"A New Dimension" by Souleye

Started by SoulEye, July 26, 2011, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martze

Great work! An excellent level has become even better.  :viridian:

I did another trinket run and noticed two minor things:

"Persistence is key" (6, 13) is spelled wrong. I feel like a real jerk correcting your spelling. Sorry if I'm being obnoxious.
"Expander" (2, 5) is still missing a spike, so it is still possible to land there and skip the vertical challenge.

The new method for getting the trinket in the room now called "The only dead end" is quite clever. Though, that was more of a subjective game design thing suggestion than a real bug report, so you didn't really have to change that. I'm really happy that you thought my suggestion was worth implementing!  :viridian:

SoulEye

Thanks.

Fixed and fixed.

Design is important!

Gotta rush.

-m

cams

Just finished this.
There were a lot of amazing levels and I loved the new musics.

I'll have another try later for a 18 trinket run.
Thank you souleye. :-*

Kinata

I really liked this level. Funny room names and dialogue all around, and nice efficient level design (I always like when a half hour later, you come back to a room but in a different part of it). The only thing that kinda annoyed me is that I never know which way leads to a trinket, and if I go the wrong way I'm not able to back to try again (without starting the whole game over). Maybe you could try putting in some hints so it's never a complete guessing game? Usually it's pretty clear where the trinkets are, but especially near the end, there are splits in paths and it's not until you reach a few checkpoints that you realize you chose incorrectly.

SoulEye

Yes, that is a flaw. In honesty, I worked so very fast at this that I didn't plan the paths very well. I am a bit at a loss on how to make those hints subtle without breaking immersion though. Got any tips?

Psychopath

Quote from: SoulEye on August 15, 2011, 11:08:58 PM
Yes, that is a flaw. In honesty, I worked so very fast at this that I didn't plan the paths very well. I am a bit at a loss on how to make those hints subtle without breaking immersion though. Got any tips?
On my first trip through the stage, I only got duped out of 1 trinket because of reverse psychology.

Seriously, you make a room called "Don't go up", the only path leading up is a narrow passageway lined with spikes, and you expect me to heed that warning?! I went up there expecting a trinket on a challenging side-passage that I must maneuver through, not the continuation of the stage.

Name it something less subtle like "Reverse Psychology," people will better understand that the path that seems more hazardous is the intended path.

I'll look through the stage again to see if there were any other paths that I didn't notice a branch on but got the trinkets on anyway.

SoulEye

Ironically, that is the one place that has been fixed!

sfemet

Great level!   Had to go back through to get all the trinkets and finally got them all - I kept missing the one visible from the "one dead end".

Thanks!

SoulEye

Not very hard level huh? Terry had me make it easier on several places.

sfemet

Well, I would say that overall it was challenging enough to keep me entertained but never got overly frustrating.  So I think you've struck a good balance.

That said, I wouldn't mind the difficulty being amped up in spots (but I'm somewhat masochistic, so others tastes may vary).

Kinata

Quote from: SoulEye on August 15, 2011, 11:08:58 PM

Well maybe each time you complete a level (i.e. get to a crewmate) there can be a warp that takes you back to the beginning of that level, in case you want to try getting any missed trinkets, want to try recording it, or just want to have the fun of going through it again.

Sendy

I find that trinket hints don't break immersion if you think of an excuse... You could claim that Viridian is holding a device that detects trinkets, and have him say "I'm getting high readings in this direction", or you could have a terminal or crew member give you a fairly obvious clue. I find that a fairly thin disguise is adequate, you can even play up the awkwardness of the situation for irony :)

What I liked about this level the most was the weird dream-like atmosphere... It's literally like you're walking through someone's head, exploring the corners of their mind. Some of the trinkets I gave up on, but I finished the level the other day having enjoyed the exploration aspect, and the unique challenges - for example, the horizontal challenge!

Incidentally, you should look at this level in the VVVVVV level mapper. It's insane :)

SoulEye

Quote from: Sendy on August 19, 2011, 12:58:59 AM
I find that trinket hints don't break immersion if you think of an excuse... You could claim that Viridian is holding a device that detects trinkets, and have him say "I'm getting high readings in this direction", or you could have a terminal or crew member give you a fairly obvious clue. I find that a fairly thin disguise is adequate, you can even play up the awkwardness of the situation for irony :)

What I liked about this level the most was the weird dream-like atmosphere... It's literally like you're walking through someone's head, exploring the corners of their mind. Some of the trinkets I gave up on, but I finished the level the other day having enjoyed the exploration aspect, and the unique challenges - for example, the horizontal challenge!

Incidentally, you should look at this level in the VVVVVV level mapper. It's insane :)

I like everything about this post. Thanks. I may look into it - no promises yet... Because it's now friday and there might be some horizontal challenges coming up IRL after I hit the bars. By the way, there's an easter egg hidden somehow in my level... But you can't see it just by playing the level... (OH NO I DIDN'T!? NOW YOU GUYS GONNA GO INSANE!)

SirBryghtside

Completed this today - it was fun, but only after you got the first guy. Before that it just seemed really messy, which is a shame - I actually gave up on it a couple of weeks ago, even though past Verdigris it gets really, really good  :viridian:

Ice

Is the easter egg this?

If it's not, what is this?