Version 2: Report bugs here

Started by Terry, July 28, 2011, 03:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaking177

i had a friend test the glitches i did on the 3DS on the PC version, and it seems they are there as well. all of the glitches besides the freezing one. he could not make a video, because he says fraps wont work.

seems the 3DS version has the same bugs and glitches as the PC counterpart  :vermillion:

Quote from: cams on January 05, 2012, 03:25:31 PM
Sometimes when I play a player made level, when I check the map an entire vertical line is shown as visited. This happened once in the middle part, and recently happened at the right end.
http://i41.tinypic.com/21eyf49.png

I see this problem after to reach the 3rd screen of the featured level "Roadtrip to the Moon", if it's useful for somebody else for to confirm the issue.

Terry

That one's fixed in the new beta patch (which should be officially rolled out very soon, Simon's been working on it)

OJ

Really strange bug.

Okay, so I'm just playing the game, and randomly the music and SFX switch off. I turn my volume up, that's no use. And then, after a while of playing no-music (which is much worse than it sounds, considering how awesome the soundtrack is), the game just suddenly closes. I don't know what's causing it, but it seems to occur when I'm playing player levels. It also happens when I make my own level (I don't make REAL levels [yet], I just mess around in the editor). I think it might be something wrong with the music command, because it seems to happen quite a bit whenever the music changes. Never has happened in the actual game, though...

Oh yeah, and I'm using the 2.1 Windows version. Using Steam, if that makes a difference.

Yes, I registered just to post this.  :P

seaking177

Quote from: OJ on January 10, 2012, 12:33:20 AM
Okay, so I'm just playing the game, and randomly the music and SFX switch off. I turn my volume up, that's no use. And then, after a while of playing no-music (which is much worse than it sounds, considering how awesome the soundtrack is), the game just suddenly closes.
this happens after getting a crew, or what?
if it is after getting a crew, how long does it take to make the game close?

this happens on the 3DS version (already made a video) except the game closing part, as far as i know.

Tranquilite

Quote from: simoroth on November 19, 2011, 07:37:49 PM
Quote from: PJBottomz on November 14, 2011, 09:05:16 PM
Quote from: Tranquilite on November 02, 2011, 08:33:24 AM
It looks like 2.0 runs significantly slower than 1.2. for example, if you enter a time trial, and compare the game's timer with a stopwatch application, you should get something like this:

Turns out the time difference is about 6 seconds every 5 minutes. While I am unsure why exactly the game runs slower, I suspect it may have something to do with the framerate. When I was doing some sample video recording of version 2.0, I noticed that I would get a duplicate video frame once every 50 frames when recording at 30 fps (VVVVVV 1.2 has no duplicate frames at 30fps). I thought that perhaps the game was running at NTSC 29.97 fps but this only resulted in one duplicate frame every 54 frames. Then I noticed that under "nearest ms" heading of virtualdub (the capture program I use) there was an option of 29.41 fps, which incidentally enough seemed to be the exact framerate 2.0 was running at as my captures no longer had duplicate frames.

My hypothesis is that VVVVVV 2.0 runs the timer as if it were running at 30fps when in actuality it is running at 29.41 fps, thus causing a discrepancy in the timer. This correlates with observed data, as 29.41fps/30.00fps = .9801 and 306s(5min, 6s)/300s = .980.

So in fact version 2.0 is actually running at 98% the speed as version 1.2. while that doesn't seem much, the error really adds up over the course of a single play through.

Um... why do you still have 2.0? Terry released the 2.1 patch long ago.

Wow thats very strange.

I've found the issue. Its a minuscule rounding error due to the locked framerate on flash vs C++.

We never spotted it because Terry and our testers can finish most areas in about 30 seconds. :p

I'll fix that now. :D

Edit: Ok in game timers are now based on ticks and super duper accurate. Update goes live tonight.

I hate to nag, but it has been a month or so since this bug has been reported fixed, and we still haven't seen a new patch implementing it. Is the final release of 2.1(or whatever comes next) in the works, or is this bug fix never going to see the light of day?

cams

That's a good question.
Quote from: Terry on January 09, 2012, 08:15:51 PM
That one's fixed in the new beta patch (which should be officially rolled out very soon, Simon's been working on it)
How soon is very soon?

Insani

In the beta, the new levels show up completely blank, even the ones I downloaded before.

I have the levels.rar levels in my VVVVVV folder, but their names are blank and clicking on them leads to an empty level.

If I reextract them into the vvvvvv folder while in-game, they work for that session.

It did the blank thing before I installed all the levels, I had most of them, and I didn't want to download all the new levels (I didn't play them anyway, just made levels myself usually), so I just installed the new VVVVVV before the levels.

Arthur

There are some level breaking bugs:

• Crossing a warp line and immediatly turning back can make the game ignores the warp line. It can for example break the last part of Souleye's A New Dimension (use it  in "Minos Made Me My Magnificent Maze", and you'll be in a large empty space leading to the final warp).
  • If you die at the exact moment you enter a script box, the script will execute after you respawn. It can be used to go from CCCCCCCCC Retold's level 2 to level 9.
  • Kill yourself in front of a terminal, and activate it on the moment you respawn. It ends as the previous bug.
    This last one is easier if there are dialog lines before the critical moment (such as the moment the gravlines or the warps are destroyed). You just have to activate the terminal after you kill yourself, timing doesn't change anything.
If you want these awesome levels to be played correctly, please correct these glitches!
Thanks.