Author Topic: Green Dudes Can't Flip (A Chief Verdigris Stage)  (Read 369 times)

Theepicosity

• Crewmate
  • kek
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Page:
Green Dudes Can't Flip (A Chief Verdigris Stage)
« on: June 17, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »
This is my first time posting to distractionware forums, so i hope this is right...

In this level, you play as Verdigris. After he successfully teleports to a warp zone, he finds himself stuck and must navigate through the dangerous rooms. All of this would be easier if he could flip...

This is only a first version, so it is kinda buggy. I'm aware of the permanent "Press ACTION" dialog, but if there are any other bugs please tell me. Also, I would recommend restarting VVVVVV after playing, to prevent any side effects.

The file for the level is in the attachment below. Depending on the feedback, I may revise some parts. (or maybe even make a sequel?)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:11:32 AM by Theepicosity »

Balneor

• Professor
    • View Profile
Re: Green Dudes Can't Flip (A Chief Verdigris Stage)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 02:24:02 AM »
Hey dude, how can I download your level ?

Your link brings to the front page of Discord. Are you trying to send your server link, the level being there ?

Theepicosity

• Crewmate
  • kek
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Page:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 06:06:30 AM »
Whoops, sorry about that. I'll replace it with a different link.

Fiefen

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 06:27:40 PM »
This is amazing. This is the most amazing level I have ever played. I don't even care that it is short! You have done things I didn't think you could do in the editor! I know I seem like some fan of some celebrity, but I have a couple of questions...

Did you change the player color? Or did you make the green dude follow your character? And whats with the "checkpoints"? And how do you change the speed of the moving platforms?

Sorry if I seem demanding... its just I thought I knew everything about the editor, and then i found out about scripting, and then I thought I knew everything about the editor, and then found out about direct mode, and THEN I played this. Wow, what a mouthful!

Anyway, if you have any tips or advice(I sound like verdigris lol  :verdigris:), and if you have time(I understand if you don't) I'd love to hear it!

shiny k

• Captain
  • Welcome to the MOTHER3 world
    • View Profile
    • my msuic
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 08:21:33 PM »
i didn't make this level, but...
Did you change the player color? Or did you make the green dude follow your character? And whats with the "checkpoints"? And how do you change the speed of the moving platforms?
use the internal command changeplayercolour() to change the player's color to any of the crew or teleporter
use the internal command setcheckpoint() to set a checkpoint at the player's position
in VED, you can change the speed of moving platforms by selecting them and then changing it here

if you don't know what VED is, it's an external editor with a lot more features and ease of use than the in-game editor. you can't playtest with it yet (so you'll have to keep the game open and load your level when you want to test), but I strongly recommend using it still!!
you can download VED here.

if you dont know what internal scripting is, check out this page! it has useful info and lists on how to use internal scripting.

Theepicosity

• Crewmate
  • kek
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Page:
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »
(edit: looks like i got ninja'd. oh well, ill just post it anyways)

Well, the basic answer to all your questions is: Ved. Ved is an external VVVVVV editor that allows you to do stuff that you can't normally do in the regular VVVVVV editor.

In Ved, one of the tools that you can use is internal scripting. There are a bunch of different internal commands you can use, but most of them break the game because they were meant to be used internally. Only a few, like the changeplayercolour() and setcheckpoint() commands that i used in the level actually work. (Ved provides a full list)

Changing the data of entities is also another aspect of Ved that I used in this level, to make the platforms have different speeds. If you want to use it, you can download it here: https://tolp.nl/ved/download, or look in the description of the ved channel in the vvvvvv discord server. (which, if im not mistaken, i believe you are in)

Fiefen

• Crewmate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 11:33:55 AM »
Woah, I am going to try this! Thanks so much!