Author Topic: I'm making a full VVVVVV recreation in Minecraft!  (Read 292 times)

Bentroen

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
I'm making a full VVVVVV recreation in Minecraft!
« on: March 29, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
Hey, everyone!

I had VVVVVV lying around in my Steam library for a few years, after having briefly heard about it and buying it on a sale. Little I knew about how much I was missing by not having played it before -- until some time a month ago when I was bored and out of nowhere decided to see what it was about. And maaaan... what a game! (I guess we all know how good this game is, so I don't need to get into that ;D).

Being a bit of a gamer myself, Minecraft is also among my favorite games. Though I don't play the more "known" game modes a lot (i.e. survival, mini-games etc.), I'm part of the mapmaking community, which is to Minecraft what the custom level making community is for VVVVVV. MC mapmaking is all about creating entirely new experiences with the tools the game provides you, which sometimes can even make you forget you're still in Minecraft!

As a mapmaker myself, I like recreating games and experiences inside Minecraft as a way to show my love for them. That's why, after having played VVVVVV and liking it so much, I decided to do... *drumroll*

~ VVVVVV in Minecraft! ~

(In case you're wondering, here's some screenshots of the progress I made so far, including all rooms in the game imported to Minecraft as blocks!)

Though, there's a bit of a challenge. Being part of the VVVVVV community for just a bit over a month, there are tons of things about the game that I may not know and also haven't learned from the couple times I played it through.

On the other hand, I've seen many of you have done some substantial research on the technical side of the game since its release, as a way to make better custom levels (heck, some of you are on this board for seven years! xD)

And that's the reason behind this post. I'm looking for someone who could assist me with the technical side of the game, perhaps someone who has decompiled the game or just gathered a ton of information from being here for so long. Since a lot of the development is done through coding, I could even use some help with that too!

Though it's also possible to recreate stuff from observation, as I've been doing so far (e.g. by recording the game and counting how many pixels the player moves each frame to find their speed), knowing exactly what is happening under the hood can make it way easier to recreate things accurately. Topics like the internal command list or the stuff in this webpage are the exact kind of thing I'm looking for. :)

And even though there's a lot of info already available, most of it is directed towards custom level making. As such, some details are
simply omitted/not covered, likely because they're only used internally and not relevant to custom levels. I'm mostly looking for these missing bits and pieces, or rather, looking to know if they can be found in some way! :P
(e.g. what each of the flags in the save files is responsible for, how the flickering entity colors are calculated, how the enemy patterns on the Gravitron are decided etc. etc.)

I'd love to hear what you guys think about this project! Tell me if you are or know of someone who'd be interested in helping, and finally, thanks for reading! ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:52:00 PM by Bentroen »

InsomniaCity

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm making a full VVVVVV recreation in Minecraft!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 06:43:58 PM »
You built that? Wow, thatís pretty cool  :viridian: