"Zany Protocol" by FlamingBanana

Started by FlamingBanana, August 10, 2011, 11:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamingBanana

Zany protocol 1 [by FlamingBanana]

The security in this place is insane.

I spent a lot of time working on this and i hope you like it!
Its my first attempt at a VVVVVV level.
(And yes, the Prize For The Cleverly Stupid trinket is broken. Sorry. Go and take it if you wish.  :victoria: )

Dl link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36647697/z1P.vvvvvv
XML link: (i so totally did not need to include this) http://pastebin.com/86UY98aC

Version 1.0-Initial release

FlamingBanana

TheoX

Rating #034
Enjoyment: 6/10
Aesthetics: 6/10
Novelty: 4/10
Difficulty: 7.5/10
Room names: 7/10

This level needs a bit of work, I think.  Its worst aspect was probably that the level was a complete labyrinth, which wouldn't be a bad thing if there weren't so many RAE's (room alignment errors) - it's possible in MANY of the screens to go out one side and be stuck in a wall in another.  Also the maze-like quality of the level with no clear direction could easily cause the player to miss vital crewmates, especially in the "Bundle" area.

Rooms that particularly need improvement:

"Welcome to the Twilight Zone" - there's a little opening in the left that lets the player escape into space.  Actually, this was also a GOOD thing, because flying through space and drifting through walls was the only way I could reach "Cornered", since it's impossible to get in the opening behind the warp point in "I Can See My Reflection".  Vermillion was my final crewmate and I had to glitch out to get to him.

"Ledge Fund" - this room is a total mess.  The room name covers up the floor, or lack thereof, and I couldn't tell exactly what I was doing when one of the warp points threw me into a wall.  Also I never found my way to the top left area, and still have no idea how to get there even after finishing the level.

"Timing is Everything" (I think this was the name) - you should tell the player that the left way leads to a crewmate.

There were more rooms with problems but I can't remember them, so these are the general problems with the level that you should fix or remember when you make your next level:
- Make sure the bottom layer of a room is at least two blocks thick, so the room name doesn't cover it up.
- Make sure crewmates are in places where the player would normally go, or is led to go.
- Make sure that the player cannot reach places where they can go through the walls.
- Above all, playtest.  Make sure your own level is fun, coherent, and playable before you release it.  Get a friend or sibling to play it!

I actually did enjoy this level a little bit, if just for exploring, but it would have been a lot more fun if the level was overall coherent.  This needs to be smoothed out. ;)

Status: Completed (minus one trinket, dunno where the hell it was)

FlamingBanana

Thanks for the feedback! I'll release a new version with all these fixed.

I'll try to make my next level a little less labyrinthine.

Also, can you name which trinkets you did get so i can single out which one you didn't?

EDIT: Getting past the warp token in "I can see my reflection" IS possible. Since the room warps vertically, you have to approach from underneath. Otherwise, I am fixing the rest of the problems and a new release should be out tomoro.