Supernova: the Ultimate Challenge

Started by Not Sure, June 24, 2022, 09:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Sure

It is done. I've spent hundreds of hours again. It's bigger and badder than Nova in every way. Actually, it's too hard. Don't play it. This is your first of many warnings.
Still interested? Okay, here are some screen shots.

Have at it.

SolarOddity

Woah, did not expect to see this today. I'm currently grinding Nova and I'm at the final checkpoint, so I'll start grinding this after I clear Nova. Really excited to play this.

Balneor

SolarOddity

As of right now I'm only at the 3rd checkpoint of Zone 4. I kinda just stopped playing for a while when I reached the final checkpoint of Zone 3 but I came back and cleared it today. You're probably much further than I am by now lol.

Balneor

Ah, I see. I assumed you were working on it all the while

As for me, I actually didn't start it yet. I'm waiting for August where I am planning on streaming it live. So, soon enough !

Good luck next !

Not Sure

Just updated it to make trinket 1 and the secret cutscene not impossible. Plus there are a few tiny graphical corrections.

Balneor

Well, here it is. My supernova clear. 16 hours. 7.8k deaths. One trinket.

Me beating the final checkpoint : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1561970809?t=0h56m5s

I might wait that all my streams are on youtube before I give more well condensed final thoughts. But one thing is for sure, I will never forget about this.

SolarOddity

WARNING: This post will probably have spoilers for this custom, so if there is anybody planning to play through this custom blind, I would not recommend reading this.

Clear in 23:58:56 with 10141 deaths and two out of three trinkets collected, those being the Key of Wisdom and the Key of Power. I tried my absolute best to make sure I saved before quitting every time, so my time and deaths here should be infinitely more accurate than they were in my Nova completion. Could be wrong, but I believe I am the third victor of this custom. I would also like to note that I did practice screens using the editor for many screens from Zone 5 onwards, so this is not an entirely legit completion, but that doesn't change how proud I am of myself for beating this. I just beat the hardest custom level to ever be created in my childhood game and I could not be happier. It was a long and arduous journey, but the $15 Applebee's gift card made it all worth it in the end.

Just gonna post the link to my final stats here because it won't let me show the image here for some reason: https://imgur.com/6F8lH8c

And here is the link to my completion of the final checkpoint as well as the ending: https://youtu.be/eZxX07e1FDg

Just gonna go ahead and say this is easily my favorite custom of all time and probably forever will be. Playing through this custom has without a doubt been one of the absolute best experiences I have ever had in gaming. My personal favorite part of this custom was easily all of the Final Zone. Really interesting and creative ideas such as the "Pong" checkpoint and the Penultimate checkpoint. I also really enjoyed the Battle Kid music, kinda makes me want to try that game again some time lol. Speaking of music, this custom easily has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Some of my personal favorites include the Zone 5 music, both Key of Wisdom and Key of Power music, the final checkpoint music, and of course the Final Zone music.

This custom also has extremely impressive custom graphics, I especially liked the animated tiles in Zone 1 and the final checkpoint. This custom genuinely feels like it could be its own game entirely. Creativity and good ideas are pretty much everywhere in this custom. There were definitely some checkpoints I enjoyed a bit more than others, but I cannot recall a single checkpoint that I genuinely disliked.

Honestly I can't really think of much more to say, so I'm just gonna end this off by giving a huge thank you to Not Sure for making this piece of art. I know I already said this, but this has actually been one of the greatest experiences I've ever had playing a video game. I'm already sort of sad that this is over, but at the same time I'm extremely happy and satisfied I beat this. Once again, thank you so much for this, this was an amazing journey.

Not Sure

Congratulations, SolarOddity! I honestly never expected anyone other than Balneor to beat this. It really means a lot to me that you got so much enjoyment out of my work, as I did spend quite a bit of time on it.

Now all I want to see is a speedrun. ;) Balneor will probably get around to it some day.

Balneor

And here goes the doc documenting every victor of this level, along with stats, for the sequel of Nova :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WBoXZOzf-0Xn_qpK_UD7GFOJKW-VnLYSBbja-WfbgLQ/edit?usp=sharing

As for a one segment Supernova run, I want to do it, but my backlog of things to do is currently pretty filled with Golden Spiral trinket fun and Supernova final challenge stuff, and I want to tackle them out first.