Previous topic - Next topic

Hilbert

N

blue626

Quote from: Protoman on October 12, 2012, 12:34:01 AM
Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on October 12, 2012, 12:25:19 AM
Is that You, kirby1000  ???

Yes

When I saw that username on the board index, I thought it was a new member, and perhaps spam. When I saw one of his posts I became confused. 163 posts! Then I saw that that person wrote a post that Kirby wrote, so I thought that it was Kirby, and I was right. Seriously, you changed your username, avatar and personal text at the same time?! I still had the post count as a hint, but your post count, the last time I saw was ≈145 or something. I hope nobody does this.

Quote from: Protoman on October 11, 2012, 11:31:44 PM
EPIC BUMP V2

TheoX's bump was bigger, but he said it was a bump and avengah didn't.

EDIT: Oh, and we're off-topic!

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on October 12, 2012, 05:01:01 PM

Yes

When I saw that username on the board index, I thought it was a new member, and perhaps spam. When I saw one of his posts I became confused. 163 posts! Then I saw that that person wrote a post that Kirby wrote, so I thought that it was Kirby, and I was right. Seriously, you changed your username, avatar and personal text at the same time?! I still had the post count as a hint, but your post count, the last time I saw was ≈145 or something. I hope nobody does this.

+1

I can't even do that! It seems like I'm the only one with an extra username in my profile which stays the same even if I change it! ??? So if I would change my name, avatar and everything, everyone would still see 'Dav999' in my profile! ???

EDIT: Never mind, it only shows up if it's your OWN profile (when I log out, it disappears) Is there an extra username in your profile? (This works for everyone's own profile, except for guests, of course)

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on October 12, 2012, 05:05:17 PM

Yes

+1

I can't even do that! It seems like I'm the only one with an extra username in my profile which stays the same even if I change it! ??? So if I would change my name, avatar and everything, everyone would still see 'Dav999' in my profile! ???

EDIT: Never mind, it only shows up if it's your OWN profile (when I log out, it disappears) Is there an extra username in your profile? (This works for everyone's own profile, except for guests, of course)

When I look into your profile, the list doesn't have a username, but in my profile, it has. Maybe it's the username, which you can't change. You can change the other name (is it called nickname?) and the changed name will show everywhere... except in "Edited by (user name) on (date and time)" if you edited that post before you changed the username.

EDIT: Off-topic!

N

:D BWAHAHAHA :D

SomniRespiratory Flux

Well. This is certainly a bump and a half... But I finally finished this level, a little over a year after getting the game. As it turns out, finally getting the reference of the entire level made me decide to go back and actually complete it. (The wonders of having an internet radio station based off of another band of similar genre to get you to listen to music you knew you'd like but could never be bothered to look up... At first I just enjoyed the music, then the phrase "swing on the spiral" came up, and my jaw hit the floor. :o)
Anyway, about the level, I enjoyed it overall. Some rooms were very challenging, possibly too much so for their own good (the last jump in As Below, So Above comes to mind, as do Urging You to Cross the Line, Swing on the Spiral, and Infinite Possibilities). I got both trinkets, but I "cheated" on Weep Like a Widow. I still tried to go as far up the shaft as I could, but only made it to Or Whatever Will Bewilder before giving up. Looking at the rest of the segment on the level editor, I'm pretty glad I did. I doubt that many people have gotten that one legitimately. However, the level has a nice sense of polish, and the unifying theme of the musical reference is a nice touch. Moreover, the fact that there's already a highly-regarded level based entirely off of a song like this has made me more confident in my similar plans (I've been planning such a level since before I realized that that was what this was, but wasn't sure how it would be taken by the rest of the forum). Now I really have to finish making it... It won't be as difficult as this (or as subtle in its references), but I think that I'll credit you for inspiring me to spiral out, keep going, finish it, and release it. :viridian: I suppose that's the main reason I posted this, as it actually makes my opinion relevant to anyone else who cares.

Flushex

Quote from: SomniRespiratory Flux on December 01, 2012, 11:40:50 PM
Moreover, the fact that there's already a highly-regarded level based entirely off of a song like this has made me more confident in my similar plans (I've been planning such a level since before I realized that that was what this was, but wasn't sure how it would be taken by the rest of the forum). Now I really have to finish making it... It won't be as difficult as this (or as subtle in its references), but I think that I'll credit you for inspiring me to spiral out, keep going, finish it, and release it. :viridian: I suppose that's the main reason I posted this, as it actually makes my opinion relevant to anyone else who cares.

Yes! I was actually hoping you'd make a level ever since you gave me such meaningful feedback on my first level. I'm excited to play it.

SomniRespiratory Flux

Glad to see some enthusiasm! Unfortunately, it'll be a little bit before it gets ready to release. I only have the basic structure laid out at this point, and a fair amount of the room names. The actual rooms are going to take some time to prepare. Not to mention I have finals next week, so I probably won't have much time to work on it until mid-December. I'll try to make the level fun and somewhat original, but I haven't been too successful with making decent levels in ANY games with level editors. Hopefully I'll figure something out. When I get things close to finished, I'll make a topic to announce it. Be aware, though, that by "less subtle" I really mean that. The only real purpose of making the level will be because I felt like it, so there will likely be very blatant and otherwise pointless references all around. Most centrally to the precise topic, but more generally related references throughout. And one area which, true to the inspiration, will be a string of shout-outs to other influences of mine, or in this case things I feel like referencing. This probably hurts the chances of me making good level design choices though, as the room names being decided ahead of time limits what I can do with the rooms to an extent. I'll see how things work out. :verdigris:

And this is all very off topic. Ah well. :D

Flushex

That sounds great. IMO, room names don't necessarily have to represent what that particular room is like. I find the main benefit of having room names is to provide a way of easy referencing on the forums when people point out bugs and such. As long as the challenges are fun, relatively innovative, well-paced, not too easy, and not too hard, it can still be a good map. I'm working on my third and probably my final level now and will probably have to slow down for the same reason you are, but I'm definitely excited to play and give you feedback on yours, since you helped me a lot with fixing the jaunt.

Also, because we hijacked this thread, I will add on a relevant comment. I highly doubt anyone was able to get the Weeping like a Widow trinket the legit way. It's absurdly hard. I did however love the map overall.

SomniRespiratory Flux

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep those in mind. I already decided that some room names I'll definitely use are by their nature impossible to directly correlate with the room's challenge, per se. It's just that if I CAN come up with something, I will, as the names really can add to the design if done well. And really, the thread was off topic before we got here, anyway. I had just posted about my own finishing of the level, and how it is inspiring me in some ways to finish mine. It'll probably be back to the second page soon, anyway. I don't have much more to say about my level yet even if I wanted to. It's still mostly vague ideas at this point.

Kinata

Quote from: avengah on October 10, 2012, 01:48:49 AM
I honestly don't think anyone has ever got that trinket the hard way at full speed without cheating. At the very least, a checkpoint is required at the top to make it even possible as far as I can tell. Otherwise, you wouldn't get anywhere near enough attempts at the downwards trip to get good enough to be able to do it.

You do realize you can add a checkpoint into the level via the level editor to practice the bottom half, right? That's how I gained the necessary level of skill to beat it legitimately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeETJqmooDs

Flushex

Quote from: Kinata on January 24, 2013, 03:44:28 AM
I honestly don't think anyone has ever got that trinket the hard way at full speed without cheating. At the very least, a checkpoint is required at the top to make it even possible as far as I can tell. Otherwise, you wouldn't get anywhere near enough attempts at the downwards trip to get good enough to be able to do it.

You do realize you can add a checkpoint into the level via the level editor to practice the bottom half, right? That's how I gained the necessary level of skill to beat it legitimately.

God almighty...

I never thought I'd see someone get that trinket the legit way. Very impressive.

SomniRespiratory Flux

Quote from: Kinata on January 24, 2013, 03:44:28 AM

:vitellary:

Honestly, I knew it was *technically* possible, I just never thought anyone would be so crazy dedicated as to actually DO it.

Kudos. :shiny:

Chillius

OUCH. I bumped my head.

bump V3 xD

OFF TOPIC