Extreme Danger III

Started by pattoo1234, May 15, 2017, 12:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pattoo1234

The third level in the Extreme Danger series is finally here!

pattoo1234

When will someone reply to this?

uugr

A reply: it wasn't that good.

I liked the part where you had to guess where the exit was, with no indication given of what you were supposed to do. I'll let you choose which of those I was referring to.

Oh, also the Contra Code reference. I've never seen that used as a reference before.

pattoo1234

Joshua

So I played the level.

What I liked was the green section where the rooms where all slightly different from each other.
Although I think the changes in the later rooms of these could be a bit smaller and a bit more incremental.

What I did not like was that the level was mostly single hard obstacles with a checkpoint right afterwards, this doesn't really require skill to do it but just trying it a few times until you randomly got it, like the ╦╦╦ Room with the 3 Trinkets these aren't unique challenges, but just doing the same flip thrice.
The guessing parts seemed pretty annoying. Maybe name the first Room something like "Remember: Up Up Down Down ...".
Sorry, if you did something like this but I didn't notice it.
Also regarding the Pacman Room why would you make an enemy go through a checkpoint?

pattoo1234

Quote from: Trdjn on May 17, 2017, 10:58:41 PM
Also regarding the Pacman Room why would you make an enemy go through a checkpoint?

So the enemies are symmetrical.

lol...ipops2

Quote from: pattoo1234 on May 18, 2017, 02:10:36 PM
Quote from: Trdjn on May 17, 2017, 10:58:41 PM

So the enemies are symmetrical.
NEVER MAKE AN ENEMY GO THROUGH A CHECKPOINT

pattoo1234

Where can I put the checkpoint then?

uugr

Don't move the checkpoint - move the enemies. Remove all the enemies in that area if you care so much about 'symmetry'. Having an enemy move through a checkpoint is atrocious design, especially in a room with four trinkets. The player is likely to die a decent amount if they care about the trinkets without hitting a new checkpoint, so what is already terrible has become four times worse. Nobody will care about a slightly easier room in an already reasonably easy level, but something like an enemy floating in a checkpoint is both horribly detrimental to the flow of gameplay and so obvious that the design looks ridiculously lazy.

also you could have just swapped the checkpoint and warp token with no change to the gameplay whatsoever but w/e

pattoo1234

Quote from: uugr on May 18, 2017, 07:04:02 PM
also you could have just swapped the checkpoint and warp token with no change to the gameplay whatsoever but w/e

Okay.