"The Tower of Power" by randomnine

Started by randomnine, August 03, 2011, 04:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomnine

The crew's stranded! Can Captain Viridian find enough energy cells in the Tower of Power to save them?

A fairly large, fairly easy level with a ton of scripting and a few unusual twists.  :)

- download (right click, save as...)

The single best thing about VVVVVV – the thing that made it work, I think – was that it had instant restarts from checkpoints all over the place. You could tackle incredibly hard challenges and failing wasn't a problem, since you were straight back in there for another go.

Yeah, I'm doing things a bit differently.  ;D

The level's built up from several multi-screen challenges off a central hub. The levels aren't that tricky, so take your time, plan ahead and you should do OK!

What surprises lurk at the top of the Tower?

Stampy

Ooh this is a great level.  As a whole the level was really well designed and the concept was really unique.  The level did get a little frustrating in parts, I had trouble finding emergance / the beast within / Spiral for some reason. But other than that it was a lot of fun, and a really unique idea.  The last part worked really well too! I won't give spoilers as to what that is though.

I found a few minor bugs however.  In "Gently does it", before collecting the shiny, you can stand on the platform to the right, directly under the Grav Line and press V to get yourself trapped between the two Grav Lines in the room.

Using the same technique in Riding Higher, you can actually bypass floor F2. by standing on the tile two blocks below the gravline allowing you to do the rooms in a different order to that intended.

Anyway, great work! This level's great.

randomnine

Wow, well spotted! I've uploaded a version with those bugs fixed.

And thanks :)

Thatguy

Oh wow.
For me, the download link resulted in a bunch of scripting. It appears to be the VVVVVV level, yet it does not put it in downloads. :victoria:

Stampy

Quote from: Thatguy on August 03, 2011, 08:06:29 PM
Oh wow.
For me, the download link resulted in a bunch of scripting. It appears to be the VVVVVV level, yet it does not put it in downloads. :victoria:

You need to right click on the download link up there and click "save link as".

Quote from: randomnine on August 03, 2011, 07:35:40 PM
Wow, well spotted! I've uploaded a version with those bugs fixed.

And thanks :)

No problem! I'll try it out again with those things fixed! I do highly recommend this level though, it's great.

mint301

Enjoyed it, and 100%ed it.
IMO there should be a check point on F0, F1, F2, F3, as you can travel from the beginning of the game to them points without anything which physically could kill you, so travelling each death is just frustrating.
Also, I got lost a bit and the Bypass room made me think it was usable, but it wasn't because the gravity line disappears just after you touch it during the room transition.
Finally, I understood the whole binary thing at the end, but couldn't figure out how to make it work to remove the gravity line. I 100%ed the level by glitching through that particular gravity line.
If you do make any changes let me know because I'd love to replay it again (so long as I'm not backtracking really far after each death)

randomnine

edit: Nothing to see here. (I tried adding checkpoints, but ultimately it just took away from the level concept.)

PJBottomz

randomine, Terry featured your level!

randomnine

PJBottomz

Well, you deserve congratulations! This is one professional level and it got featured!

SirBryghtside

I tried it, but... the lack of checkpointing kind of takes away from why I liked VVVVVV in the first place. It looks cool, and nice work on the scripting, but I guess it's just not for me :)

PJBottomz

You, sir, are a genius! The jokes have me rolling on the floor! :D I'm having a problem beating the top, though. I'll get it eventually.

TheoX

Quote from: SirBryghtside on August 04, 2011, 12:36:54 AM
I tried it, but... the lack of checkpointing kind of takes away from why I liked VVVVVV in the first place. It looks cool, and nice work on the scripting, but I guess it's just not for me :)

I agree.  I died on the "helix"-something screen, and lost motivation because I had to start at the beginning.  I liked approaching the screens differently, but I had a hard time with going backwards through that one and it just made me frustrated.

Kudos on getting featured though.  This one's definitely unique and neat.  It's just not my style, I guess.

Martze

This level made me way angrier than almost any of the others. I actually do worse when I try to slow down and play it safe, so I just had to try each section again, and again, and again until I passed it.

I enjoyed it very much.

dinoquark

Nice!
Also, it's possible to jump past the lock puzzle at the top by mashing the flip button until you brush up against the warp token through the gravity inverter.  :viridian: