Author Topic: Balneor's Fun Level Pack  (Read 955 times)

shiny k

• Captain
  • Welcome to the MOTHER3 world
    • View Profile
    • my msuic
Re: Balneor's Fun Level Pack
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 10:46:39 PM »
Anything in blue is a problem with the level that Balneor should fix in a later update.
unless you mean balneor should look for alternate versions of those levels that balneor should fix, i dont think they should be editing other people's levels (especially without the original author's permission)
(yes, im aware that i used to do that myself, but the point still stands)

otherwise, wow! these reviews are short but helpful :viridian:

EDIT: the fact that Small things by KostaRotaev isnt in here makes me a little mad because while it does crash the game we could all use a little SPONGE MILK in our lives
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:58:38 PM by shiny k »

uugr

• Professor
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 12:12:25 PM »
He's already modified some of the levels. The blue text is mostly for problems legitimately preventing progress (missing ending crewmates and the like), plus basic difficulty modification (nerfing rooms and such). I know these both encompass modifications Balneor's already done, and they don't really affect the substance of the level.

You could argue that editing the difficulty is bad or goes against the original intentions of the level, which is probably fair enough, but I don't see any problem with adding an ending crewmate so the level can be beaten (the player is likely to just do this in the editor anyway).

shiny k

• Captain
  • Welcome to the MOTHER3 world
    • View Profile
    • my msuic
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
ah, alright i guess!

-Kiwi Alexia ♡

• Captain
  • Hiii!~ <3
    • View Profile
    • Invision
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 04:02:58 AM »
400 Rooms by Multiple Authors (who should be ashamed of themselves) - 15ish minutes. "ey jim" "yeh steve" "yannow dat vvvvvv game" "yeh steve i do" "well jim, yannow how most levels are designed to feel good and fun" "yeh" "well what if we made a level that looks and plays as shitty as possible to make as unfun an experience as we can" "yer a fuckin genius steve"
oh jeez not this collab
was this even finished tho

Bruce Michez

• Professor
  • Weird Shadow Machine, maker of [\], [II] and [X].
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 07:57:09 AM »
400 Rooms by Multiple Authors (who should be ashamed of themselves) - 15ish minutes. "ey jim" "yeh steve" "yannow dat vvvvvv game" "yeh steve i do" "well jim, yannow how most levels are designed to feel good and fun" "yeh" "well what if we made a level that looks and plays as shitty as possible to make as unfun an experience as we can" "yer a fuckin genius steve"
oh jeez not this collab
was this even finished tho

Nope, not even close.  It looks like Shadowspirit more or less derailed the whole project.  I'm still quite proud of my "Chariots of Fire" and "Fooled Again" (yeeeeah!) rooms, though.
It also looks like Balneor didn't include that collab's custom graphics, which had those red death blocks I used for the "Fooled Again" illusion.

Balneor

• Doctor
  • Gameplay >>> Story (VVVVVV)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 11:16:11 AM »
Nope, not even close.  It looks like Shadowspirit more or less derailed the whole project.  I'm still quite proud of my "Chariots of Fire" and "Fooled Again" (yeeeeah!) rooms, though.
It also looks like Balneor didn't include that collab's custom graphics, which had those red death blocks I used for the "Fooled Again" illusion.

There are custom graphics to this level ? Never seen any, so I'd definitely be interested, please send me a PM with those files.

At the same time I just want to inform that the first part of this collection is currently more than halfway through from being updated, you should expect gameplay fixes and tweaks, for which orange-red labelled levels will generally be related to.

Bruce Michez

• Professor
  • Weird Shadow Machine, maker of [\], [II] and [X].
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 12:09:07 AM »
There are custom graphics to this level ? Never seen any, so I'd definitely be interested, please send me a PM with those files.

I don't think you can attach files to PMs, so here goes nothing:

Balneor

• Doctor
  • Gameplay >>> Story (VVVVVV)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 02:23:13 PM »
First quarter of the compilation updated to v1.2 ! Many levels were tweaked due to Uugr's notes, going as far as removing some of them (It now contains 71 levels as opposed to ~~80 previously). Still, the comp's meaning is to offer some fun content to play, and not exactly the most polished, original and innovative material. For that kind of stuff, you can go by his highlights.

Up following are my responses to most of his notes, which concerns levels that are highlighted in orange red and blue (Those generally are tweaked) :

100 Challenges by som1sezhi (rip) - About 1hr30mins. Partially played before. Contains some of the best design of any VVVVVV level but it’s also hard as balls, especially later. Needs an ending crewmate. Also, the last few levels took up 1 / 3 of my level time - could probably be nerfed.

Most of the later frustrating rooms are toned-down.

100000 “by pattoo1234” - 15ish minutes. Literally just shitty 333333. What the fuck pattoo. Why is this here?

Despite the shittiness copying attempt, this level is just enough on the easy side (At least everything before the final zone)  that it personally wasn't too much boring to spee... play. So it's staying here.

336699 by TheEnderCast - 5ish minutes. Really simple and kinda bad. 90% of my gameplay time was one obnoxious DTTHW that kinda ruined the level, should be nerfed. (Starts at “you hate me”).

That was tweaked along with some other stuff, notably making the end-crewmate unavoidable.

3x3 Spiral by Lollipop - 2ish minutes. Easy and simple, incredibly basic design. Doesn’t really deserve to be on here.

Despite its blandness, I think this is still kinda fun to play. A lot of things were tweaked this time around though, especially that one trinket with a required death.

Most frustrating sections were nerfed.

5 Rooms by ? - 25ish minutes. Top 10 times a good level ruined itself by trying to make the ending too hard. Please, PLEASE do something about that god damn ending.

Little nerfs. You can now skip the mentionned ending ! laugh

5x5 Spiral by Lollipop - 8ish minutes. Even shittier than 3x3, this level has basically no merit. Definitely doesn’t deserve to be on here.

May not be as fun as its shorter brother, but with enough tweaks it'll still stay up here.

8888888 by Lenare - Played 45ish minutes before I hit a gravitron fling without saving and gave up. Playing this level was a waste of my time.

Not gonna lie, playing this again kinda felt the same. This level is now removed for convenience, because its script-heavy nature may not allow for much replayability. Specifically, if you don't go to certain places or activate some terminals for key dialogues, then the level will prevent you from advancing to upcoming areas, and thus allowing completion. And since you are more likely to skip theses like I did when playing this earlier (And getting progression-locked)... It can become particularly frustrating and waste-of-time-worthy to backtrack through an (Especially meh) overworld.

A Big Challenge by nPOW11 - 5ish minutes. why the actual fuck is this on here, it literally has no redeeming qualities. wtf

I agree, not really fun in retrospective. Level removed.

A Lab by AYellowPerson - 7ish minutes. A bunch of annoying precision challenges and then it's over. Boo.

I'll keep its tweaked version instead.

A Linear Level by WF - 10ish minutes. Someone's first level. Get this outta here.

Granted this isn't the best level out there. Added much more checkpoints and made it less annoying as a whole.

A No Story Dimension by DeadlyGoomba - 5ish minutes. Played before. IS fails to make this level interesting. Needs an ending, or you could just remove the level from the compilation.

I'll do the latter. Some of the gameplay is not enjoyable, maintly because of its general artificial difficulty.

A Trip to Nowhere by Bearboy - 4ish minutes. Someone else's first level. Seriously, get this outta here.

Despite a few of the trinkets's questionnable placement design, for me this is quite fine to play.

Abducted Once More by Pinkamena Diane Pie and SJMistery - 25ish minutes. Story has a kind of a “so bad it’s good” charm but that doesn't excuse the terrible gameplay. Also, bad design "ironically" is still bad design.

Kinda have a dark background with this custom, just like Back to VVVVVV. There is way too much questionnable stuff that you can't fix without a lot of work. And there are so many version of this freaking level too, it's one hell of a jungle to wave through. Removed for good.

Adventure by Mysterio - 20ish minutes. Feels like it was made in a day. Definitely not playtested. Thumbs waaaay down.

Going to keep it without forgetting about doing adjustments. Removed a few shitty trinkets, added more useful checkpoints and tweaked sections altogether.

All Alone by Mysterio - 5ish minutes. Easily the worst of the bunch so far, which is actually kinda impressive for a 3x3 map. I get that this is for people who just want more VVVVVV regardless of quality, but I can't imagine anyone desperate enough to do this piece of garbage.

Even more fixes. But yea, the original version definitely was quite up there in terms of polishness.

An Honest Mistake by Chap - hell no

Oh, come on, it wasn't even the raw version, laugh Tweaked it twice now.

Apathy by robloxfan1999 - 5ish minutes. Get it, it’s funny because the designer felt “apathy” about making his level so it came out really terrible.

Gameplay fixes~~

Arkive's Tutorial by Arkive86 (duh) - 4ish minutes. I mean, it's a decent respite after all those hard levels, but this level kind of has no reason to exist?

Removed all delay commands for faster gameplay access~~

Ascension by Pyrite - 2ish minutes. flurp

Very little tweaks, a notable one is the removal of one trinket.

Ascost by Sergione - 10ish minutes. Surprisingly fun and well made. I like it. Ending is cool but the last bit of IS is broken, needs a fix.

Dunno what the maker intended there, but it should now be fixed.

B0unc3 by FCreature - 3ish minutes. Wow, this is... charmingly bad.

Cleaned-it up a little.

Back to VVVVVV by FIQ - about 1hr30mins. Played before. I get that it's an important milestone in VVVVVV history but it's just not *good*.

Yea, think I'm going to remove this one. More frustrating than fun.

Beginner Level by Chip - 2ish minutes. Well it performs as advertised, I guess. Not interesting.

Good enough for me.

Burly Fortress by Joseph Cardle - About 1 minute. Manages to pack a lot of bad design into such a small space. It’s almost impressive. Except it’s not, it’s terrible.

Kinda meh indeed, removed.

Challenges of Death by Bearboy - 5ish minutes. D- level. Bordering on red.

No removal, only a few tweaks.

Computer Battle by CreepiX - 5ish minutes. This is a fantastic concept, but the actual design is frustrating and finicky. It's cool but please make it easier/less precise.

If you want so..

Computer Crisis by tos tur - 15ish minutes. Poorly made and buggy. Basically the previous level but worse.

Tweaks~~~.

Conveyor Vun by Nicholashin - 10ish minutes. Had to use the editor multiple times. “i fucking despise this atrocious piece of shit” is the thing I wrote immediately after finishing it, so uh, that’s not a good sign.

Tweaked like only 3 rooms, rest is fine by my standards lol. The original, unnerfed version was much worse (And close to impossible) compared to this if you're any curious.

Crash Landing by Mysterio - 3ish minutes. Played before. Incredibly unpolished and basic. I'd be ok with a modified version of this level on here, but in its current state it's just... waaaay too buggy and ugly looking.

This now should be somewhat better.

Crashed! by QwertymanO07 - Uff-da, this level is good! A shame it crashed partway through and the rest is heavily unfinished. I'd at least ask for bugfixes and an available ending, just so I don't have to leave it unfinished.

I'd love too, but there's only so much I can modify myself. For now this level will be removed because of its instability and really unfinished state, but I'd encourage players to hunt for it anyways.

DDDDDDimension! By Lollipop - 25ish minutes. Boring, repetitive design mixed with obnoxious out of sync enemies/pointless backtracking/checkpoint starvation, and lovingly slathered with IS that's barely passable even by the standards of when IS was first discovered. I can totally see why this masterpiece was featured.

Added much more needed checkpoints, for the most part.

Death Dungeon by Zane - 4ish minutes. Well this level is uh, "special". Why is this here?

Can't give a precise reason, but it was for the most part fine to play. Its brother on the other hand..

Difficulty Spike by Nicholashin - Played 15 minutes, then decided to stop. God, this level is AWFUL.

Modified the difficulty of some sections (I.e pixel jumps in insane mode) among other tweaks.

Dimension ABCDE2 by lamourieparkinson - 20ish minutes. Actually significantly worse than the original, really inconsistent difficulty and some VERY poor rooms. Part of the wave of "look mom, I can IS too" type levels. Graphic file is missing (??).

The custom's original topic doesn't mention or give access to anything related to that. They were only used once in a very specific location, so it's fair to assume it was intended as such. Tweaks yet again, not feeling any older yet.

Dimension Artificial by KostaRotaev - 10ish minutes. The smallest 20x20 map with 20 trinkets ever, probably. I dunno what to say, the room design was... fine? I mean jeez, KostaRotaev’s writing is just as nonsensical in his levels as his posts.

Modified.

Dimension Byte by Veec7 - 20ish minutes. Until the final level this was really good, but the overlong repetitive final level was totally unnecessary.

Modified.

Dimension Colored "by pattoo1234" - WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS DOING HERE

Removed. At the time I though it would make for some "interesting" gameplay. Unfortunately it's in reality more frustrating than anything else, really. People would probably not be able to beat it due to its unmatched level design.

“Thedangerzonemoded” by Andrew Taylor - 15ish minutes. This level does genuinely have some cool ideas and I enjoyed a lot of the rooms the first time playing them, but DEAR GOD DOES THIS LEVEL NEED CHECKPOINTS. Seriously, it's frustrating as SHIT without them. Also fix the title and do something about the “gimme” trinkets, probably.

Done.

Untitled Level - damn i love this one, 11/10. Seriously though you accidentally put two "A No Story Dimension"s in here and one of them is just a blank level file. Might wanna do somethin’ about that.

Sorry but I can't seem to find that one duplicate level you're talking about. On the other hand I accidentally put another level twice, which now is fixed.

Now that this is said, I'll immediately start working on improving the second quarter, but expect that to take longer than this one, by far.