor. It acts like the regular VVVVVV editor, but with buttons for lots of things (keyboard shortcuts work too). However, Multi Mode, a feature in Ved, allows you to place more than one color of tile at a time, making level decorating easier.

But if you don't want to use Ved, the VVVVVV editor has a significantly harder way of making multi-color levels. To activate Direct Mode, press F10, then use CTRL + arrow keys to pick a tile. This is harder than using Ved due to the fact that you need to place tiles which fit with each other, but it's still a solution.

-Kiwi Alexia ♡

• Captain
  • <3
    • View Profile
    • VVVVVV Resource
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »
However, Multi Mode, a feature in Ved, allows you to place more than one color of tile at a time, making level decorating easier.
yeah cool i suggested that give me attention please

I'm new to this website.  :victoria:
Welcome!
Atleast i hope everything works, as other times i have been making maps the start point
glitches out and spawns in the middle.
Never heard of that bug?
(And yes, Ikars is my IRL name and it f :vermillion: cking sucks.)
it doesn't f :vermillion: cking suck tho