Soul Searching (v2.0)

Started by Martze, August 08, 2011, 06:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJBottomz

Played version 1.3

Thanks for fixing Tenderized Veal! But, I hate an issue with a room...

SPOILER:

In Virtue and Vice, I'm lost. I can't find how to get out of it. I know that the backing is a hint whether or not you'll warp back into the room or go to the next one, but when I get to the end, I just warp back into Security Sweep. Help! :victoria:

Martze

Quote from: PJBottomz on August 19, 2011, 03:19:14 PM
Played version 1.3

Thanks for fixing Tenderized Veal! But, I hate an issue with a room...

If you go all the way to the left side of Vice and Virtue, and end up back at the beginning of Vice, you are going too far.

There are two rooms. There are four edges in each room. Anything marked with backing is a warp. Going down from Vice takes you to Virtue, going up from Virtue takes you to Vice. Going right from Vice takes you back to Security Sweep. So...

Martze

I had a stupid bug in Midgardsormr because I didn't test it. At all. It's gone now.

Also my changelog for 1.3 was incomplete, so I went back and fixed it.

Trepa Mayfield

Just curious--what is the totally awesome custom song you used for this level? I'd like to download it separately.

Martze

It's not a custom song. Paced Energy is one of the two new songs in VVVVVV 2.0, which were originally written for SoulEye's "A New Dimension." It's on the song selection screen, with the others. I, myself, would very much like to download it.

PJBottomz, did you figure out how to get past Vice and Virtue? I can hint more strongly if I need to.

PJBottomz

I haven't attempted yet, but, your hint was, uh... ???

Martze

Look for an edge doesn't have backing and therefore isn't a warp line. There's the one you came in, which is in Vice. Can you find any others?

PJBottomz

Okay, finally beat it. I didn't know you were supposed to exit on the right side.

If I wasn't playing with invincibility, I never would have won. Those shocks paused me in places where I easilly could've died.

FlamingBanana

WHAT, PjBottomz? You played this with invincibility on? What was that for? Its not that difficult if you're smart about it. :verdigris:
Seriously, this is an awesome level with some very neat concepts. Keep up the good work Martze!

PJBottomz

You can just call me PJ. Saying my whole username can be a mouthful. :o

Anyway, yes I did. I'm good at making levels, not playing them. Honestly, multiple times I would have died from the shocks. (XD That sounded different than intended)

Despite that, it is still VERY creative and completely deserves to be featured.

At last I finish this, really a nice work  :viridian:  I think that there is a little problem with "Emergency Exit": The row's enemy of the right border has been located in the screen for to use only one point? pixel? of space, but starting to play they get automatically moved a bit to the left, so moving from the save point in "Ready" to the left can to kill you automatically...

Martze

bah. easy enough to fix, but I hate the number of revisions I've already made to this level.

Psychopath

Quote from: Martze on August 30, 2011, 05:11:23 AM
bah. easy enough to fix, but I hate the number of revisions I've already made to this level.
I once had to put something through 20 beta releases before I had a stable build. It just depends on how badly you want to have your creation to be perfected.

Granted mine was a videogame and the subsequent releases were mainly comprised of bugfixes for things that I broke when I was adding features and yours is a level, my point still stands. How badly do you want perfection?

Martze

I don't mind putting in the effort. I just think putting up a sixth revision to a 50-screen VVVVVV level makes it look like I am sloppy, or like I am George Lucas.

Psychopath

Quote from: Martze on August 30, 2011, 06:28:09 PM
I don't mind putting in the effort. I just think putting up a sixth revision to a 50-screen VVVVVV level makes it look like I am sloppy, or like I am George Lucas.
Trust me, for large projects, it's expected to go through several iterations to get just right. It's not reasonable to expect a single person to be able to catch everything by himself, it's a lot to cover. Having additional eyes will allow further improvements to be made.