There and Back Again

Started by QualityJeverage, July 30, 2011, 08:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QualityJeverage

Hi all,

Been a big fan of VVVVVV since last year, and was overjoyed to see a level editor added this past week.

I put together this level while learning the ins and outs of the editor. It's not overly long and only uses the default 5x5 map, but I had a good time making it and I hope you'll have a good time playing it :viridian:

The level is split into two paths. Both reach the end, but one is easier than the other. I don't think either path is too hard or too easy though. I tried to make it reasonable.

Thanks!

Download Here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13750472/VVVVVV/ThereAndBackAgain.zip

The level has been updated a bit:
- Fixed an issue where you could get stuck by hugging the wall between "You Chose Wisely" and "Last Chance"
- Added music to the first rooms, hopefully this fixes the bug that kills music in the game?

Also, there appears to be an issue that prevents me from being able to update a file that I've attached to this post. There shouldn't be anything attached to this post anymore, but if you see one, don't use it. Please use the link above instead, as that contains the most up-to-date version of the level.

Ice

Pretty fun, the room names are hilarious, and it's not too challenging to be annoying. I originally thought you forgot music, so pulled out winamp and started playing Pushing Onwards on loop, and went to the upper section to find the music worked. I also realized it was probably the easier path, so I started over and went the other way first. After I beat the hard path, I went back to the easy one to find the music not working. Weird. Anyway, I suggest starting off with something like Predestined Fate or Passion for Exploring so people don't get confused, and in case the music triggers don't work (make them bigger or something)

Oh yeah, I just remembered, if you go back from You chose... wisely into Last Chance, and hug the left wall, you get stuck.

Another edit, I think the music not working is something on my side, because I loaded up the main game and heard nothing. Sounds are still working too. I think it's a glitch where if you interrupt the trinket get/crewmate get sound, music won't work until you find another one.

TheoX

That screenshot looks nice.  I'll try this when I get tired of level editing.

QualityJeverage

Quote from: Ice on July 30, 2011, 09:09:55 PM
Pretty fun, the room names are hilarious, and it's not too challenging to be annoying. I originally thought you forgot music, so pulled out winamp and started playing Pushing Onwards on loop, and went to the upper section to find the music worked. I also realized it was probably the easier path, so I started over and went the other way first. After I beat the hard path, I went back to the easy one to find the music not working. Weird. Anyway, I suggest starting off with something like Predestined Fate or Passion for Exploring so people don't get confused, and in case the music triggers don't work (make them bigger or something)

Oh yeah, I just remembered, if you go back from You chose... wisely into Last Chance, and hug the left wall, you get stuck.

Another edit, I think the music not working is something on my side, because I loaded up the main game and heard nothing. Sounds are still working too. I think it's a glitch where if you interrupt the trinket get/crewmate get sound, music won't work until you find another one.

It's not something on your end, I was having a strange issue with music too, also stopping sound in-game entirely until I restart the game.

I've updated the level attached to the main post. Script boxes are larger, I added some default music for those first rooms, and fixed the issue where you got stuck. Thought I'd made sure everything fit, but I missed that one. Thanks for the feedback :)

Wolkenfiech

10/10

love youre lvl.
Nothing more to say. ;)

Ice

Quote from: QualityJeverage on July 30, 2011, 09:22:22 PM
Quote from: Ice on July 30, 2011, 09:09:55 PM

It's not something on your end, I was having a strange issue with music too, also stopping sound in-game entirely until I restart the game.

I've updated the level attached to the main post. Script boxes are larger, I added some default music for those first rooms, and fixed the issue where you got stuck. Thought I'd made sure everything fit, but I missed that one. Thanks for the feedback :)
Stopping in game sound, you probably pressed M, which mutes the game (I don't know why such a feature would exist with Souleye's awesome music). I could still hear sounds though, even though there was no music.

Terry

This is pretty neat! I did both paths. Even the hard part seemed fair most of the time, which I appreciated. I really liked your screenshot room in particular, by the way!

QualityJeverage

Appreciate the positive feedback all :)

I had a great time making this one, looking forward to making more.

Doom

Just finished this, it was pretty fun. No room was too difficult thanks to well placed checkpoints. Got both trinkets. I was really impressed with how you kept it silent in the beginning but play a song depending on which path you choose. How exactly did you do that? I have 0 scripting ability myself but would love to implement something like this.

Ice

Quote from: Doom on July 31, 2011, 01:46:03 AM
Just finished this, it was pretty fun. No room was too difficult thanks to well placed checkpoints. Got both trinkets. I was really impressed with how you kept it silent in the beginning but play a song depending on which path you choose. How exactly did you do that? I have 0 scripting ability myself but would love to implement something like this.
Simply make a script box and name it "passionforexploring" or something. Then open the script in the editor and just put music(4). When you enter that box, passion for exploring will start playing. The number corresponds to the song, and you can find them out in the "Choose music" menu. You can also have multiple script boxes named the same thing that would all connect to that one music changing script.

Doom

Thanks for the help! Playing some more custom made levels made me realize there's a lot of crazy things you can do with scripting...  :vitellary:

QualityJeverage

Worth noting though Doom, there appears to be some kind of issue with my level that can kill music for your game until you close it and open it again. The issue might have something to do with the fact that there is no music playing until you choose one of the two paths. I updated the level so that, rather than silence, there is some music playing.

I thought I had updated the post, but apparently not? I'll take another look and make sure that the file up there right now is the most recent.

EDIT: Should be good now. Attachments seem to be wonky, so I've just added a straight link you can use to download the level now.

TheoX

Rating #012
Enjoyment: 8/10
Aesthetics: 8/10
Novelty: 4/10
Difficulty: 8/10 (hard part)
Room names: 10/10

Concurring with Terry, I think this is the most well-balanced custom level made so far.  I did the hard path first, but the easy one was a slight challenge too.  Loved the Firefly and Minecraft references, and something in there reminded me of a Blue Oyster Cult lyric but that might've just been me.

The rooms looked simple, but they seemed very well thought out.  The names were perfect too, not too cryptic or too informal; in short, they fit.

This is one to feature!