Palace of Peril by Blublu

Started by Blublu, August 06, 2011, 04:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psychopath

That was a great challenge. I found it very enjoyable; I completed with all 7 trinkets on my blind run of the stage. Very inventive stuff, I look forward to seeing your future stages if you choose to continue designing them.

My only main annoyance was that I needed to keep reusing the terminal when respawning while trying to get the final trinket. I have left, right, v etched into memory, I'm not accustomed to reaching over to press return frequently while I'm playing VVVVVV unless it's a cutscene or I'm purposely trying to read what a terminal has to say.

Oh, and almost all of the rooms were unnamed, disappointing. There could have been a number of creative ones to go with the rooms but that's your own prerogative to address, not mine.

sfemet

Awesome level!  Thanks.

One of, if not my favorite player level so far.  Nice work.

Sendy

Really enjoying this level, though I'm having trouble getting the first trinket in the yellow zone. The one which has the gravity lines that need to be hit three times. I can make them disappear, but by the time I get around to the other side, the lines are reset!  :victoria:

Besides that snag I think I've seen almost everything... Interestingly enough, while I found the numbered gravity lines very inventive, I enjoyed much more your work with vanilla gravity lines, dissolving platforms and terminals. There were some really neat puzzles!

Blublu

Thanks for commenting everyone. Yeah, I have been thinking about this level, and I'm going to go over it again, give names to many of the rooms and also, I'm going to make it a bit easier to complete. Or maybe a lot easier.

Other than that, it is a little bit unpolished now because frankly, I got completely sick of it, and when it was "finished" I just didn't want to work on it for a while. You might also notice that the final area (the lab) is pretty rushed, especially the part leading up to the trinket area.

Anyway I appreciate your comments and I will release a new improved version ........ whenever I feel like it :) but hopefully soon.

QuoteI'm having trouble getting the first trinket in the yellow zone. The one which has the gravity lines that need to be hit three times. I can make them disappear, but by the time I get around to the other side, the lines are reset!  :victoria:
Remember, every time you touch a checkpoint, all gravity lines are reset. So you actually have to avoid all check points between unlocking and getting the trinket. :P And if you die, that also counts as touching a check point, since ... err, you touch one the moment you respawn. Edit: or at least, the checkpoints on the screen right after "unlock". Brreeehhhhdhhh

I will probably make that particular trinket a little easier to get in the next version. As well as making absolutely clear the mechanics of the numbered gravity lines, probably by an informative terminal.

QuoteMy only main annoyance was that I needed to keep reusing the terminal when respawning while trying to get the final trinket. I have left, right, v etched into memory, I'm not accustomed to reaching over to press return frequently while I'm playing VVVVVV unless it's a cutscene or I'm purposely trying to read what a terminal has to say.
I will look into that and see if I can make it more streamlined. See, this is the kind of insight you just can't get by playing by yourself. :P Thanks!

Sendy

White text to prevent spoilers:

My problem is that 2 screens above the screen called 'unlock', if I've opened the gravity lines on the trinket room, there will be no gravity lines in this room, and therefore I can't get through here to the trinket room, and must throw myself onto the spikes in the upper left cavity.

I'm seriously stumped here. Is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Psychopath

Quote from: Sendy on August 26, 2011, 04:18:55 PMI'm seriously stumped here. Is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

If I remember the room correctly, just move to the right and it'll work itself out

Info Teddy

/ wou\d \/ke to /nform you that a\\ of your scr/pts repeat. That needs to be f/xed, and /s counted as annoy/ng \eve\ des/gn by the major/ty.

The Brass

Just in case someone else still gets stumped on it:

It is possible to get stuck on the trinket in the yellow zone. The problem is that the only checkpoints which reset the 2-gravline just before the trinket are the three in the room below the 2-gravline. From those, it is impossible to reach the 3-gravline that unlocks the trinket without hitting the 2-gravline. The way back is blocked by the 7-gravline; the way forward requires hitting the 2-gravline at least once. If the 2-gravline isn't fully reset, you can't get through its room without hitting any checkpoints.

Thus, it's only possible to get the trinket on the first time you pass throught the 7-gravline. If you die or hit a checkpoint between that and getting the trinket, you can no longer get it. This applies even if you never unlocked the 3-gravline covering the trinket. So what you have to do is flawlessly get the trinket the first time you play the yellow zone. If you make any mistake, you have to reset.