outside.

Started by uugr, July 18, 2017, 08:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uugr

welcome to "outside".

in "outside", you will need to navigate a 20x3 map, doing as i instruct along the way.
if you succeed, you can progress to the end.
if you fail, you will be punished.
i think i see the way out...
do not do anything i do not instruct you to do. do not try to find anything outside of my rooms. do not listen to anyone else.
you'll have to do as i tell you to, though.
and most importantly, do not fail.

trust me.
trust me.

...oh, there's also another level included. whatever.

update: version 1.01
nerfed the second "DEATH DEATH DEATH" room and "do as i say".
changed the last challenge room. it isn't really easier now, but hopefully the difficulty should feel more 'controlled' and less luck-based.

Ally 🌠

...So the Stanley Parable in level form?
Well, even if it's not, by the screenshots it looks fun.
I'll try it.~

pixelator

Joshua

Nice Level,
but I would have liked being told what ending I got once I completed it.
And some of the rooms where rather annoying.

Quote from: -Kiwi Alexia ♡ on July 18, 2017, 09:33:36 PM
...So the Stanley Parable in level form?
I have not yet played this game, is it actually still worth playing it when I already know it's about me being able to choose different paths, getting different endings and being told that all possible paths were already designed before I played them?

uugr

ok, there seems to be a bit of confusion in the way that "outside" works, so let me make something clear: this level is largely linear. there is only one ending, and most optional paths dead-end pretty much instantly (with one notable exception). this level isn't really that similar to the stanley parable in theme or tone - i can see why it might seem that way at first glance, though. sorry.

Quote from: TrdjnAnd some of the rooms where rather annoying.
are there any specific rooms you had a problem with? i haven't had anyone else playtest this level before posting, so i'm happy to nerf any rooms if you found them too hard.

Quote from: TrdjnI have not yet played this game, is it actually still worth playing it when I already know it's about me being able to choose different paths, getting different endings and being told that all possible paths were already designed before I played them?
hell yes. do it.

Ally 🌠

Quote from: Trdjn on July 18, 2017, 10:50:58 PM
I have not yet played this game, is it actually still worth playing it when I already know it's about me being able to choose different paths, getting different endings and being told that all possible paths were already designed before I played them?
Yes.
It's still worth playing.

Joshua

Quote from: uugr on July 18, 2017, 11:08:15 PM
are there any specific rooms you had a problem with? i haven't had anyone else playtest this level before posting, so i'm happy to nerf any rooms if you found them too hard.
Let me quickly check the room names in invincibility mode:
The first part in "do as I say" took me quite a bit.
In "Death Death Death . . ." I had some trouble getting in between the 2 block gaps in between the hearts.
And finally "i dont care anymore / only one more room" was quite painful.
There were a few more hard rooms but they seemed reasonably doable.
Maybe I should add that I'm not that good at VVVVVV's movement.

Quote from: uugr on July 18, 2017, 11:08:15 PM
hell yes. do it.
Quote from: -Kiwi Alexia ♡ on July 18, 2017, 11:35:40 PM
Yes.
It's still worth playing.
And there goes the Steam Card I got for Hiveswap.
Whatever it probably won't release within the next few months anyway...

uugr

ok, i'll make those rooms easier when i have the time (which will probably be tomorrow.)

QuoteAnd there goes the Steam Card I got for Hiveswap.
don't worry, you'll probably get another steam card by the time it comes out in 2073.

Joshua

The Broom Closet Ending was my favorite!

It's definitely fun for the first 1.5 hours, I spend around another hour searching for secrets and other endings, which is where it feels a bit frustrating to not know if there is more and where I could take other paths.

Overall it was still a fun game, but it felt a bit short.

uugr

honestly once you've tried everything you can think of i don't really think there's any shame in looking up a guide to see what you missed.

also, 1.5 hours? that seems pretty fast... i think it took me four or so. that's something like twice the length of vvvvvv... also, quality over quantity. but i guess i get the "too short" complaint. there's a free game called Dr. Langeskov, the Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald, which can be downloaded from Steam and is very similar in style to The Stanley Parable. it was made by one of same people who did TSP, but it's a lot shorter. still, if you want more Stanleyesque content, there you go.

SJMistery

Interesting level. Too tired and too bad at scripting to comment on the bugs today. I'll edit this tomorrow