Author Topic: Ship Invader  (Read 2408 times)

Alcrantos

Ship Invader
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »
Hello, everyone who reads this! I wanted to try out the level editor, so I made a fairly short level. This is that level. I didn't want to put this up at first because I didn't deem it "worthy" compared to the other levels, but the only way I'm going to get better is if I listen to what other people have to say!
So, after you're done playing feel free to leave some feedback, whether positive or negative. Hope you enjoy it!!    :viridian:

EDIT: First version was a bit too difficult, so now, the new version is out! A bit easier, but I didn't remove ALL the challenge!  ;)

EDIT: Even MORE revising! I'm not removing this version unless someone finds a glitch, but be warned it may be difficult! I was able to make it through only dying 3 times, and I can't even get higher than an A in the time trials, so it shouldn't be too bad.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:32:31 PM by Alcrantos »

TheoX

• Professor
  • Platformer Connoisseur / level rater
    • View Profile
    • TheoX's Site of Miscellany
Re: Ship Invader
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:14:46 AM »
Rating #036
Enjoyment: 6/10
Aesthetics: 6/10
Novelty: 5/10
Difficulty: 9.5/10
Room Names: 7/10

Hot damn this was a hard level.  Luckily it was short, or I would have gone crazy. :D  The level's looks and room names were alright, nothing worth mentioning; my main problems are with the room design:

"Road Trip" - this is probably the hardest room.  The narrow passage to jump into, the huge double vault over the spikes, the platform that pushes you into the spikes when you're trying to time the jumps right... argh!!  It was easier backwards, but you're evil for making the timing so tight.  I think the spike pillars should both have their left column shaved off, it would make the room more reasonable...

"It's all in the timing" - please put a checkpoint in here somewhere!  Three hard challenges in a row without saving is not a nice thing to do to your players!

"Reveal" - the top of this room is just... ridiculous.  There should either be less spikes, more room, or more checkpoints.  I'm surprised at myself that I was actually able to get through.

"I <3 Warps" - a checkpoint would be nice between the platform section and the conveyor section.  Very tedious.

"SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!" - when you go to the right screen, you can go in the walls because they are too close to the edge.  They should be moved out.  (btw is this a Portal 2 reference?)

This is an alright level but the difficulty is too high for me to really enjoy it.  I wonder how other people will fare on its challenges.

Status: Completed (minus one trinket - It's all in the Timing is too hard for me)

Alcrantos

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize it was such a hard level! Now that I've heard what you think, I might go back and tone down the difficulty a bit.
In response to "Road Trip", I actually thought it was easier forwards than backwards! I think the "shaving of the pillars" is a good idea though.

For "It's all in the timing", I can add a checkpoint in there, but that trinket was supposed to be very hard to get!  :vermillion:

I knew something was going to be wrong with "Reveal", but I couldn't figure out what. I'll add more space with less spikes, like you suggested.  :viridian:

"I <3 Warps" is easy enough, I'll put in a checkpoint, and maybe mess with the level a bit.

"SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!" was not a big surprise, I was worried that would happen.  :victoria:
Also, yes that is a Portal 2 reference.  :viridian:

Glad you let me know, I should take that into account if I make another level. I was worried someone might tear it apart, since it's my first level.

Anyway, I'll make those changes and update as soon as I can!

PJBottomz

• Captain
  • Chibi Toast. It kicks your ass for miles.
    • View Profile
    • PJBottomz First Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:37 PM »
I'm sorry, but after dying 78 times on the second screen, I am pissed. >:( So if I come off as rude, I apologize ahead.

"There and Back Again" is ENTIRELY too fucking hard. You need to remove some damn spikes in there! Especially the ones on the edge (see attachments).

I quit at that point, so I don't know about anything else. Please, revise this level.

Alcrantos

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:28:46 PM »
You don't have to worry about coming off as rude! This is more or less a learning experience for me. It is my first level made in any level editor ever, so don't worry about it!  :viridian:
In any case, I'm about to upload another version, and I removed those spikes just for you  ;)
I also changed some of the later levels, and added some things to make it a bit easier.
Sorry for the frustration!

PJBottomz

• Captain
  • Chibi Toast. It kicks your ass for miles.
    • View Profile
    • PJBottomz First Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
Thanks. As for the frustration, I'm just an irritable person.