Linux version

Started by tremby, January 14, 2010, 01:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinx2582

Alright, I think I've narrowed down why the linux version doesn't work.  Granted, you probably already knew this much Terry, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Demo = flash 9
Full = flash 10

That's the only difference I can determine between the demo and the full version, and it would probably account for the compatibility issues.

Have you tried building the game in just flash 9?  Of course I have no idea if that is even feasible given potential differences and feature support between the two versions of flash.  I'm clearly not a programmer. :P

Terry

Yep, tried that. :victoria:

(the reason why is because a lot of people are still using flash 9 as their browser plug in, so it makes sense to use it there - but flash 10 makes way more sense for the standalone version because it's just a lot better)

dinx2582

Yeah, figured as much.  :victoria:  Thanks for the feedback.

ScannerDarkly

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
x86_64
wine-1.3.9
Nvidia driver: 173.14.22

Works fine in a window. If fullscreen, then freezes. Relaunch game also relaunched in fullscreen. This results in a black screen. Solution is to copy the folder to another location and relaunch the .exe with Wine, which launches it back into window mode. Maximizing the window is an alternative solution if you want fullscreen.

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour? I shall also be trying this on Arch Linux which a more recent nvidia driver, as well as an Intel chipset with Ubuntu and Arch respectively.

Arkatox

I say just put VVVVVV in the Humble Bundle #3 and no questions asked. The HB people always make sure all games are for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Pilzi

Terry didnt you want to make a C++ rewrite of the game?  :viridian:

Terry

Sure, but with Nexus City and Self Destruct 2 and [other secret project] I don't see myself having time for that.

(Mind you, if it meant being in the next HiB, I could probably shuffle things around a bit. :viridian:)

Arkatox

Terry, I need to play the rest of your games. :)

If I ever got a Linux computer (which is doubtful, since I'm used to Windows so much), I'd send the U.S. Government a terrorist threat that if you (regardless of what country you're from) don't make a Linux version of the game . . . well . . . I'll use my imagination.

So, if I ever get a Linux, MAKE A VERSION FOR IT! :vermillion:

ScannerDarkly

Took me a while to find it, but here -- Linux/WINE save file kept:

Windows uses Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\<string>\localhost\Program Files\VVVVVV\VVVVVV.exe

Linux save found in:
~/.wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Apllication\ Data/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects/<string>/localhost ... ...

jarreboum

Quote from: Terry on January 26, 2010, 07:55:35 PM
Yep, tried that. :victoria:

(the reason why is because a lot of people are still using flash 9 as their browser plug in, so it makes sense to use it there - but flash 10 makes way more sense for the standalone version because it's just a lot better)

Now Linux users have flash 10 too! My version is 10.2.159 and I'm using an OS that was out in april 2010.

Does it change anything to you? maybe your build will work better with this version?

Terry

Yeah, I tried the April build, both of Flash and AIR. It's still suffering from the same basic problems that made it impossible before, unfortunately.

staz

The Humble Bundle promotion says VVVVVV works on linux now, is this true? Already own it but I'm going to buy the bundle if it mean I can now play it natively on Linux

Whirligig

VVVVVV 2.0 has been completely re-coded in C++, so yes, it works in Linux with no more pesky Flash problems. At least from what I've heard. Terry can verify.

Terry

Quote from: staz on July 26, 2011, 05:20:41 PM
The Humble Bundle promotion says VVVVVV works on linux now, is this true? Already own it but I'm going to buy the bundle if it mean I can now play it natively on Linux

Yep, it works on Linux, natively! Getting it to work properly on Linux was one of the big motivations behind the port :)

staz

Thanks for the informations ;)