"Jail Break" (v1.2.2) by YouKnow

Started by YouKnow, August 01, 2011, 11:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouKnow

Jail Break (v1.2.2)

It's a small little map, 5x5, and it's moderately easy compared to some custom maps I've played.  There's quite a few secrets for its size despite there being only 1 trinket, and it's very script heavy (70 scripts) so, although I'm sure it's bug free, keep an eye out for them anyway.

Tell me what you think, etc.  Personally, I think the finale could be better.

Change Log: (Spoilerz)
v1.2.2:
-Ok, NOW I'm done.  This is the final version until scripting gets updated.  :violet: :violet: :violet:
-Moved triggerred script boxes at the very end so you don't walk into them when the level finishes, which causes the screen to stay black and not go back to the player levels menu.
-Moved music1 script box in diVot to its correct place

v1.2.1:
-GAH fixed triggerintro2/intro2 scripts from repeating if you left the room and came back.  (Since when did that happen anyway?  Scripts seem to change themselves on me.  :victoria:)

v1.2:
-Removed the four trinkets (It uses a flag check instead of a trinket check at the end now)
-Added an actual hidden trinket
-Removed a few spikes from Hey! Listen! (I'm finding it too hard for what it's suppose to be)
-Changed the aesthetics of Sore Throat a bit to match the adjacent room.
-Moved a check point in The Teasing Terminal
-Widened the triggercaptainslog script box so speedy players don't fall into the next room after activating the script
-Moved the checkpoint in diVot for some reason
-Widened a platform in the finale so the checkpoint isn't on the very edge.
-Moved warp tokens around again in the finale
-Widened passage in The Bottom Fork so you don't land on the one block wide ledge as it narrows.
-Also the map is an attachment now instead of a Mediafire link

v1.1.1:
-Removed random room text in diVot (I don't even remember putting that there)
-Took the version number out of the description. (It's in the file name now)

v1.1:
-Added one-way exit in Tight Timing
-Widened the exit in The Clouds, The Cacti, And A Cobra
-Added a checkpoint half way through One-Button Room
-Moved some teleporter tokens furthur away from their respective gravity lines
-Moved the top gravity line in the second finale room to prevent it from disappearing
-Added another secret script

Requests for scripting: (unless I'm stupid and you can already do some of these things.)
-One-time scripts would save time and be less complicated for intro cutscenes.
-Crewmate speech (my map parodies this 5 times)
-Ability to control Viridian's and the crewmates' movement for cutscenes
-Destroy(Warplines)
-Scripts that can be set off again without having to leave the room to reset it.
-Ability to make a conditional script without having to split it up into a trigger script and the actual script.
-ifflagoff()
-if2flag(flag#,flag#,scriptx) or something like that.  I split it up into 3 scripts to accomplish this, which is pretty annoying. Also, I can't seem to get this method to work again. I have to have some text after the ifflag() function for some reason.

TheoX

Ooh is that a keycode sequence?  I must try this. 

Thatguy

I have found a glitch! In the second room of the path to Vermillion, if you hit the gravity line on the ceiling more than once, you end up in the room above. :victoria:

EDIT: This is also a potentional Speedrunning Strategy.

TheoX

Rating #018
Enjoyment: 7/10
Aesthetics: 6/10
Novelty: 8/10
Difficulty: 8.5/10
Room Names: 6/10

Neat level!  My favorite thing about it was finding the keycode.  In fact, the whole concept reminded me of the last level of Within a Deep Forest (one of my favorite games).  Very unique.

I have a few gripes though.  I'll be room specific:

"The Clouds, The Cacti, and a Cobra" - it's really hard to nail that jump.  I tried two different ways, one just "sliding" off the first platform as soon as I entered the room, and two going back and forth on the platforms and trying to jump straight in.  The latter proved harder, but both were very difficult.  I didn't like how narrow that passage was.

"The One Button Room" - again, the narrow passages.  It wouldn't be so bad if there were fewer of them, but this room is another example of being annoyingly repetitive (a problem I see in many levels).  Wasn't enraging, but pretty bad.

"Tight Timing" - It's kind of evil to make the player go backwards through this room (it's much easier the way in).  I recommend a one-way path back to the room before that.

Anyway, it was still pretty fun.  Also the dialogue amused me, and made me sad.  Poor Viridian :victoria:

YouKnow

Thanks for the feedback.

@Thatguy
Yeah, that's one of the things I didn't like about the finale, it's a little buggy.  I went through it a couple times and there wasn't a problem for me.  I'll look back and see what I can do.

EDIT: Oh boy, I just went back and played it and that is a fatal bug.  :victoria:

@TheoX
First of all, thanks for the compliments.  :viridian:  In The Clouds, The Cacti, and Cobra, I was thinking of making the passage a little bigger, but when I was playtesting, it only took me about 20 tries, which I thought was a decent amount.  I might widen that passage by a block or two.

In One-Button Room, I had a checkpoint in the middle of that sequence, which lessened repetitiveness, but it became too easy for me (probably because I went through it 30 times prior to that.)  I'll add that back in next version.

Tight Timing was another easy one for me, and I agree that going back out is harder and probably more annoying since you figured you were done with it.  I suppose I could make another one-way passage and possibly a small and much easier exit challenge for that room (Not enough space).

PJBottomz

I have to apologize.

As you see in my signature, I am working on a level similar to this. I had no idea that this existed until now. I don't want you to think that I'm ripping you off by making my jail level, so, if you feel that I'm simply mimicing your work, which I will not try not to if you let me go on, I'll delete my level. I've only made and scripted 6 out of 400 or so.

YouKnow

Quote from: PJBottomz on August 02, 2011, 05:02:48 AM
I have to apologize.

As you see in my signature, I am working on a level similar to this. I had no idea that this existed until now. I don't want you to think that I'm ripping you off by making my jail level, so, if you feel that I'm simply mimicing your work, which I will not try not to if you let me go on, I'll delete my level. I've only made and scripted 6 out of 400 or so.

No problem.  The name of my map really only comes from the rooms "Ultimatum" and "A Silly Cell".  It's not much of a jail beyond that.  I wouldn't even mind if you made a password room like mine, so go ahead with your map.

PJBottomz

Wow, seriously? Thanks! You're awesome, dude(ette)!

thelocalpostman

Hey! I played through the level and found it to be pretty fun! I thought it was a little on the short size, but that is just my opinion. The difficulty was pretty even and fun. I though the use of scripts was clever and thought the keypad sequence was very neat.  Overall though, it was pretty fun! Can't wait to see what your next level is like!

Terry

Just got round to playing this one! This is very neat, and the difficulty was just right for me! The keypad puzzle is very inventive too, that must have been a nightmare to script, heh.

The mute crewmates made me sad though :victoria:

Officer Captain

I ran into a bug which bars you from the rest of the level -- After rescuing your not-Vermilion crewmates from their holding cells, the terminal which is supposed to let you past in the room "diVot" just states that you may only pass after rescuing 4 crewmates from their cells. Above all, to mock me, it keeps the thick black letterbox lines used for the cutscenes, probably something in the scripting.

...or maybe I'm doing something wrong? :verdigris:

Anyway, through what I had played, it was a relatively fun level. The puzzles here worked, and the dialogue was amusing. Nice work.

YouKnow

Quote from: Terry on August 07, 2011, 10:04:43 PM
Just got round to playing this one! This is very neat, and the difficulty was just right for me! The keypad puzzle is very inventive too, that must have been a nightmare to script, heh.

The mute crewmates made me sad though :victoria:

Thanks!  I didn't find the keypad scripting too hard to make.  I am a novice programmer, so that might've helped a bit.

Also, there's a hidden cutscene that mentions you.  :viridian:  I wonder if anyone has found it yet.

Quote from: Officer Captain on August 08, 2011, 05:10:20 AM
I ran into a bug which bars you from the rest of the level -- After rescuing your not-Vermilion crewmates from their holding cells, the terminal which is supposed to let you past in the room "diVot" just states that you may only pass after rescuing 4 crewmates from their cells. Above all, to mock me, it keeps the thick black letterbox lines used for the cutscenes, probably something in the scripting.

...or maybe I'm doing something wrong? :verdigris:

Anyway, through what I had played, it was a relatively fun level. The puzzles here worked, and the dialogue was amusing. Nice work.

Thanks also!  I just ran though it again and can't seem to replicate the bug you're talking about.  Sounds like a script might have been changed some how.  If you can't get around it, redownloading the level should work.

Franz24

Just played it and it was fantastic!

Loved the puzzles,
loved the keypad,
loved the scripting (and I agree with all your Requests for scripting)
loved the non-talking friends!

One small bug in the final frontier level (well bug, just a mistake), there is a background piece in one of the gravitylines ;)

The difficulty was just like Terry said just right, the hardest level was in my opinion The Clouds, The Cacti, and Cobra
and the last challenge until I found the easy (right) way to do it  ::) (won't spoil it :))

Terry should definitely feature this,
Why? Because it's old-school VVVVVV-fun!

YouKnow

Quote from: Franz24 on August 28, 2011, 10:32:55 PM
Just played it and it was fantastic!

Loved the puzzles,
loved the keypad,
loved the scripting (and I agree with all your Requests for scripting)
loved the non-talking friends!

Terry should definitely feature this,
Why? Because it's old-school VVVVVV-fun!

Thank you, thank you, you're too kind. :P

One small bug in the final frontier level (well bug, just a mistake), there is a background piece in one of the gravitylines ;)

Huh...  I'll get rid of that when I have more stuff to update/fix with it.

The difficulty was just like Terry said just right, the hardest level was in my opinion The Clouds, The Cacti, and Cobra
and the last challenge until I found the easy (right) way to do it  ::) (won't spoil it :))

There's not really a right way to do that one.  It's what ever works first for the player, really.  :viridian:

Damn It AL to Hell

Holy smokes! This level is incredible, you put a lot of unigue stuff in it, the keycode is amazingly programmed, I don't know how you managed to rig those action commands but good work! 10/10 :viridian: