"Spike Hell" by Arkatox

Started by Arkatox, August 04, 2011, 09:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkatox

CAUTION: You are going to hate this level. Seriously, if the level's creator himself hates it, you'll hate it as well.

"Spike Hell" is a 5x1 level featuring pretty much... spikes and death. You don't know how many gazillion times I've had to edit it to make it easier to get it how it is now. There was originally a trinket that was used as a hint as to what to do in one of the rooms, but I decided it wasn't needed.

It took me a few days to make, and I believe my best run had over 400 deaths.

Anyway, if you're up to a real challenge:
Download from MediaFire

TheoX

...well at least it appears to have ample checkpoints, judging from your screenshot.  Though I probably would indeed hate this, I'm gonna try it after I get some dinner!

TheoX

yeah, I hated it, haha.  I really despise those 2-block-wide openings, especially when they are everywhere like in this level.  Congrats (or something) for being the first person to make this level, I knew it was coming.

Wonder if anyone else will be insane enough to beat it.  I gave up on room 2.

Arkatox

Rooms 2 and 4 were the most brutal.

And yeah, it was bound to happen. I figured since it would, I'd be the first to do it. :P

bigkahuna

That map was actually *kind of* fun.

Anyway.

Design: 5/5

It was really well designed. I could tell you placed each individual spike with care, as the jumps were just right and barely possible. That must have been hell to playtest, too.

Difficulty: 3.5/5

I know it's meant to be impossibly difficult, but some of it was just plain annoying. I died about 50 times just trying to edge my way into line for the jump next to the checkpoint ;)

Enjoyment: 4/5

I really enjoyed it, just because after I reached a checkpoint I felt so good about myself. However, most other people would not be able to finish this challenge or would give up before completing it.

Originality: 4/5

The spike jumps and 'puzzles' were really good, just because of how well it was designed. You took a pretty average concept and turned it into a great challenge.

Overall: 4/5

NOTE: The level was rated based on the fact that it was meant to be insanely difficult.

NOW FOR PICS.

I'm proud to say that I beat the level AND beat you in amount of deaths ;D

I'm not crazy, just driven. Also, ignore the time taken - I took a pretty long break (as recommended by the terminal).

Arkatox

TheoX

bigkahuna

Arkatox

What did you think of the terminal at the end? :D

bigkahuna

I was not expecting that at all :P

It ruined my life :'(

LeinonenDeluxe

No, I can't say i hated it at all.  :viridian: I guess I got a bit lucky, but it was definitly easier than I thought.
That's because I made it with only 216 deaths!    :vermillion:
Nice ending, by the way!

Arkatox

Hmm, nice! I don't really consider myself as great at :-* as I could be, so that's probably why my death count is worse than both of you guy's.

n51

Nice little challenge! :)
The first time I made it through I didn't remember to look at the stats (probably around 250-300 deaths), but when I tried it the second time I managed to get through with only 161 deaths! ;D

Arkatox

All of my good runs were during testing, and since it was... you know... during testing, I only played like a room or part of a room at a time. Lol.

PJBottomz

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR! FLOATING SPIKES!

:'( Aratox, this is just OCD and VVVVVV torture.