What do you guys think makes a good VVVVVV level?

Started by Peridot, November 27, 2018, 04:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peridot

When designing/playing levels what are you guys always looking and hoping for?

pixelator

Bruce Michez

moth 🦋

of course there are exceptions to every rule so do what you want as long as you do it well

allison

mostly I look for crazy new shit that hasn't been done before, including/especially stuff that intentionally flouts the "rules" in that what not to put thread (lol, just noticed the first post lists improper design, thanks for the specificity)

for awhile i thought that everything has to have been done by this point, but now i think people could innovate in levels forever if they wanted to, especially narratively and thematically. there's lots of untapped potential there, i'm tired of people letting my edgy trolley problem bullshit stand! the world needs more avant garde walking sim vvvvvv levels

uugr

^ what alek said.

I've played enough of Balneor's pack that I can definitely pick out the same motions being gone over in most levels. IMO, some of the best levels the game has ever seen came out of the recent contest, 'cause people had to shake things up and use more IS and such. Specifically, I still think createentity has potential for some really cool designs that no level I've seen has done (or done WELL, in some cases).

Ally 🌠

Gameplay is focused on a bit too much nowadays
It's like. Yeah, what's a level withoht good gameplay, but when it starts to outweigh the plot by too much, then you just have a boring level.
TL;DR while gameplay is important, it isn't everything that makes a level.

moth 🦋

Quote from: -Kiwi Alexia ♡ on November 30, 2018, 03:14:51 AM
Gameplay is focused on a bit too much nowadays
It's like. Yeah, what's a level withoht good gameplay, but when it starts to outweigh the plot by too much, then you just have a boring level.
TL;DR while gameplay is important, it isn't everything that makes a level.
i disagree - you can have a level that's just gameplay with minimal or no plot and it can be great (some of the levels that come with the game are like this, ex. line wrap), and you can have a level that's just plot with minimal or no gameplay and it can be great too (again, some of the levels that come with the game are like this, ex. victuals)
i think it's best to have a balance of both, but as a level creator it's good to balance your level around your skillset! for example, if you're a good story writer, you could put the spotlight on the plot, and focus on everything else slightly less. or push yourself out of your comfort zone, and do something you aren't too good at
i recently released VVVVVVinktober, a level where i themed each room after an inktober prompt, forcing me to focus on gameplay (which wasnt my strong suit) and it really helps you grow as a level maker/designer!
honestly, like i said, just do what you want, and have fun with it

uugr

lowkey saying "your level should have x ratio of gameplay/story" is probably some of the worst advice you can give to a level designer

imo a 90% story level with token gameplay that doesn't add anything is worse than a pure walking simulator

Ally 🌠

im not saying that lol
gameplay alone can make really good levels but imo they get pretty boring if thats all it is for 400 rooms