The Great Fortress - My first VVVVVV Custom Level

Started by The Coral Reefe, June 05, 2017, 11:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Coral Reefe

Pretty self-explanatory.  Try it out if you want to.

cheesefactory

Well, I am going to play it soon, but I checked it out on VED. It looks pretty neat! However, the room "Exit Stage Right" is wrong. Stage directions are determined by the actor's POV, not the viewer's, so it's actually stage left. Not that it matters...

The Coral Reefe

Oh, you're right!  I should've known that considering I've taken a few acting classes lol.

uugr

Finished! Final stats: 20/20 trinkets, 188 deaths, 39:16.

It was pretty fun!! It was a cool story, and the areas progressed nicely. I think my favorite part was exploring the overworld - the 'maze' areas were neat, and it was a nice break from the action (maybe it was a little big though). It reminds me a bit of DSS Ideal X, one of the levels that Terry featured on his blog thing. I noticed a few technical problems with your level, though.

- There's an extra 1x1 tile in 'Welcome to the Jungle' - these are pretty easy to miss and very frustrating to find when designing, because they blend in against the black background of the editor. They're a lot more obvious with the Lab background in the actual level, though.
- A number of rooms had out-of-sync enemies!! In general, unless the level's been timed so that you're sure any enemy spacing works, you want to make sure all enemies have the same interval of going back-and-forth, because they'll desync otherwise. A particularly nasty example of this was 'Oh...that warp', but that wasn't the only room with them.
- Walls smaller than 2x2 are all over the place!! This doesn't affect gameplay at all, but it looks really bad. They're in a lot of rooms, but one example would be in 'You can't catch me'.
- 'Contraction' has a floating checkpoint. Like the above, this doesn't really affect gameplay, but it looks bad.

That's it off the top of my head. These are pretty nitpicky, mostly... Your level was really good otherwise! :viridian:

cheesefactory

QuoteA number of rooms had out-of-sync enemies!!

One day, Uugr will be free from this burden...

Joshua

I played the level about a week ago, but somehow didn't reply so far.

I guess I could also post my stats on this level:
20/20 Trinkets, 637 Deaths, 1:20:06
It's definitely a good level, I liked the fact that you had a 20 Trinket Room,
and also that it was easy to go back and play any section again.
I missed one of the trinkets in the warp section, when playing it for the first time.