"Varention" by Arkatox

Started by Arkatox, July 31, 2011, 12:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkatox

This level, believe it or not, took me all day to make, and I had a heck of a lot of fun both making and playing it. There are six trinkets, which I think are very fun to get. Seriously, never have I ever had so much fun playing my own creation. The last three rooms (Varention, Platformation, Finalia) are by far the most fun.

So yes, please tell me what you think! The first person to find all trinkets is totally awesome!

Download Old Version
Download New Version (harder to miss a trinket)

Ice

I beat it with 5 out of 6 trinkets, and I think I knew where the last one was too, I just couldn't go back for it. The difficulty really spikes (dohoho) around the room before the one in your picture. It's really fun though, but I didn't really like the falling section (maybe I'm just sick of them). Everything else was solid though.

Arkatox

Yeah, it does spike in difficulty at the end, but I didn't want to change that because it was so fun!

TheoX

Rating #014
Enjoyment: 7/10
Aesthetics: 7/10
Novelty: 4/10
Difficulty: 9.5/10 (for the title room alone)
Room Names: 8/10

I liked this.  Mostly.  I liked the naming, and a lot of the puzzles.  I didn't like not having the option to go back and get the trinket at that vvVVvv (or whatever it was called) screen after I accidentally went into the portal.  Also, the difficulty got kind of insane at the end with loooong rooms with only one checkpoint.  The room named after the level was the hardest by far.  I don't know why I kept trying to beat it, but I did, so I know it's beatable!  You're evil though.

Franz24

Quote from: Arkatox on July 31, 2011, 12:28:58 AM
The first person to find all trinkets is totally awesome!
The first time I played it I had 5 of the six trinkets, now I played it a second time, and here is the evidence:

-feels awesome-
So, what's the reward?  ;D

edit:
I forgot to add a rating.

Great level, it wasn't very unique (just hard), but fun to play!

Originality - ★★★☆☆  - Not very original, just really hard levels.
Room names - ★★★★☆ - I really liked them, they sometimes made me chuckle a bit. (or rage. Falling is fun?  >:( )
Difficulty - ★★★★★  - Especially falling part and the last two rooms were brutal.
Design - ★★★★☆ - Everything looked nice and polished :)

Hardest room - In my opnion the last one, Finalia.
Most fun room - Chuck Norris ofcourse ;) (or the one with the sixth trinket  ::))

Final score: ★★★★☆
Really enjoyed playing it, and I even played it a second time to get every trinket!  ;D

Arkatox

Okay, maybe I should change the VvvvvvvvvV (or whatever) trinket. Thanks for the feedback. :viridian:

Quote from: TheoX on July 31, 2011, 04:23:31 AM
Also, the difficulty got kind of insane at the end with loooong rooms with only one checkpoint.  The room named after the level was the hardest by far.  I don't know why I kept trying to beat it, but I did, so I know it's beatable!  You're evil though.

Really? I thought Finalia was harder. Varention, once you get it down good, is really fun. :viridian:

Quote from: Franz24 on July 31, 2011, 02:03:00 PM
Quote from: Arkatox on July 31, 2011, 12:28:58 AM
The first person to find all trinkets is totally awesome!
The first time I played it I had 5 of the six trinkets, now I played it a second time, and here is the evidence:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25247468/6%20trinkets.jpg
-feels awesome-
So, what's the reward?  ;D

You get a free trophy, so go buy it the first chance you get. ;D

Hardest room - In my opnion the last one, Finalia.

Indeed, those last three were tough. :p

Most fun room - Chuck Norris ofcourse ;) (or the one with the sixth trinket  ::))

You found that, did you? :D

Arkatox

Updated. :) It's now not as easy to miss that super-easy-to-miss-and-therefor-annoying trinket.

bigkahuna

Hey there Arkatox! I just beat your level.

I got 5 out of 6 trinkets.

I enjoyed it, especially the last three levels, but Finalia got annoying right after I died on the next-to-last group of spikes.

I also found the Chuck Norris room, and after that I randomly fell to see the other death traps, and that's how I found one of the trinkets :P

I think that trinket is a bit too hard to find. I found it purely because I was looking for the names of the rooms you could die in.

Darth Plato

I really liked this one!

I have to go back to collect all the trinkets, however.

There are points where you can't go back and you have to start over to go back for trinkets.