VVVVVV on android [gameplay video + tutorial]

Started by BubblegumBalloon, August 18, 2011, 11:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubblegumBalloon

My friend said to me yesterday he thought it would be cool if VVVVVV was playable on android phones so I found a way to play it  :viridian:

Gameplay of VVVVVV on Android:
http://youtu.be/z0PDopPxoUI

(old gameplay video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOP31TLKeAQ

Tutorial:
1. download and install swf player
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.issess.flashplayer&hl=en

2. Get the swf version of VVVVVV and save it to your phone (make sure you own the game! I wont help you find this file.)

3. get astro file manager (or any other file manager that works you) then long tap on your homescreen, choose shortcuts, choose astro, browse to where you saved VVVVVV and choose it.

4. all done! now just click on the icon to launch the game.

PS: if you phone has a d-pad or a physical keyboard you can use them to play the game as well

SoulEye

Terry

Heh, cool. It looks like it's running pretty ok too, though a little slow.

I really like those new android phones with the game pad. I've got an android, but I can't imagine playing something like VVVVVV with a touch screen.

PJBottomz

Damn, that WOULD suck! Imagine trying to complete the final level with a touch screen...

dinx2582

Excellent, finally an app that can run this the right way!  Of course, a native port would be awesome, but I'll be damned if I'm going to stare this gift horse in the face!  Thanks for the info!

edit:  Nope, I get the same results that every other flash player/version of the flash plugin has given me, which is that it just sits there at 1% loading.

Is there some kind of configuration setting that should be adjusted from the default?

edit2:  Oh, I noticed the video shows the demo running, which is more or less all I could get running in the past myself.  IIRC, Terry said something about the demo being flash9 vs. the full game being flash10 and that being the functional difference.

Any confirmation that the full version actually works using this method?  It doesn't look to me like anything has changed in that regard.

<sigh>  Oh well, back to waiting for someone to address the C rewriter android port request I made in another topic *cough*cough* :P  (I don't mind if it's not something you want to do/want done, Terry, but at least let us know either way, please!)

Terry

I would like to do a native android port myself, but I don't want to promise anything I can't deliver.

BubblegumBalloon

The game actually does run very smoothly on my phone, it runs full speed and has a high framerate (though not as high as on the PC) and there are much more powerful phones than mine out there anyways haha.

And I could only test with the demo since I only have the C++ version of vvvvvv. I used to have the flash version but the steam update overwrote it.  :victoria:

dinx2582

Same here.  The demo runs at what appears to be full speed on my Motorola Droid [Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 RC1, overclocked to a mere 800mhz (stock is 600mhz)].

Anyway, you'll find that the demo works fine on Android, but unfortunately for the reasons mentioned above the full version will refuse to load (hangs at 1%), which again is an issue across all linux distributions.  I don't know much detail beyond that, but I think Terry briefly explained it to me once.  Long story short it's something that Adobe should be fixing as opposed to finding workarounds/hacks at the developer end of things.

BubblegumBalloon

Actually the flash version of the full game works on my phone as well, But since I only have the C++ version of the game from steam I tried a version that was being hosted on 7chan? Im not sure if thats a legit version of the game or not? (just thought you should know in case its not) but the game was locked to only run from that website, so on android it refused to go past the title screen.

This is proof that the full version does run on android though, but I cant play it unless I can download the older version from steam or the humble bundle website.

Here hoping to an official android version in the future. :)

dinx2582

The full version works, huh?  Interesting...  I wonder what it is about your phone that allows it work when it doesn't appear to work on any other linux setup, i386, amd64, or even arm.  I take it you're using the latest Adobe Flash apk from the market?  Then again the video showed an Xperia, and if that's what you're using, there certainly could be some different/custom modifications to things.  Who knows?  Makes me wish I knew a bit more about this stuff, in which case I'd grab a copy of the Xperia rom and poke around.

BubblegumBalloon

Quote from: dinx2582 on August 20, 2011, 12:16:16 AM
The full version works, huh?  Interesting...  I wonder what it is about your phone that allows it work when it doesn't appear to work on any other linux setup, i386, amd64, or even arm.  I take it you're using the latest Adobe Flash apk from the market?  Then again the video showed an Xperia, and if that's what you're using, there certainly could be some different/custom modifications to things.  Who knows?  Makes me wish I knew a bit more about this stuff, in which case I'd grab a copy of the Xperia rom and poke around.

Yeah im using the latest version of flash player on my phone. I think it works because my phone has gingerbread which is the latest android OS. theres nothing else really different about my phone compared to others that would allow it to run. :/

dinx2582

I doubt it's because you're running Gingerbread, because that's what I'm running, too.  Oh well, no worries.

Damn It AL to Hell

Wow, whatever we think it can't do, Droid does  :D

ghoul02

Up and running on a Droid X. Love it. Full speed with no slowdown at all.

Although I will go on the record and say that I will buy an official VVVVVV Android port. And it would be so easy... Just require Froyo or above, no problem.